Omicron Variant: Will it affect Mosconi Cup (travel and attendance) December 7-10, 2021?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be clear, this is not a political thread, and I do not want it to turn into a political thread. This is about the Mosconi Cup happening due to the recent variant spreading globally. I don't give a hoot if you've been vaccinated or not. Again, this is about the Mosconi Cup, a pool-related issue, not about vaccines.

Countries around the world are starting to take precautions due to this new COVID variant known as Omicron. With the Mosconi Cup in London on the horizon, 9 days from the time of this writing, it is a wonder as to whether travel restrictions will be put in place before the Mosconi Cup begins and thereby causing postponement or a cancellation.

Eleven hours ago from the time of this writing, England's Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, said arrivals from all countries would have to self-isolate until receiving a negative result from a PCR test, that face masks must be worn in retail settings and it was time to step up booster jabs.

Of course, this is a developing story with the Omicron variant, and things can change quickly. Fingers crossed that the Mosconi Cup this year will have a full audience, unlike last year, allowing Matchroom to showcase the finest pool event of the year.

Read more here: AP article about COVID variant spreads

Photo below is of Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson gesturing as he speaks during a press conference in London, Saturday Nov. 27, 2021, after cases of the new COVID-19 variant were confirmed in the UK. (Hollie Adams/Pool via AP)

600.jpeg

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As politicized as COVID has become, I think it's an impossible task to separate the two.
I guess the thought I am expressing in this thread is the possibility that the long-awaited Mosconi Cup may not happen due to the recent spread of the variant.

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There seems to be new covid restrictions in the UK from Tuesday, although mostly just reintroducing mask wearing in shops and on buses/trains. Shouldn't affect Mosconi unless the organisers get spooked and decide to go beyond the government guidance. Biggest risk is more likely to be players getting the virus, and possible delays in isolation waiting for a test, but I'd imagine they are getting tested regularly already, so that shouldn't kick up any surprises.

Last edited:

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
I guess the thought I am expressing in this thread is the possibility that the long-awaited Mosconi Cup may not happen due to the recent spread of the variant.
Except 90% of the content was COVID related including Boris and AP articles about the variant. All of that will determine what happens to the event so it's a leap to think it's not front and center unfortunatly. It will be the basis of if and how the event happens. Shame if it doesn't but could well be a political decision.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sure hope not.
Many upcoming tournaments are scheduled that had been previously cancelled
due to Covid outbreaks.
The DCC is on.
I have never been and have been thinking of attending the DCC.
We never know the exact direction that these outbreaks go.
All we know is that it has been continually moving around the world and mutating as it travels..

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Not for everyone.
Just ask yourself before posting:
Does my post belong in NPR?
I don't go to NPR anymore, it's a chithole thus I don't consider that relevant. Discussing what would prevent or significantly alter the Mosconi Cup is based on the most polarizing topic on earth meaning discussion around the topic really can't exist without a political slant. Hence the...COVID has become extremely politicized comment.

Here, let me try something compelling though: "Gee, guess we'll have to wait and see what happens".

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't go to NPR anymore, it's a chithole thus I don't consider that relevant. Discussing what would prevent or significantly alter the Mosconi Cup is based on the most polarizing topic on earth meaning discussion around the topic really can't exist without a political slant. Hence the...COVID has become extremely politicized comment.

Here, let me try something compelling though: "Gee, guess we'll have to wait and see what happens".
Hahaha,
You're a genius,
You figured that out?

• Haha
Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those who believe this is a political thread, please ignore this thread and move on. The sole purpose of this thread, 100 percent, is about whether the Mosconi Cup will be affected by the current state of affairs. For Americans traveling to UK, this could be deterrent. For those who have purchased their Mosconi Cup tickets, airlines reservations, and lodging, this could be a problem. For the Mosconi Cup players and captains and vice captains, this situation could possibly affect their attendance. This is the sole purpose of the thread.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jennie, I love the first paragraph of your post.. Before I get off track. Lol

I believe there is a great chance for disruption at the Mosconi Cup event. Will it be cancelled altogether? I do not think so. I still do see it happening and still see spectators allowed in. I also think they will be required to be vaccinated and be required to wear masks at all times.. I see the same restrictions for all participants and employees.. JMO!!!

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jennie, I love the first paragraph of your post.. Before I get off track. Lol

I believe there is a great chance for disruption at the Mosconi Cup event. Will it be cancelled altogether? I do not think so. I still do see it happening and still see spectators allowed in. I also think they will be required to be vaccinated and be required to wear masks at all times.. I see the same restrictions for all participants and employees.. JMO!!!

Last year, they had the players wearing masks and no audience. Maybe this year, it will be limited audience. But as the travel restrictions in Europe and elsewhere continue to change, it might prevent the players and spectators from getting to London.

Last year, the Mosconi Cup without the audience involvement just wasn't the same. I applaud Matchroom for keeping it going, though, but still, it was a not as exciting.

I hope Kaci does not have a problem with his visa. 🙃

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The variant has already been detected in the UK... according to this morning's news.
I'm sure there are those that want to blow it out of proportion (media) , but I'm not going to panic....

As of writing this, I haven't heard of any deaths due to this variant. It seems as the virus evolves, it is still very contagious, but is getting weaker... just like the experts said it would.

The South African doctor who first identified the omicron variant that is spreading in the country and abroad has described the symptoms as she observed them in her patients, stating that the strain is so far producing “very, very mild” effects.

Dr Angelique Coetzee told BBC News that she had first noticed the symptoms in a young, male patient around the age of 30 whom she normally knew to be very healthy. He was “extremely tired” as well as having “body aches and pains with a bit of a headache,” a “scratchy” rather than sore throat, and no cough or loss of taste or smell, she said.

Last edited:

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member
Last year, they had the players wearing masks and no audience. Maybe this year, it will be limited audience. But as the travel restrictions in Europe and elsewhere continue to change, it might prevent the players and spectators from getting to London.

Last year, the Mosconi Cup without the audience involvement just wasn't the same. I applaud Matchroom for keeping it going, though, but still, it was a not as exciting.

This is the perfect post. It doesn't mention why there are restrictions, everyone knows why. I do know what your intentions were but the title elevated it past the main page. Hopefully with a little luck and some quick planning the show(games)will go on.

• Love

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Hahaha,
You're a genius,
You figured that out?
Seriously? You wanna start a fight in a thread you were "above" starting a fight in?

You are agreeing with me though...it's a non-starter thread.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

I wonder if Matchroom handles (pays for) the flights and travel arrangements? Or is that on the players?

The variant has already been detected in the UK... according to this morning's news.
I'm sure there are those that want to blow it out of proportion (media) , but I'm not going to panic....

As of writing this, I haven't heard of any deaths due to this variant. It seems as the virus evolves, it is still very contagious, but is getting weaker... just like the experts said it would.

The South African doctor who first identified the omicron variant that is spreading in the country and abroad has described the symptoms as she observed them in her patients, stating that the strain is so far producing “very, very mild” effects.

Dr Angelique Coetzee told BBC News that she had first noticed the symptoms in a young, male patient around the age of 30 whom she normally knew to be very healthy. He was “extremely tired” as well as having “body aches and pains with a bit of a headache,” a “scratchy” rather than sore throat, and no cough or loss of taste or smell, she said.

I think the statement from the South African doc has been widely misinterpreted unfortunately: