Serious question?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About 30-40 world class, the rest are dead money amateurs.
I’d say 780 Fargo and above constitutes World Class. There are currently 76 in the world that meet that criteria. Amateurs should not be allowed to simply pay an entry to play in a professional event. Amateurs should have to earn the spot by way of qualifiers.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s the reason why pro’s don’t really come here any more. Guys like you with knowledge leave because jack off’s who covered their table in the basement and ran a few racks on it think they’re master table mechanics and world champions. I mostly come here for the comedy these days. Then I head to the golf course to be around people who don’t care what equipment you use… don’t think they know everything about the game because they got a birdie once and enjoy playing And don’t think that unless you gamble every penny you have on a game you’ll never be good at it.
So you play mini golf ?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
For the same reasons professional race car drivers race on slick tires without speed limits and with cars sitting an inch above the road getting 3 MPG.
while passenger car tires are treaded, confined to legal speeds, and cars average 6 inches of ground clearance, getting over 15 MPG.

These are "different" enough that "different" rules SHOULD apply.

One would not want race team personnel deciding passenger car specifications.
One would not want casual driver to decide the specifications of a race car, either.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Over in the golf world, the players have to adjust to all kinds of grass surfaces, all kinds of weather circumstances, put up with the occasional equipment failure, and just plain bad luck.
As to clothe:: I like Simonis.
As to Balls:: I like Duramith.
As to chalk:: I like Masters.
As to pockets:: 142º entrance angle for corner pockets and 103º entrance angles for side pockets.
The reason people don't agree on stuff is that it is expensive to change if what you agree to is not what you have on hand.

I agree. But 142° facings with a 1 to 2-inch shelf is a mean pocket for most average players. With that said, I think that's a good standard pocket size for professional and upper level amateur players.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
As the ambassador of overkill engineering to justify overcharging maybe it’s time for you to revolutionize the game again.

Start making tables with pockets so tight not even one ball will fit. Then everyone will have to figure out how to make the balls bounce in.

Save our sport please.
3 dimensional pool. This is a job for justnum.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
when the pockets reach too tight for a less than very top player to run a rack. then they soon realize the disadvange they have against a better player who can. so the entries will drop by attrition. and when they drop out it isnt easy to recover them by changing back.
Human nature. But sport used to be about distillation of the finest. And besides if marksmanship is weak in a sport of marksmanship, duh...

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
pool is not all marksmanship. its really three qualities.

1. marksmanship/ shooting straight
2. ability to control the path and speed of the cueball.
3. decision making and planning your future shots and positions.

too tight of pockets limit the last two things. and destroys the balance in the game.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pool is not all marksmanship. its really three qualities.

1. marksmanship/ shooting straight
2. ability to control the path and speed of the cueball.
3. decision making and planning your future shots and positions.

too tight of pockets limit the last two things. and destroys the balance in the game.
One and 2 go hand in hand where 2 is a function of 1.
At a very real level, 3 is dependent solely on the quality of 1.

In other words, een Rasha, Gorst heff more headroom.

Justaneng

Registered
I mean, who is really in charge of this games future growth? Who gave these people the power to decide on what the VIEWING fans want to see, or NOT want to see????
For a while it appeared to be nobody, now Matchroom wants to do some stuff. And the question isn't about the current crop of fans, as the current fan base can only drive enough revenue to put up small prizes and can't support a strong professional pool base, at least in the USA.

The question is "what do the prospective fans of pool want to see?" The common thinking here is that this means smaller, digestible sets that take place in the range of an hour or two. To make short sets meaningful, then the idea comes in to make the table tougher, in an attempt to extract the performance difference between someone performing at a Fargo 830 rate from someone performing at a Fargo 810 rate.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sources are only interested in opportunity. Bet some stagnant funds, see if it takes. It's the players that need to get to the grindstone and learn to do the pool.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
Serious question for everyone. How is it that people that can't run a rack of balls in 9 or 10 ball, get to decide just exactly how a pool table should play for the Pros? How do they even determine how the pockets should accept or reject balls, in order to create what they call FAIR pockets?? No one seems to be able to agree on shit, let alone which cloth is the best for the Pros to play on, yet, their OPINION seems to put them in charge of this sport! What are the best balls, best chalk, best of anything for the Pros, if it's the NON PROS doing all the deciding??? Sales, THAT’S how its all determined, SALES!!!

I mean, who is really in charge of this games future growth? Who gave these people the power to decide on what the VIEWING fans want to see, or NOT want to see????

Who has the power to decide what's the best for the Professional players? I'd like to know!
Emily is in charge.
She's an expert.

Feel better now.?

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Serious question for everyone. How is it that people that can't run a rack of balls ............... I mean, who is really in charge of this games future growth? Who gave these people the power to decide on what the VIEWING fans want to see, or NOT want to see????

Who has the power to decide what's the best for the Professional players? I'd like to know!
I'm pretty sure the future of Pool is tied to Bonus Ball

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
True, just the outfield is different.

But basketball ball would have been a better example of uniformity.

Throughout gyms, parks, and driveways around the world, basketball hoops are almost always 10 feet (3 meters) off the ground. Some leagues for young children play on shorter hoops, but from junior high schools through the professional leagues, the game is played on hoops of the standard 10-foot height.

Even though players today are much taller, they haven't raised the rims to 12' like it was in the past.
I understand what you’re saying, but just for informational purposes, the WNBA use a smaller basketball diameter. I’m not sure if that affects your argument.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I don't think real Professional pool players should ever be required to play against any amateurs in tournaments.
I’d say 780 Fargo and above constitutes World Class. There are currently 76 in the world that meet that criteria. Amateurs should not be allowed to simply pay an entry to play in a professional event. Amateurs should have to earn the spot by way of qualifiers.

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think real Professional pool players should ever be required to play against any amateurs in tournaments.
One thing that is great about pool is that you can enter a tournament and play the best players in the world. What other sport can you do that? It should be embraced.

The issue that pool has is logistics. To have major tournaments you have to set up venues. If you have a tournament in a pool room realistically how many spectators are you going to get? It's not fun to sit around and watch pool all day and then when you want to play there's no tables because they're all being used for the tournament.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
For the same reasons professional race car drivers race on slick tires without speed limits and with cars sitting an inch above the road getting 3 MPG.
while passenger car tires are treaded, confined to legal speeds, and cars average 6 inches of ground clearance, getting over 15 MPG.

These are "different" enough that "different" rules SHOULD apply.

One would not want race team personnel deciding passenger car specifications.
One would not want casual driver to decide the specifications of a race car, either.
Over in the golf world, the players have to adjust to all kinds of grass surfaces, all kinds of weather circumstances, put up with the occasional equipment failure, and just plain bad luck.
As to clothe:: I like Simonis.
As to Balls:: I like Duramith.
As to chalk:: I like Masters.
As to pockets:: 142º entrance angle for corner pockets and 103º entrance angles for side pockets.
The reason people don't agree on stuff is that it is expensive to change if what you agree to is not what you have on hand.
And yet so many fans believe automakers are involved in racing to improve road car technology, nothing could be further from the truth. Car makers are there to put their brand on the worlds stage, otherwise known as advertising.