Question about Jose Parica

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regarding Jose's pool skills, I think he pocketed the object ball as good or better than anyone I ever saw. His nine/ten ball game was superior to Efren because of Jose having a better break. Jose would go weeks sometimes months and not play at all. He could practice for a couple of days and his game would be back 100%. In long sessions I would take him over anyone of his era. I just saw him a couple of weeks ago and he still looks like a little kid with that infectious smile of his and ready to play. HA

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Regarding Jose's pool skills, I think he pocketed the object ball as good or better than anyone I ever saw. His nine/ten ball game was superior to Efren because of Jose having a better break. Jose would go weeks sometimes months and not play at all. He could practice for a couple of days and his game would be back 100%. In long sessions I would take him over anyone of his era. I just saw him a couple of weeks ago and he still looks like a little kid with that infectious smile of his and ready to play. HA
Jose felt his strongest shots were thin cuts…IMO he hit them better than St Louis.
Some sites say Jose was born in La Puenta, California….if the timing was better, he would’ve been a welcome member to the US Mosconi Cup team.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought Efren best Keith at Red's the first time he came over?
Story I read was Keith said to Buddy, " I can't shake this guy ".
Efren beat everyone but Buddy.
Keith is standing by me now, and I am going to transcribe his words verbatim:

KEITH: First of all, Efren never gave me 9 to 7 and the breaks. If you were doing your homework, he did give me 9 to 7 in Olathe and beat me. I was hunting him down after that, waiting until I got money, and then over in Virginia when the movie people were there, I beat him 8 in a row for a thousand or more a game, and he never got past 3 balls in any game. Plus, I was betting on the side. This was in 1985, and my prime was in the '70s.

As far as Red's goes, I'm the one that got to Red, in Red's ear, and I bet $3,000 on Buddy, and Red staked the rest. I know all about the game. I never said "I can't shake this guy."

Before Efren even went to Red's, nobody knew him but me. We played races to 11 in Anaheim at the Sports Arena, and I lose 11-10, 11-10, and 11-10, playing even at 9-ball. I knew he was Cesar Morales before anybody else did at Red's because I knew him from California when he was sneaking around. Believe it or not, at that time, Efren didn't even know how to play one pocket.

Then when Efren came to Red's as "Cesar Morales," I already knew he was Efren Reyes. And Buddy drilled him. Buddy was ahead 13-7 going to15 for the money, and I think the score ended up being 15-11. No flip for the second set because there was none.

Needless to say, at that time, alls the the Filipinos would ever lose, if they did lose, would be one set. Then they'd pull up, and that's the same thing that happened with Buddy. Jose Parica was way better action back then than Efren. Jose would get up and play, and if he lost, you could beat him out of two or three sets. Win or lose, Jose was way better action.

Jose and Keith.JPG

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

KEITH: First of all, Efren never gave me 9 to 7 and the breaks. If you were doing your homework, he did give me 9 to 7 in Olathe and beat me. I was hunting him down after that, waiting until I got money, and then over in Virginia when the movie people were there, I beat him 8 in a row for a thousand or more a game, and he never got past 3 balls in any game. Plus, I was betting on the side. This was in 1985, and my prime was in the '70s.

As far as Red's goes, I'm the one that got to Red, in Red's ear, and I bet $3,000 on Buddy, and Red staked the rest. I know all about the game. I never said "I can't shake this guy."

Before Efren even went to Red's, nobody knew him but me. We played races to 11 in Anaheim at the Sports Arena, and I lose 11-10, 11-10, and 11-10, playing even at 9-ball. I knew he was Cesar Morales before anybody else did at Red's because I knew him from California when he was sneaking around. Believe it or not, at that time, Efren didn't even know how to play one pocket.

Then when Efren came to Red's as "Cesar Morales," I already knew he was Efren Reyes. And Buddy drilled him. Buddy was ahead 13-7 going to15 for the money, and I think the score ended up being 15-11. No flip for the second set because there was none.

Needless to say, at that time, alls the the Filipinos would ever lose, if they did lose, would be one set. Then they'd pull up, and that's the same thing that happened with Buddy. Jose Parica was way better action back then than Efren. Jose would get up and play, and if he lost, you could beat him out of two or three sets. Win or lose, Jose was way better action.

