2008 DCC Room - ??? Name change ??? Volunteers ???

derekdisco

We woulda won state!
Silver Member
The Tom Ferry internet club? And on any advertisemensts or banners put the logos of all the forum sites? Just an idea.

boradriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks

First thanks to Timberly and Williebetmore and anyone else that helped set up and run the room. I met some good people and had a good time playing in the room.
As far as the name change if you change it to honor Tom Ferry than I think it is a great idea but I think we should keep the forums mentioned somewhere. Even if it just says sponsored by AZ/Onepocket members.
If you want to have other forum members join in I think that is a good idea also and if it grows out of the one room than maybe in the future we will have two rooms. I would suggest that they should all have to join one of the two original forums to make it easier for those run it to keep track of everyone and keep the information in one or two location.

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
Room names?

"Oldhasbeen's" Wanna Be Room

Skip's Place (Inside Joke for C&C regulars)

AZBilliards Room of Excellence and Other players too.

"Just Timberly"

"Oldhasbeen's....Where everybody knows your screen name"

Oldhasbeen Pool Lounge- has a laid back feeling to it!
(thats my favorite I guess)

Last edited:
T

Timberly

boradriver said:
As far as the name change if you change it to honor Tom Ferry than I think it is a great idea but I think we should keep the forums mentioned somewhere. Even if it just says sponsored by AZ/Onepocket members.
Neither website actually sponsors the room. This along with people contacting Mike & Steve on matters concerning the room, is where problems are coming in.

I like the "Tom Ferry's internet forum room of excellence" or something to that effect. I wouldn't even begrudge something in very small print stating that it's sponsored by members of the AZ/1p (IP/CCB if we add to the list next yr) forums.

boradriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree thats why in my post I said "sponsored by AZ/Onepocket members" not sponsored by AZ/1P websites.

T

Timberly

cueandcushion said:
"Just Timberly"
LOL, that would've only worked this yr. Next yr it's back to normal, but who knows... even though I won't be actively organizing the room next yr, there might be one or two out there that will still blame me for acting like it's all about me. Guess we'll just have to wait & see. :D

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
watchez said:
at the DCC I was sitting next to Monica Webb & Gerda (however you spell her last name) .

I'm sure you meant Monica and Helena. And Helena's last name would be Thornfeldt.

Fred

cueball1950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
T,
All good points. I like the idea of opening it up to CCB'ers - I would DEFINITELY like to steal some of their posters over to this forum (Popcorn, Dick Leonard, Fran Crimi, Dr. Dave, SPetty, deeman, etc.). If we post the info over there, then make them respond over here; I'm in favor of it.

WBM.... I don't think that you will ever get those that you named to switch over to AZ.. They are quite happy where they are...as a matter of fact, (and it won't be a big loss) but i think i will be back posting alot more over there in the future. I will still come by here and lurk once in awhile but for reasons i want to keep private i will be posting alot less on here in the future......mike

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not to step on anyone's toes or disparage past efforts and history, but personally, everytime I would walk by the "Room of Excellence" signage I would chuckle to myself, thinking it sounded like something from a bad corporate seminar or convention.

Lou Figueroa

Williebetmore said:
This year there were several problems with the "AZB/onepocket.org Members Room" that involved misperceptions of just what the room was supposed to be. At least several people thought it was a room to promote the websites, when in actuality it is just a members club.

Perhaps we should change the name. One possibility discussed was "The Tom Ferry Room of Excellence." If Greg Sullivan would still let us have the room without the AZB/onepocket.org designation, perhaps that would be a better name.

Please post your comments and suggestions; the room organizers (whoever the hell they are for next year) will consider them.

We also need volunteers for things like name tags, store visits for refreshments (you need to have a car), room goon (certain stature requirements must be met), and "friends of pro's" (recruit your friends to make room appearances).

T

Timberly

lfigueroa said:
Not to step on anyone's toes or disparage past efforts and history, but personally, everytime I would walk by the "Room of Excellence" signage I would chuckle to myself, thinking it sounded like something from a bad corporate seminar or convention.

Lou Figueroa
It wasn't exactly my first choice of names last yr when Tom came up with it. In the end, it was his idea and he got the ball rolling. For that reason alone, I don't mind keeping it around. ;)

We're not there to impress anyone or attract people except the pro's. The majority of members in the room know at least one or two pro's so a room name change won't hinder getting them in to play.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Timberly said:
FL is banned from the two sites that I mentioned. ;)

In person FL is a very humble, calm, pleasant and friendly person.I did feel sorry for him.I met him once and had very extesive conversation with him but I did not tell him my screen name.:cool:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Room Names

cueandcushion said:
"Oldhasbeen's" Wanna Be Room

Skip's Place (Inside Joke for C&C regulars)

AZBilliards Room of Excellence and Other players too.

"Just Timberly"

"Oldhasbeen's....Where everybody knows your screen name"

Oldhasbeen Pool Lounge- has a laid back feeling to it!
(thats my favorite I guess)

I like: "IT'S ALL ABOUT ME"!
JoeyA

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
It Came To Me In A Dream

Well, if you want a couple of hundred people paying $14.95 to enter, then the name is obvious:

Smorgass Bored Buffet

Doug

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Donovan said:
I do get that, but it makes no sesne to anyone that doesn't know who he is. I really feel having a small tourney among members or some kind of challenge game for a top score for the week and put in his name on that or something like that is a better way to remember him. Keep the name meaning what it is, just seems to makes more sense to me. If you ask a pro what is AZBilliards.com or onepocket.org they can tell you. But if you had asked them 3 years ago before the room at DCC, only some of them would have any idea what you were talking about. That room has really made people aware of the sites.

Tom was always nice to me in private and public posts. I wouldn't say this if I didn't think it makes a difference. Our members increase somewhat during and after DCC and that has to say something. I don't have stats for this, but we do seem to get lots of new posters during and right after the tourney and I for one think the room is a part of the reason. We had pros come post after last year’s event. You guys remember how many pros popped their heads in just to find out about the website. That should speak wonders. Maybe I am just an idiot who doesn't get it.

Donovan, I agree with you about the AZ room being recognized by pros and others. The word is being spread and I am for keeping it the same. Changing the name would only confuse the people who do not currently frequent AZ. Tom Ferry had a great idea but it makes sense to keep the name. To memorialize Tom, we should have create a special, annual pool tournament named after him. Name recognition is important and I see no harm in AZBILLIARDS.COM getting a little extra recognition in the process. AZ continues to grow and has some of the finest cueists on any of the forums.
JoeyA

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
watchez said:
Donovan...I respect your point. However, it made me think that while at the DCC I was sitting next to Monica Webb & