U.S. Open Events Won by Shane Van Boening

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, you are wrong.

He isn't my favorite player, but I see SVB as one of the most legendary players of our times. One of the things I say the most often on this forum is that "greatness is measured in titles" and SVB's resume of titles is among the most impressive in our sport's history. His greatness is indisputable.

That said, I highly doubt any of his US Open titles outside of 9ball are the ones of which he's proudest in his career, As Garczar noted, I'm commenting on those events, not on SVB.
Where does he rank for you all-time?

Reactions: sjm

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sure prize money is meager and field is usually not very impressive, but this year had some world beaters in the 10-ball and 8-ball. real tough field in those disciplines

would been awesome if filler, fedor et al had stayed for the banks and one hole but it's understandable they didn't after so long time in vegas. the one pocket was still a fun watch, with chohan vs biado being the best match
The field was tough at first but then a lot of those players started heading home for banks and 1 pocket so those two wins for svb were not that impressive. He didn’t win the 10 and that was when just about everyone who matters that was playing in the Las Vegas open was there.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Why does the purse size matter? The play was excellent and even with a small field he had to go through many of the worlds best not just the best Americans, which was often the case in early US Opens.
It is because low purses have often translated into small, not so elite, fields in far too many years. Because the CSI events piggybacked the World 10-ball, this year was better than usual. Some of the CSI US Opens have had fields of fewer than 20 and the Europeans, as a group, have rarely played in them.

I'm with you on the fact that this year's 10-ball was a good one, but the low prize money means that the top players won't travel overseas to play in these events very often.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Where does he rank for you all-time?
Evading the question, I'll tell you where I rank him.

Let's leave out the straight pool era for a moment. I've never had an easy time comparing Mosconi, Greenleaf and Crane to today's generation.

I think Lassiter and Sigel are the two best American 9ball players ever (yes, both were also great champions at 14.1). After that, you can take your pick between Shane, Varner and Earl for best ever American 9ball player. No matter how you slice it, Shane is a top five ever American player. Yes, I rate SVB above Archer and Hall.

Efren is still clearly the best ever by virtue of his all-around excellence. I believe that Filler will be remembered as a better player than all of these, and, at 26 years old, his resume of major titles includes many major titles that have eluded Shane (such as the China Open, UK Open, World Games gold medal, and the World Team Championship).

Guess I'd put SVB as about fifth, sixth, or seventh best in the 9ball era, behind Lassiter, Sigel, Reyes and Filler and on a par with Earl and Varner.

Yup, he's an all-time great!

Last edited:

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
So are yall coming to the US Open 4 Pocket World Championship at my house this weekend or not? The added money will be my change jar. There's got to be close to $40 in there!
Where you at tomato? If you were close I’d play you anytime. Never played 4-pocket but will give it a go.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Van Boening's undefeated paths to victory in three 2024 US Open events:

10-Ball
Francisco Sanchez-Ruiz 9-6​
Fahad Zaidaldhayan 9-3​
Alex Pagulayan 9-7​
Carlo Biado 9-2​
Daniel Maciol 9-6​
Lee Van Corteza 9-4​
Vitaliy Patsura 13-7​
Total: 67-35 (game winning percentage 66%)​
Banks
Bye​
Can Salim 5-0​
John Morra 5-0​
Skyler Woodward 5-2​
Lee Van Corteza 5-1​
Billy Thorpe 5-4​
Lee Van Corteza 6-3​
Total: 31-10 (winning percentage 76%)​

One-Pocket
John Morra 4-0​
Ed Hobbs 4-0​
Sergio Rivas 4-0​
Tony Chohan 4-3​
Billy Thorpe 4-2​
Roland Garcia 5-2​
Total: 25-7 (winning percentage 78%)​

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

10-Ball
Fahad Zaidaldhayan 9-3​
Alex Pagulayan 9-7​
Carlo Biado 9-2​
Daniel Maciol 9-6​
Lee Van Corteza 9-4​
Vitaliy Patsura 13-7​
Total: 67-35 (winning percentage 66%)​
Banks
Bye​
Can Salim 5-0​
John Morra 5-0​
Skyler Woodward 5-2​
Lee Van Corteza 5-1​
Billy Thorpe 5-4​
Lee Van Corteza 6-3​

One-Pocket
John Morra 4-0​
Ed Hobbs 4-0​
Sergio Rivas 4-0​
Tony Chohan 4-3​
Billy Thorpe 4-2​
Roland Garcia 5-2​
Especially impressive in 10ball.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... He didn’t win the 10 and that was when just about everyone who matters that was playing in the Las Vegas open was there.
He won the 10, not the 8 (his favorite game).

