Omicron Variant: Will it affect Mosconi Cup (travel and attendance) December 7-10, 2021?

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Let's be clear though, it certainly should be effected. We keep getting to a point of "hey, the ICUs aren't overloaded so we're back to normal" and then acting normal. Enter, new variants and more death.

We have some amazing technology to do excellent remote streaming today and should really take advantage of it, at least until this stops being a pandemic because everyone is vaccinated and following best practices. It is sad to see, but I'm sure there will be public event shutdowns in the UK by then
Ok. This load of propaganda is what makes threads political.

Here's hoping the MC goes off as planned and is not affected by the hysteria created by the political circus.

Reactions: JAM

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In today's climate of insanity 3wks is an eternity. Would not surprise me to see it cancelled.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course it will…….when a vaccine is developed, it is intended for a specific type and version virus.
There are always going to be some generic help provided but the vaccine is virus specific. In other
words, your body’s post vaccine immune response is specific for the virus, or bacteria, posing the threat.

There isn’t any medical breakthrough on the horizon for developing an all inclusive virus vaccine that is able
to cover all of the past & current viruses and more importantly, any future variations or entirely new viruses.
So these new variations are typically borne among populations that have low vaccination rates & inadequate
medical resources to address the spread of COVID. And once a new strain gets created, it is only a question
of time before it spreads from the source country to an adjacent nation and so on and so forth, i.e., Contagion.

Travel bans, lock downs, vaccine passports, masks & social distancing and anything else that can be attempted
will be used collectively by countries around the globe. I can’t say how fast it will accelerate just as much as I can’t
forecast how long it will presist or when it will subside. But over 5.2 million people have already died and every time
there is a resurgence, tighter measures will be adopted or re-instituted, as the case may be. So international travel
and the large assembly of people is going to suffer. Based on the on-going COVID status in Europe, restrictions are
going to be unavoidable and my intuition tells me pretty severe too. Current medical thinking is vaccinating by nation
isn’t going to contain or stop the spread of new variations of COVID. That requires a comprehensive global vaccination
program because the virus otherwise finds the weak point in world population and regenerates changes there within.

5.2 million dead is nothing to take lightly……over 771,000 deaths in the USA. And we have more vaccines than we need but aren’t taking full advantage of it. More fellow Americans died in 2021 than in 2020 due to COVID. And the death totals overwhelmingly show unvaccinated people make up the majority of deaths. The very same is true in other countries where booster shots are not widely available unlike here in the USA where it’s free & widely available. The Mosconi Cup is going to have to evaluate the circumstances right up until the event is supposed to commence.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course it will…….when a vaccine is developed, it is intended for a specific type and version virus.
There are always going to be some generic help provided but the vaccine is virus specific. In other
words, your body’s post vaccine immune response is specific for the virus, or bacteria, posing the threat.

There isn’t any medical breakthrough on the horizon for developing an all inclusive virus vaccine that is able
to cover all of the past & current viruses and more importantly, any future variations or entirely new viruses.
So these new variations are typically borne among populations that have low vaccination rates & inadequate
medical resources to address the spread of COVID. And once a new strain gets created, it is only a question
of time before it spreads from the source country to an adjacent nation and so on and so forth, i.e., Contagion.

Travel bans, lock downs, vaccine passports, masks & social distancing and anything else that can be attempted
will be used collectively by countries around the globe. I can’t say how fast it will accelerate just as much as I can’t
forecast how long it will presist or when it will subside. But over 5.2 million people have already died and every time
there is a resurgence, tighter measures will be adopted or re-instituted, as the case may be. So international travel
and the large assembly of people is going to suffer. Based on the on-going COVID status in Europe, restrictions are
going to be unavoidable and my intuition tells me pretty severe too. Current medical thinking is vaccinating by nation
isn’t going to contain or stop the spread of new variations of COVID. That requires a comprehensive global vaccination
program because the virus otherwise finds the weak point in world population and regenerates changes there within.

5.2 million dead is nothing to take lightly……over 771,000 deaths in the USA. And we have more vaccines than we need but aren’t taking full advantage of it. More fellow Americans died in 2021 than in 2020 due to COVID. And the death totals overwhelmingly show unvaccinated people make up the majority of deaths. The very same is true in other countries where booster shots are not widely available unlike here in the USA where it’s free & widely available. The Mosconi Cup is going to have to evaluate the circumstances right up until the event is supposed to commence.
Whew. I got thru most of this. Sorta. So, is the MC going to be affected or not?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm leaving for London five days from now, scheduled to stay there for eleven days. I'm triple vaccinated, and I've already got an appointment for a COVID test in London the day after I arrive.

