SVB to Kick Off High Run Attempts

CanadianGuy

Nothing I have ever said to you has been unprovoked. In fact I didn't even know your name until you choose to disparage me. I am not going to publish your comment here but the fact is you directed it 100% at my wife. I will publish your comment on my own pages where it will be for the public to read and judge for themselves what you meant.
However, I am willing to accept your half-assed apology on behalf of my wife, who was extremely disgusted at your comment.

Now apologize to John Schmidt's wife for your conduct towards her.

Last thing I am posting before I put you on ignore is what I think is the best point made about you and this "project".

As I have said many times I think that it is in fact a good thing that you are bankrolling these high run attempts whatever your motivation is. I have said everything I want to say about it and you and I hope never to hear your name again although that won't be possible. I think you need to apologize to John Schmidt but that will be between you and him.

In the meantime consider these words by John.
View attachment 615442
reading the way this guy goes about his business is disappointing, so much natural talent......for a guy who can seemingly wake from bed and clear months/years worth of cobwebs to snap off a US open and run endless balls in straight pool, seems like on a bad day he can destroy world beaters

realkingcobra

Silver Member
He ran the balls but not in match play. That counts for shit. Except he did it twice!
It means you probably know a thing or two about pool tables.

Lou Figueroa
Don't you think knowing how to play this game has a lot to do with it when it comes to making a pool table play great? It's kind of like having a friend tune your guitar VS having Jimi Hendrix tune it!! There is a difference, like it or not!

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Don't you think knowing how to play this game has a lot to do with it when it comes to making a pool table play great? It's kind of like having a friend tune your guitar VS having Jimi Hendrix tune it!! There is a difference, like it or not!
Lol

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It amazes me the vast expanse of knowledge that is evident between the people like the King Cobra knowing because it has been their life and enjoyment and sometimes means of support and the posters here that seem to be in shock or whatever it is I can't explain it. If you don't know you think it never happened.
Well fellows dats the fax jax.
And I hope whoever wins deserves every cent.
Did I just say that?
Nick :)

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
10' was definitely the standard before the smaller 9' tables became popular.
AZB flash back:

"These little 9 foot tables....what a joke"
..."this isn't real pool"
"I'd ride a horse uphill in the snow to get to a real pool hall with 10 foot tables"
"No kiddie pool for me...where are the real tables?"
"9 foot tables are a joke, no real player would spend a penny a rack to play on those things!"

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
10' was definitely the standard before the smaller 9' tables became popular.
According to Charlie Ursitti's records of all the pool championships (which are somewhere online), 10-foot tables were used in championships through the 1940s and then in the 1950s the change was made to 9-foot. His records do not state the table size for the events up to 1950 but 10-foot was the standard size at that time. For 1950 he has:

CropperCapture[778].png

From this it looks like the change was made exactly on the decade change.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to Charlie Ursitti's records of all the pool championships (which are somewhere online), 10-foot tables were used in championships through the 1940s and then in the 1950s the change was made to 9-foot. His records do not state the table size for the events up to 1950 but 10-foot was the standard size at that time. For 1950 he has:

View attachment 615685

Mosconi ran 141 on a 10 foot table!

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

View attachment 615685

(y)

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
AZB flash back:

"These little 9 foot tables....what a joke"
..."this isn't real pool"
"I'd ride a horse uphill in the snow to get to a real pool hall with 10 foot tables"
"No kiddie pool for me...where are the real tables?"
"9 foot tables are a joke, no real player would spend a penny a rack to play on those things!"

I often post this link on AZB because it's still so relevant to our daily discussions. Here's what Irving Crane had to say in 1969:

To his credit, or at least in his defense, Crane grew up in an era of large tables, small pockets, ivory cue balls and Belgian clay object balls, conditions that made a run of 100, some say, comparable to a run of 300 with today's equipment. Today the tables are smaller (4½' by 9'), the pockets are larger (5½" vs. 4") and the object balls and the cue ball are made of plastic. "The ball skids like an ashtray when you hit it," Crane says. "It's not supposed to skid, it's supposed to roll. These plastic balls are pretty. They don't ever chip, they don't ever break, they hold their color forever—and they're the worst balls ever made. The old mud balls were far superior. With the smaller table and the bigger pockets, any meatball can throw a run of 100 at me. I don't worry about guys like Joe Balsis or Steve Mizerak or Luther Lassiter. I know I'll win and lose my share against them. But one of these guys who can't play at all will suddenly come to the table and run a hundred—against me.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I often post this link on AZB because it's still so relevant to our daily discussions. Here's what Irving Crane had to say in 1969:

5.5”, is that accurate? I’ve heard the pockets were bigger, but I’ve never read that they were that big. Also haven’t heard that the pockets used to be 4 inches. Not disagreeing since I wasn’t there, just a bit surprised.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One real advantage of 14.1 now vs then is cloth/balls...you do not have to slam into a rack to open it up.