U.S. Open Events Won by Shane Van Boening

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shane Van Boening just won the US Open 1-Pocket event, giving him 3 wins out of the 4 US Open events played over the past 2 weeks.

If the AzB database is correct and I counted correctly, he now has 20 US Open victories:

8-Ball -- 3 wins: 2013, 2016, 2018​
9-Ball -- 5 wins: 2007, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016​
10-Ball -- 5 wins: 2011, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2024​
Banks -- 3 wins: 2018, 2019, 2024​
1-Pkt. -- 3 wins: 2012, 2018, 2024​
14.1 -- 1 win: 2019​
These 20 wins have been accumulated over an 18-year period. But note that some or all of the events other than 9-Ball were not played in many of those 18 years (and 9-Ball not in 2018 and 2020).

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A few observations:

- Shane's US Open wins in 9-Ball are, of course, the most impressive of these 20 wins because of the field strength. But winning another 15 US Open events in 5 other disciplines is also amazingly impressive.

- The 5 events he won through 2016, other than 9-Ball, were played on 7-foot tables.

- In addition to the wins, he finished second 4 times -- losses to Pagulayan in 8-Ball in 2017, Orcollo in 1-Pocket in 2014, Kiamco in 1-Pocket in 2019, and Orcollo in 14.1 in 2016. So he has won 20 of 24 (83%) times when he reached the finals.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are all the US Open events affiliated, or can anyone hold a US Open event in a discipline that's not being played?
Mark Griffin bought/established/reincarnated the US Open events other than the US Open 9-ball starting around 2010 or so. The trademarks for some of them were held by other promoters and had lapsed as they had not been held for some number of years (maybe 5?). I think that included the US Open Straight Pool Championship which had last been held in 2000 in NYC. I'm not sure about the US Open One Pocket, but I believe it was held several times before Mark took it over.

It seems that such event trademarks are "use it or lose it."

The US Open 9-Ball was always separate.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The 2024 US Open 10-ball had a smaller first prize than Turning Stone. Despite its name, it is far from being a major. Countless CSI "US Open" events have been small field, small purse events and any attempt to equate them with the US Open 9-ball is ridiculous.

Calling anything other than the US Open 9ball a US Open is on a par with calling the Dragon 14.1 events produced by Charlie Williams after 2010 as World Championships.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The 2024 US Open 10-ball had a smaller first prize than Turning Stone. Despite its name, it is far from being a major. Countless CSI "US Open" events have been small field, small purse events and any attempt to equate them with the US Open 9-ball is ridiculous.

Calling anything other than the US Open 9ball a US Open is on a par with calling the Dragon 14.1 events produced by Charlie Williams after 2010 as World Championships.
And in no way did I equate the others to the 9-Ball event or call them majors. But I find it interesting and impressive as to how well he has done in those other events, and I thought some other readers might also be interested in the current tally.

P.S. The tally might be 21 if Shane, in the 2016 14.1 finals against Orcollo, hadn't been in a state of consternation from losing earlier in the event to Bob Jewett.

tomatoshooter

It seems that such event trademarks are "use it or lose it."

The US Open 9-Ball was always separate.

So are yall coming to the US Open 4 Pocket World Championship at my house this weekend or not? The added money will be my change jar. There's got to be close to $40 in there!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
And in no way did I equate the others to the 9-Ball event or call them majors. But I find it interesting and impressive as to how well he has done in those other events, and I thought some other readers might also be interested in the current tally.

P.S. The tally might be 21 if Shane, in the 2016 14.1 finals against Orcollo, hadn't been in a state of consternation from losing earlier in the event to Bob Jewett.
Gotcha. Well said.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sure prize money is meager and field is usually not very impressive, but this year had some world beaters in the 10-ball and 8-ball. real tough field in those disciplines

would been awesome if filler, fedor et al had stayed for the banks and one hole but it's understandable they didn't after so long time in vegas. the one pocket was still a fun watch, with chohan vs biado being the best match

1sttbone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
compared to the rest of the great players that have participated in all those usopens shanes record will never be matched. very impressive to say the least.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It seems as if sjm does not care much for SVB . I have never seen good words coming from him . Maybe I am wrong .
Yes, you are wrong.

He isn't my favorite player, but I see SVB as one of the most legendary players of our times. One of the things I say the most often on this forum is that "greatness is measured in titles" and SVB's resume of titles is among the most impressive in our sport's history. His greatness is indisputable.

That said, I highly doubt any of his US Open titles outside of 9ball are the ones of which he's proudest in his career, As Garczar noted, I'm commenting on those events, not on SVB.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While the fields and purses were smaller, there wasn't a lot of dead money.

1P: 31 Players, 10 with a 760+ Fargo
Banks: 35 Players, 13 with a 760+ Fargo
10B: 63 Players, 31 with a 760+ Fargo.

The focus and mental stamina to win 3 out of 4 events is unreal, regardless of what the events are called.

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These events were never majors. But their merit was a little bit brighter before Matchroom’s preeminence than they are now. I think the alternative is that they aren’t held at all. But they do have a little history and I’ll at least tip my hat at that. Ultimately I see them and I just thank Mark Griffin for his legacy. I’m not sure much more needs to be said about them.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Why does the purse size matter? The play was excellent and even with a small field he had to go through many of the worlds best not just the best Americans, which was often the case in early US Opens.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why does the purse size matter? The play was excellent and even with a small field he had to go through many of the worlds best not just the best Americans, which was often the case in early US Opens.
Agreed. He might have had the most difficult path of anyone through the 10b tournament.