Edit -- Perhaps you meant he didn't win the World 10-Ball event that preceded the 4 US Open events. He lost to Gorst in the Round of 16 in the World 10-Ball.

Last edited:

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a fan, I hope I'm in his Top 20.
I suspect you mis-read my question, although ultimately interpreted it correctly.

I see why others think you don't like him. He has as many titles as anyone and in a much more stacked era. I think he's the number one American player of all time and at least needs a seat at the table for GOAT status--that is, any choice other than him would need to be explained (alongside Efren and a few others).

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

10-Ball
Fahad Zaidaldhayan 9-3​
Alex Pagulayan 9-7​
Carlo Biado 9-2​
Daniel Maciol 9-6​
Lee Van Corteza 9-4​
Vitaliy Patsura 13-7​
Total: 67-35 (game winning percentage 66%)​
Banks
Bye​
Can Salim 5-0​
John Morra 5-0​
Skyler Woodward 5-2​
Lee Van Corteza 5-1​
Billy Thorpe 5-4​
Lee Van Corteza 6-3​

One-Pocket
John Morra 4-0​
Ed Hobbs 4-0​
Sergio Rivas 4-0​
Tony Chohan 4-3​
Billy Thorpe 4-2​
Roland Garcia 5-2​

garcia is sneaky good at one pocket, although he collapsed in the final. my biggest gripe with him is the way in which he is slow. he constantly gets up and down on a shot, which is extremely annoying

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
garcia is sneaky good at one pocket, although he collapsed in the final. my biggest gripe with him is the way in which he is slow. he constantly gets up and down on a shot, which is extremely annoying
Yup. I wonder how much 1-Pocket Garcia has played. Remember Orcollo's pace when he was fairly new at it?

Last edited:

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So are yall coming to the US Open 4 Pocket World Championship at my house this weekend or not? The added money will be my change jar. There's got to be close to $40 in there!

Geez, anyone else remember that mess of a exhibition between Appleton and Strickland on some 4 pocket table diamond built specifically for that?

Did someone actually think that was going to take off? Did the table get chopped up into pieces?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup. I wonder how much 1-Pocket Garcia has played. Remember Orcollo's pace when was fairly new at it?

that's exactly who i was thinking of when i saw roland. excruciating to watch. but dennis sped up later on, and his rotation game is a ferrari compared to rolands

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I suspect you mis-read my question, although ultimately interpreted it correctly.

I see why others think you don't like him. He has as many titles as anyone and in a much more stacked era. I think he's the number one American player of all time and at least needs a seat at the table for GOAT status--that is, any choice other than him would need to be explained (alongside Efren and a few others).
No, his record overseas was pathetic for about the first ten years of his career. He did finally break through at the 2022 World Championships, but his overseas record is still a fairly weak one, and he has no significant overseas titles since then. His resume is missing many of the crown jewels of our sport. He's never won at the All Japan, the China Open, the World Games, the World Team Championship, and has no Matchroom majors in the past two years.

There's really nothing to explain. SVB is an all-time great, but it is time wasted to compare him to an Efren, a Sigel or a Filler, each of them having a superior career performance at the majors.

tomatoshooter

Geez, anyone else remember that mess of a exhibition between Appleton and Strickland on some 4 pocket table diamond built specifically for that?

Did someone actually think that was going to take off? Did the table get chopped up into pieces?
I don't remember that. I heard a little about it but haven't watched any of it. 4 pocket is played on a standard table. One player tries to get the striped balls racked on the head spot into the two pockets at the foot of the table. The other tries to get the solids racked on the foot spot into the pockets at the head of the table. It's got some of the maneuvering of one pocket but it doesn't turn into a defensive stalemate.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
If I'm not mistaken werent there scheduling conflicts at least one of the early "US Opens" in Las Vegas where a big world event was simultaneously taking place in The Middle East?

Last edited: