Omicron Variant: Will it affect Mosconi Cup (travel and attendance) December 7-10, 2021?

gerryf

Unknowns:
a. Is omicron more infectious than delta?
b. Does omicron cause more serious health effects?
c. Do antibodies and immune cells from covid infections or vaccines still provide a good immune response.?

The expert guesses I've seen so far are:
a. maybe it's more infectious than delta. Have to wait and see.
b. expected to have similar health effects to delta.
c. antibody response won't be known for two to three weeks at least.

Looks to me like the Mosconi Cup has a high probability of happening. I wouldn't be surprised if there were mask requirements though.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if Matchroom handles (pays for) the flights and travel arrangements? Or is that on the players?
That is a good question, and I am not sure. I know last year that Kaci had problems with his visa being approved and missed out on a world pool event by Matchroom. I think in that case, Kaci was paying his own way.

I noticed in past Mosconi Cup events in London, the Americans shared a suite or apartment. Maybe Matchroom gets that for them, but I don't know. I can ask somebody and get back to this thread later if find out the answer.

L.S. Dennis

The sad thing is that this thing may with us forever in some form or another. This is life’s new normal unfortunately,

Reactions: JAM

middleofnowhere

Registered
To be clear, this is not a political thread, and I do not want it to turn into a political thread. This is about the Mosconi Cup happening due to the recent variant spreading globally. I don't give a hoot if you've been vaccinated or not. Again, this is about the Mosconi Cup, a pool-related issue, not about vaccines.

Countries around the world are starting to take precautions due to this new COVID variant known as Omicron. With the Mosconi Cup in London on the horizon, 9 days from the time of this writing, it is a wonder as to whether travel restrictions will be put in place before the Mosconi Cup begins and thereby causing postponement or a cancellation.

Eleven hours ago from the time of this writing, England's Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, said arrivals from all countries would have to self-isolate until receiving a negative result from a PCR test, that face masks must be worn in retail settings and it was time to step up booster jabs.

Of course, this is a developing story with the Omicron variant, and things can change quickly. Fingers crossed that the Mosconi Cup this year will have a full audience, unlike last year, allowing Matchroom to showcase the finest pool event of the year.

Read more here: AP article about COVID variant spreads

Photo below is of Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson gesturing as he speaks during a press conference in London, Saturday Nov. 27, 2021, after cases of the new COVID-19 variant were confirmed in the UK. (Hollie Adams/Pool via AP)

View attachment 617982
Your entire post could have been only your title. To answer your question, how could it not.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your entire post could have been only your title. To answer your question, how could it not.
I agree. I was trying to avoid politics raising its ugly head in the thread, but I failed, I guess. I wanted this to be about Mosconi Cup and the possibility that travel restrictions and the like may affect it. It may be still too early to tell.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I agree. I was trying to avoid politics raising its ugly head in the thread, but I failed, I guess. I wanted this to be about Mosconi Cup and the possibility that travel restrictions and the like may affect it. It may be still too early to tell.
Let's be clear though, it certainly should be effected. We keep getting to a point of "hey, the ICUs aren't overloaded so we're back to normal" and then acting normal. Enter, new variants and more death.

We have some amazing technology to do excellent remote streaming today and should really take advantage of it, at least until this stops being a pandemic because everyone is vaccinated and following best practices. It is sad to see, but I'm sure there will be public event shutdowns in the UK by then

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You can’t discuss restrictions without bringing politics into play.

Restrictions are put into place by “policies”.

”Policies” of this magnitude are created and put into motion by “politics”.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
It's like trying to withhold the cue tip from the cue ball and still call it pool.

Jeff Livingston

middleofnowhere

Registered
The thing is though, is the Mosconi cup that big an income generator that people would do or risk anything to make it happen? It's not exactly the super bowl.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those who may want to discuss the political problems with vaccines, maybe a thread in the NPR section would be a good place to engage in a back-and-forth colloquy. I'm sure there's lots to discuss.

I can discuss the Mosconi Cup probability here in this thread and how the travel restrictions could affect the event. I hope others can too. :)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thing is though, is the Mosconi cup that big an income generator that people would do or risk anything to make it happen? It's not exactly the super bowl.
I see your point. For pool, it is the Super Bowl for the players in it. It's a guaranteed payday and bragging rights for having been a part of the Mosconi Cup. Most players look at it as a high honor too.

middleofnowhere

Registered
I see your point. For pool, it is the Super Bowl for the players in it. It's a guaranteed payday and bragging rights for having been a part of the Mosconi Cup. Most players look at it as a high honor too.
Oh no I agree with you, if I was playing on the Mosconi cup I would jump through whatever hoops they required testing quarantine or whatever to play.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My major concern would've been if any of the U. S. team members were still unvaccinated for whatever reason, but by this time I can't imagine that any of them would be willing to take such a risk to their participation. Unless I'm mistaken, none of them have Kyrie Irving's guaranteed money as a backup plan for such a contingency.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
This is a rare opportunity for pool to show the world something good, something real, compared to all the other sports seemingly intent on ruining their games.

You young guys go for it while you still can. Do-overs are rare things.

Jeff Livingston

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since Matchroom is also involved in Darts and they start their WC at the 15th of December, I think they will have a plan B for their big events in case there will be some Covid related restrictions.
So worst case scenario is, that they do their events without spectators, but the events will happen for sure.

I think they will try to get all the players to the UK as soon as possible, just in case they have to renominate someone due to a positive test.
Afterwards they put them into a bubble to start MC as scheduled.
Of course there is always the possibility of traveling restrictions for certain countries, but as bad this will be for the fans, it probably won't affect the athletes.

At the moment they run a Darts event in the UK with full fan attendance and I don't think this will change in near future.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have been watching the entry requirements to the UK since I have reservations and tickets for the Mosconi Cup. So far as I can tell, the only change for me is that I will need to wear a mask indoors in most situations. Since I am vaccinated, only two tests are required, one within two days of arrival (for the UK authorities) and one just before I leave (for the US).

Of course, things could change. My reservations can be cancelled before noon on Tuesday without penalty so I don't have to make a decision yet.

I'm watching a tournament right now that's in the UK (York). The audience looks packed and almost no one is wearing a mask.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been watching the entry requirements to the UK since I have reservations and tickets for the Mosconi Cup. So far as I can tell, the only change for me is that I will need to wear a mask indoors in most situations. Since I am vaccinated, only two tests are required, one within two days of arrival (for the UK authorities) and one just before I leave (for the US).

Of course, things could change. My reservations can be cancelled before noon on Tuesday without penalty so I don't have to make a decision yet.

I'm watching a tournament right now that's in the UK (York). The audience looks packed and almost no one is wearing a mask.
Wow! I hope everything will be cool and you can come and go, to include enjoying the Mosconi Cup.

I did read this just now: "All travelers coming to the UK must also fill in a passenger locator form, even if they are just passing through, which they need to fill in 48 hours or less before their journey."