I'll abide by all the local rules, and if the Mosconi Cup is cancelled, I'm sure I can still enjoy my time in London, where I know many people. I suspect it's too late for Matchroom to move the Mosconi Cup to Milton Keynes, as they did a year ago, and I highly doubt they will have it without fans. I'm sure Matchroom will act responsibly, and I'll live with any decision they make. Before returning to the US, I will have another COVID test in London.

Whatever happens happens. These days, one must remain flexible and recognize that things can change in an instant. Uncertainty has become a way of life.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You didn’t have to read past the first few lines……why did you bother ?
Hmn….maybe because you had your own reasons…..doesn’t matter.

middleofnowhere

Registered
I'm leaving for London five days from now, scheduled to stay there for eleven days. I'm triple vaccinated, and I've already got an appointment for a COVID test in London the day after I arrive.

I'll abide by all the local rules, and if the Mosconi Cup is cancelled, I'm sure I can still enjoy my time in London, where I know many people. I suspect it's too late for Matchroom to move the Mosconi Cup to Milton Keynes, as they did a year ago, and I highly doubt they will have it without fans. I'm sure Matchroom will act responsibly, and I'll live with any decision they make. Before returning to the US, I will have another COVID test in London.

Whatever happens happens. These days, one must remain flexible and recognize that things can change in an instant. Uncertainty has become a way of life.
My biggest fear from your position would be a possible positive test before returning. You could be stuck there for weeks before being cleared to come home. That is not a real remote hypothetical. I would take all precautions while there. You might not get very sick but could have a real inconvenience and who needs that.

Reactions: sjm

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I rarely get thru more than a sentence or two of your novellas, errrrrrrrrrrrr, posts.
Well, you keep returning for your own reasons, whatever it might be.
I mean if you truly felt that way, you’d just use this website’s ignore.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
My personal, non-fact-based opinion is that the Mosconi Cup will absolutely go ahead with no delays.
There may be a few accommodations, but no delays.

In a world hub city such as London, there are likely hundreds of assemblies the size of this affair scheduled just by Brits alone, let alone world travelers coming for business related and politically oriented events. I do not believe there will be flight cancellations or the Cup cancellations. Again, modifications and accommodations…..Quite Probably..

To be clear, nothing I said is fact based, just my opinion at this time……could change daily.
I’m ready for the event to begin!!!

Will Prout

ImaPoolnut

I'm just a PoolNut
Silver Member
To be clear, this is not a political thread, and I do not want it to turn into a political thread. This is about the Mosconi Cup happening due to the recent variant spreading globally. I don't give a hoot if you've been vaccinated or not. Again, this is about the Mosconi Cup, a pool-related issue, not about vaccines.

Countries around the world are starting to take precautions due to this new COVID variant known as Omicron. With the Mosconi Cup in London on the horizon, 9 days from the time of this writing, it is a wonder as to whether travel restrictions will be put in place before the Mosconi Cup begins and thereby causing postponement or a cancellation.

Eleven hours ago from the time of this writing, England's Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, said arrivals from all countries would have to self-isolate until receiving a negative result from a PCR test, that face masks must be worn in retail settings and it was time to step up booster jabs.

Of course, this is a developing story with the Omicron variant, and things can change quickly. Fingers crossed that the Mosconi Cup this year will have a full audience, unlike last year, allowing Matchroom to showcase the finest pool event of the year.

Read more here: AP article about COVID variant spreads

Photo below is of Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson gesturing as he speaks during a press conference in London, Saturday Nov. 27, 2021, after cases of the new COVID-19 variant were confirmed in the UK. (Hollie Adams/Pool via AP)

View attachment 617982
I guess it did affect the. Mosconi Cup for all involved and all hoping we'd pull off another victory.

That was after I've watched Earl Strickland prepare for months, he honestly looked in the best shape both in his game and physically than I've seen him in years and he gets knocked out due to Covid exposure on his flight across the pond.

Very, very disappointing, because Earl would have brought all the passion and decades of experience to team USA.

middleofnowhere

Registered
I guess it did affect the. Mosconi Cup for all involved and all hoping we'd pull off another victory.

That was after I've watched Earl Strickland prepare for months, he honestly looked in the best shape both in his game and physically than I've seen him in years and he gets knocked out due to Covid exposure on his flight across the pond.

Very, very disappointing, because Earl would have brought all the passion and decades of experience to team USA.
Him playing was my only interest.

ImaPoolnut

I'm just a PoolNut
Silver Member
I wonder if Matchroom handles (pays for) the flights and travel arrangements? Or is that on the players?
I assisted Dennis Hatch with the contract, legal stuff and travel itinerary in his Mosconi Cup debut. Matchroom.com flips the bill for travel, accommodations, shirts, food and a team party for each player, captain and a guest. I'm not sure if the new main sponsor Cazoo is doing the same.