U.S. Open Events Won by Shane Van Boening

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Geez, anyone else remember that mess of a exhibition between Appleton and Strickland on some 4 pocket table diamond built specifically for that?

Did someone actually think that was going to take off? Did the table get chopped up into pieces?
Oh yeah, it really originated because of a claim Earl made that he could beat anyone on a table having no side pockets as it represented a truer test of cueing skills. Darren schooled him.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
garcia is sneaky good at one pocket, although he collapsed in the final. my biggest gripe with him is the way in which he is slow. he constantly gets up and down on a shot, which is extremely annoying
Could be a psyche. More often that not, people playing like that find errors more annoying than dirty looks. Few players have prepared a step on the gas delivery.

Reactions: sjm

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Could be a psyche. More often that not, people playing like that find errors more annoying than dirty looks. Few players have prepared a step on the gas delivery.
I'm guessing not. Roland Garcia reminds me of Warren Kiamco, a guy who also played very slowly but usually ended up playing the right shot. Like Warren, Roland is a very tough opponent.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Geez, anyone else remember that mess of a exhibition between Appleton and Strickland on some 4 pocket table diamond built specifically for that?

Did someone actually think that was going to take off? Did the table get chopped up into pieces?
That was a weird challenge match. Yes it was a Diamond table with no side pockets; corners were 4 1/4". Appleton beat Strickland 6 to 1 in 10-Ball races to 9. Successful breaks were just 27%, and break-and-run games numbered 1 in 107 games played.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

i don't know the root of it. i don't think it's gamesmanship. i played a guy with a 720ish fargo in a weekly tournament that kept doing that and removing his shoes, playing some racks barefoot. totally neurotic perfectionist. after the match i was pissed off but was told by his friends that it's OCD not gamesmanship.

still the worst kind of slow.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wanna cite Pinegar but can't peg his motivation. I'd call incompetence at pro paced games even though that woould be moot every time he takes it down. Quite often too I hear. lol.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh yeah, it really originated because of a claim Earl made that he could beat anyone on a table having no side pockets as it represented a truer test of cueing skills. Darren schooled him.

And that was the time where Appleton was winning almost everything on the planet was it not?

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wanna cite Pinegar but can't peg his motivation. I'd call incompetence at pro paced games even though that woould be moot every time he takes it down. Quite often too I hear. lol.
Orcollo does the same thing. I think it comes down to all of the players mentioned don't shoot until they are 100% ready. Something feels off and they get back up and start over which is what we should all do but I know I don't.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
That's a joke that SJM isn't calling out Shane. I came here to see the hateraide that always gets slung Shane's way when he proves once again why he's the best modern era player and continues to make an argument as to why he may become the goat and SJM was one of the names I expected to downplay the dominance that Shane just showed.

3 out of 4 events he went undefeated with many of the best players in those disciplines playing, but even with that, you won't see the haters just say "good job Shane". No, they HAVE to down play it and diminish the accomplishment. It's frickin' funny at this point because, I can name 3 or 4 names right now that will somehow diminish the next accomplishment of the next major Shane wins.

Jaden

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 out of 4 events he went undefeated with many of the best players in those disciplines playing, but even with that, you won't see the haters just say "good job Shane". No, they HAVE to down play it and diminish the accomplishment. It's frickin' funny at this point because, I can name 3 or 4 names right now that will somehow diminish the next accomplishment of the next major Shane wins.

Jaden
I would say that most of the best players were missing from the one pocket and banks at least. No gorst, pagulayan, frost, filler, orcollo, gomez etc. His main competition was Chohan who he beat for the hot seat. Decent fields but far from the best of the best attended. I don't see them as being majors until everyone who can win shows up which hasnt been the case.

I said many years ago that I didn't think SVB would win the US Open 9 ball again because all of the best from all over the world started coming. He hasn't won it since 2016. He was a pretty solid favorite until then. Now there isn't a clear favorite. A dozen or more players can realistically win it.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say that most of the best players were missing from the one pocket and banks at least. No gorst, pagulayan, frost, filler, orcollo, gomez etc. His main competition was Chohan who he beat for the hot seat. Decent fields but far from the best of the best attended. I don't see them as being majors until everyone who can win shows up which hasnt been the case.

I said many years ago that I didn't think SVB would win the US Open 9 ball again because all of the best from all over the world started coming. He hasn't won it since 2016. He was a pretty solid favorite until then. Now there isn't a clear favorite. A dozen or more players can realistically win it.
1P: 31 Players, 30% of the field had a 760+ Fargo
Banks: 35 Players, 37% of the field had a 760+ Fargo
10B: 63 Players, 50% of the field had a 760+ Fargo

It's pretty strong to win those events back to back to back in a 2 week period.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

It's pretty strong to win those events back to back to back in a 3 week period and only losing one match in the process.
Shane went undefeated in those 3 events; see post #29 above. He finished out of the money in 8-Ball, losing to Ouschan 7-8 and Garcia 6-8.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It's pretty strong to win those events back to back to back in a 2 week period.
Curious why you picked 760+. Shane is close to 80 points higher than that. What percentage were 800+ excluding Shane?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... What percentage were 800+ excluding Shane?
From the player data on the DigitalPool website, the 800s (excluding SVB) entered in the 4 US Open events over the past 2 weeks were:

10-Ball -- 13 of 62 (21%)
8-Ball -- 11 of 49 (22%)
Banks -- 4 of 34 (12%)
1-Pkt. -- 3 of 30 (10%)

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

ok, yea he's an exception from what i've seen and heard. gamesmanship doesn't seem to be beyond him, but it's obviously also a big slew of OCD with the chalking ritual thing

Orcollo does the same thing. I think it comes down to all of the players mentioned don't shoot until they are 100% ready. Something feels off and they get back up and start over which is what we should all do but I know I don't.

he has different gears. in rotation he can be very fast and entertaining