SVB to Kick Off High Run Attempts

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
“Any meatball can throw a run of 100 at me”

I guess I’m not even at “meatball” level yet. I could throw a solid 32 at him on my best 14.1 day 😂

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
5.5”, is that accurate? I’ve heard the pockets were bigger, but I’ve never read that they were that big. Also haven’t heard that the pockets used to be 4 inches. Not disagreeing since I wasn’t there, just a bit surprised.

I agree those pocket numbers are suspicious. Perhaps he was exaggerating. I haven't seen anything to suggest that the old championship tables had 4 inch pockets. Based on how 14.1 has always been played with the need to cheat the pockets for position, that seems unlikely.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
5.5”, is that accurate? I’ve heard the pockets were bigger, but I’ve never read that they were that big. Also haven’t heard that the pockets used to be 4 inches. Not disagreeing since I wasn’t there, just a bit surprised.
I think there has never been a strict standard on pocket size for pool tables. There seems to be no record of pocket sizes for any tournament I've seen prior to very recent tournaments.

The current WPA pocket specs are 4.5 to 4.625 inches. The BCA has a separate spec for "recreational" tables that is 4 1/8 to 5 1/8.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one goes out of their way to go to the DCC just yo play on the 10'

They play on it because it has an event for money on it.
That is a correct statement and it applies to all professional events in every sport. Regarding that year's 14.1 event the list of participants included some of the top players in pool and I suspect the reason an English snooker player was the only man to run 100 is because he is used to playing on a big table. I also suspect if you were to work a miracle and somehow revive players from the past like Greenleaf, Ponzi, Mosconi and Crane who grew up on a 10' table and put them up against today's players in a tournament on a 10' table the final 4 would be Greenleaf, Ponzi, Mosconi and Crane simply because they are familiar with that game on the big table.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I think there has never been a strict standard on pocket size for pool tables. There seems to be no record of pocket sizes for any tournament I've seen prior to very recent tournaments.

The current WPA pocket specs are 4.5 to 4.625 inches. The BCA has a separate spec for "recreational" tables that is 4 1/8 to 5 1/8.
I agree those pocket numbers are suspicious. Perhaps he was exaggerating. I haven't seen anything to suggest that the old championship tables had 4 inch pockets. Based on how 14.1 has always been played with the need to cheat the pockets for position, that seems unlikely.
Thanks, both. From the small amount of footage from that time, the pockets certainly didn't look that small. Similarly, during Crane's 150 and out in 1966, the pockets looked generous but not cavernous.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree and the day's cut of the slate is certainly relevant too.

In my experience, pocket shelves were extremely shallow on tables of the time.

I played on a 10' old table with pockets that were likely 4.25" and they were pretty oceanic (if far!).

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pretty substantial looking side pockets in the Crane 150 run:

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 11.54.28 AM.png

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 309's by Willie and Irving were on 10 foot tables, the standard of the day.
It would be interesting to see how many balls todays best 14.1 players could run on a 5x10.
Is there any modern high runs on a 5x10?
Didn't Danny Harriman run something like 160 balls on a ten footer lately?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
According to Charlie Ursitti's records ...

From this it looks like the change was made exactly on the decade change.
Yes. From Mosconi's autobiography:

"... in August of 1949, the BCA shortened the standard table from five by ten feet to four and a half by nine. They also widened the corner pockets from five to five and a half inches and the side pockets from four and a half to five. One reason for the change in table size was that manufacturers were producing five-by-tens only for championship play. The proprietors of pool halls had been ordering the smaller tables for years because they could fit more of them into their rooms. But essentially the changes were intended to speed play and generate excitement with the likelihood of longer runs."​

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I see.

So just curious: what is your educational and working background when it comes to “real public relations”?

How has that background worked for you when it comes to your own business?

Lou Figueroa

Interesting that you continue to nitpick others when you are the primary annoyance of this event. Bobby picked the wrong horse for sure.