Is Cheng Yu-Hsuan one of best players in Taiwan?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Is this Cheng Yu-Hsuan one of the best players in Taiwan? The guy that calls himself Kevin and just won the White Diamond tournament. If it is, I think I know what match-up CSI will be telling us about Thursday night on their podcast. Johnnyt

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cheng Yu-Hsuan gave Josh Roberts the 8 ball in 10 ball and won and he beat Warren Kiamco even in houston last week for big money the kid is a great player one of the top asian players SVB said they play even but i think Shane has the best of it because he breaks better but it would be a great match to sweat Cheng said he would like to play Shane Cheng won White Diamonds with a field of killers what does that tell you i think it would take SVB to beat the kid

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen it mention Cheng lost to Josh the first night and then they tripled the bet the next night and Cheng won.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I had to correct my answer because he is ONE of the best players in Taiwan. When I scanned the question I must have thought that you were asking if he was THE BEST player in Taiwan. My bad....

JoeyA

Last edited:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cheng Yu-Hsuan gave Josh Roberts the 8 ball in 10 ball and won and he beat Warren Kiamco even in houston last week for big money the kid is a great player one of the top asian players SVB said they play even but i think Shane has the best of it because he breaks better but it would be a great match to sweat Cheng said he would like to play Shane Cheng won White Diamonds with a field of killers what does that tell you i think it would take SVB to beat the kid

Are you an auctioneer in your day job, per chance?

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
He is clearly very good and would definitely be in the mix of better players there.

But... there are guys there that are clearly more highly rated and more accomplished. Ko, Wu, Chang, I would say those guys are the three elite players there atm.

Cheng might fall in the top 10 there, but TBH that is a tough top 10 to crack. They are neck and neck with the Philippines as the toughest place on the planet to compete in pool and have a ton of monsters.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
He is clearly very good and would definitely be in the mix of better players there.

But... there are guys there that are clearly more highly rated and more accomplished. Ko, Wu, Chang, I would say those guys are the three elite players there atm.

Cheng might fall in the top 10 there, but TBH that is a tough top 10 to crack. They are neck and neck with the Philippines as the toughest place on the planet to compete in pool and have a ton of monsters.

There are NO 7 foot or 8 foot tables in Taiwan.:eek:

JoeyA

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cheng just lost to Ko in the semi-final of the Taiwan National Championship this year. Ko's younger brother beat Chang in other Semi and Ko himself in the final to win the Championship :).
and of course all of those matches are broadcasted live on full HD TV channel.
here is the link of Cheng vs Ko match.
Have fun.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjYzODQyODU2.html

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They play was very close.

I've seen it mention Cheng lost to Josh the first night and then they tripled the bet the next night and Cheng won.

Josh asked him to flip the coin and play another set and Cheng declined. He said it was to late to start another set, it was 10PM?

They are supposed to play this week again, same time, same place..., I hope so it was good action.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's been staying in Houston for a few months. The Asians staking him here say he's like the 7-8th top player in Taiwan.

I seen someone mention he wanted to play SHANE. That is far far from the truth. He declined to play SHANE, and he was offered the 9 playing 10 ball from Shane for 10k and up.

I was the one trying to set this up for Mars Man. As much as everyone says the Thais want to play Shane and will rob him etc, here's a guy ranked as like the 7th best player over there and he won't take the 9 playin 10 ball from Shane.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
He's been staying in Houston for a few months. The Asians staking him here say he's like the 7-8th top player in Taiwan.

I seen someone mention he wanted to play SHANE. That is far far from the truth. He declined to play SHANE, and he was offered the 9 playing 10 ball from Shane for 10k and up.

I was the one trying to set this up for Mars Man. As much as everyone says the Thais want to play Shane and will rob him etc, here's a guy ranked as like the 7th best player over there and he won't take the 9 playin 10 ball from Shane.

He or his backers seem to have all the moves. Maybe he's saving Shane for his last plucking. He knows if he beats Shane, even with getting the 9, his easy games will end. I hope Shane beats him and tells him to go back and tell #1-#6 to come on over and get you some SVB 10 ball. Johnnyt

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

if he did play shane and win that might not be good for him if he was trying to get action from anybody else prolly smart move he said no but he did say he would like play shane sometime just to see how he stacks up against our best that is what his backer said i heard him

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member
Is this Cheng Yu-Hsuan one of the best players in Taiwan?

Yes, he is one of the best....but not the best.

In fact Cheng Yu-Hsuan (aka Sean Cheng who wants to change his English name to Kevin) came in second to Tsung Hua Cheng, (Walter Cheng) in the BCA singles several years ago. Also lost to Walter last year in the 8 Ball pro tournament.

His game has really picked though this last year. He practices a lot with Walter and Ko, Pin-Yi. He plays even with Ko, but I like Ko better in that match up.

Last edited:

KantmakAball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He or his backers seem to have all the moves. Maybe he's saving Shane for his last plucking. He knows if he beats Shane, even with getting the 9, his easy games will end. I hope Shane beats him and tells him to go back and tell #1-#6 to come on over and get you some SVB 10 ball. Johnnyt

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if he did play shane and win that might not be good for him if he was trying to get action from anybody else prolly smart move he said no but he did say he would like play shane sometime just to see how he stacks up against our best that is what his backer said i heard him

Yes, his crew of stake horses are very sharp.
Some of the sharpest I've ever met in the pool world thru my 20+ years of gambling.