View attachment 748433
9-7 and the breaks at hard times, around 1995.
$250 a set. Alex L. was backing Efren.
I was there. Alex told me it was a lot of weight.
They split two sets.
Unless my memory is failing me.
Then, I'll call Alex for verification.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9-7 and the breaks at hard times, around 1995.
$250 a set. Alex L. was backing Efren.
I was there. Alex told me it was a lot of weight.
They split two sets.
Unless my memory is failing me.
Well, Keith was there too, and he standing right here again. Here is Keith's reply to your post, which I will transcribe verbatim:

KEITH: I don't remember Efren giving me 9 to 7 and all the breaks at Hard Times in 1995 for $250 a set. If I was getting 9 to 7 and all the breaks, I surely would have wanted to bet more than $250, especially on that front table at Hard Times. I do remember getting 9 to 7, but I don't remember 9 t0 7 and all the breaks.

JENNIE: Keith, what does "splitting two sets" mean?

KEITH: Well, split two sets means he won one and I won one. I was messed up at that time in '95. Real bad. Rudy Luat gave me the 6 ball and I never shot. He drowned me too. It would have been an entirely different game in the '70s. People waited for me to be f*cked up for 2 or 3 days so they could rob me. But the reality of the situation is I did it to myself. When I was in my prime, those games wouldn't have existed. Earthquake out.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Well, Keith was there too, and he standing right here again. Here is Keith's reply to your post, which I will transcribe verbatim:

KEITH: I don't remember Efren giving me 9 to 7 and all the breaks at Hard Times in 1995 for $250 a set. If I was getting 9 to 7 and all the breaks, I surely would have wanted to bet more than $250, especially on that front table at Hard Times. I do remember getting 9 to 7, but I don't remember 9 t0 7 and all the breaks.

KEITH: Well, split two sets means he won one and I won one. I was messed up at that time in '95. Real bad. Rudy Luat gave me the 6 ball and I never shot. He drowned me too. It would have been an entirely different game in the '70s. People waited for me to be f*cked up for 2 or 3 days so they could rob me. But the reality of the situation is I did it to myself. When I was in my prime, those games wouldn't have existed. Earthquake out.
Just verified with Alex.
9-7. Then, 9-7 with the break later on.
Efren was spotting Allen and Cooney 9-7 during that time.
They didn't play on the front table. It was in the middle.
Saw Rich and Keith play on the front table.
I was there when Keith was air barreled by another great player too.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member

Your candor about your struggle is refreshing and has the potential of helping someone get right

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay how about? Do Dong?
Pinoy for sure but, not sure if the above name is correct.
Wore T shirts never dressed sharp but a monster, kind of looked like a raggedy bar table player.
He came to Denver in 80's.
Medina didn't like it on the 4 1/4'' GC table.
He had Visa trouble too ....

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
efrin, jose, keith, and many other super top players all could beat any other on a good day in a set or two.
dont ever take that away from any of them.

the only pertinent thing is about the pino players is they didnt lose much most times and when they won the american players tapped out many times. that is half the secret of making money at pool.

• Love
Reactions: JAM

gambler67

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In addition to what people have reported, when a young Efren was “discovered” by author John Grissom in the 70’s, Efren was touted as the 2nd best player in the Philippines. Parica was #1. Of course, Efren was a teenager and just Bata (the kid). Parica was Amang (the man.).
tough to compare different eras a bit, experience rules in pool

gambler67

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Parica was the better 9-ball player, even when Efren was selected to square off against Earl. Jose was the most feared money player in the 1990s and told me at the time that nobody would play him a ten ahead race at 9ball.

Efren, of course, was the better all-around player, but he was never the favorite over Jose at 9ball in the years in which they were both in their prime.
i think efren made a comeback against Earl in that "color of money" match that Parica wouldn't have pulled off

gambler67

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's true. Parica would have probably won with ease and no comeback would have been needed. Jay Helfert has posted, on numerous occasions, that Earl knew better than to gamble with Parica back in the 1990s.
i also seen Parica in some matches when he thought he was out of kinda seemed to mail it in, LOL maybe was because he wanted to get to a money match:ROFLMAO:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
i also seen Parica in some matches when he thought he was out of kinda seemed to mail it in, LOL maybe was because he wanted to get to a money match:ROFLMAO:
This reminds me of an occasion during what I believe was the 1997 BCA Championships at the Riviera in Las Vegas. A friend and I made a $10 bet on one of Efren's matches and I had Efren. When Efren fell behind 7-1 in the race to 11, my friend asked that we call of the bet. Needless to say, I was happy to do so.

He went on to explain that everyone knew that Efren had a $1000 a rack one pocket match waiting for him at the Cue Club poolroom in Las Vegas, so the general feeling was that he'd mail it in in his loser side BCA Open match so that he could leave the Riviera. My friend said he had a guilty conscience as he knew about it and, obviously, I didn't. That's why he let me out of the bet.

I think it is safe to say that Parica had that same mentality at times.

gambler67

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

View attachment 748433
keith never seemed to like efren much i remember him ribbing him in one match calling him little man throughout the match;)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
keith never seemed to like efren much i remember him ribbing him in one match calling him little man throughout the match;)
Nothing could be further from the truth. They were, are, and will always be good friends. Keith likes to rib his opponents, especially when he's in the throes of a barkfest . That's how Keith rolls. It is all in fun with Keith. He does not have a mean bone in his body.

Ask somebody in their 20s if they've ever heard of "The Color of Money" and they'll give you a deer-in-headlights look. Keith will be remembered for being Grady Seasons and his family line. His greatest strength, in my opinion, is comedically interacting with the audience during matches. The more involved the audience is, the better Keith will play. He's a performer. If calling Efren "Little Man" was a part of The Keith McCready Show," it was in fun, I can assure you.

When I read untruths, embellishments, and rumors about Keith, I will post the truth as long as I am alive. When Keith and I are dead, it won't matter because nobody will care.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
efrin, jose, keith, and many other super top players all could beat any other on a good day in a set or two.
dont ever take that away from any of them.

the only pertinent thing is about the pino players is they didnt lose much most times and when they won the american players tapped out many times. that is half the secret of making money at pool.
Bingo! You hit the nail on the head. Nobody wanted to pull a Filipino player's name at a tournament because every single one of them was capable of a win. They also did their homework and matched up good when it came to games of stake. Tough action, but in my experience, all of the Filipinos are gentle souls, humble, and very friendly.

Cue Stick

No one and I mean NO ONE would gamble even with Jose at 9-Ball or Ten Ball for nearly twenty years! He was Amang (The Man) in the Philippines and he was THE MAN here as well. Interestingly though, Efren was still considered the better player at the Philippine's main game Rotation. Many don't know that in that game, which takes equal skill to One Pocket, Efren dominated for decades. Some of our top pros found out the hard way. Efren also excelled at One Pocket (we all know that), Snooker and Three Cushions. He may have been one of the top two All Around players of all time. Harold Worst is still the best in that category.

In my opinion, Jose Parica was the best 9-Ball or Ten Ball player I ever saw. His record in tournaments was good, but not great. He excelled in long matches where serious money was at stake. He seemed to thrive on pressure, and applied it liberally to his opponents. The next best pressure player was Dennis Orcollo who never flinched when big money was on the line.
Sounds about right. Parica himself told me that one of the big differences between himself and other players is that he never choked.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Keep in mind Y'all, Varner went to the Philippines, played Efren on home court and beat em.

While improving and living in Belmont Shores, I heard about this kid in Costa Mesa.
This small pool room had a couch and a fireplace. :) That was a first, coming from Chicago. :)

I played Ether one time at the Original (Charlie the ape) Costa Mesa Hard times.
Got fortunate to win, he ran outta (his $$$) money after two sets.

He started to smooth out 2nd set, had me 10-6 or 10-7, winner break roll out 9 ball I won.
Tho after watching em play, I knew once he got rolling, I couldn't beat em.
But back then if he had more money, I would of gladly lost the $400 I had won and then moved on.
I did always enjoy watching em play King Kong on the Box, at that all night bar table place out east.
I used to get there about 1pm in my van, take a nap for a couple hours then go inside around 3am, when all the action started, after the bars closed.
I think Kieth would give em something like the Wild 5 or the 6 ball spot in those games.
Kong had no chance; Kieth would always put packages on em.

One night, right outside the front door at the all-night place while parked in my van/sleeping, someone woke me trying to break in my vehicle.

The DAZZZZZZZZZZZZe...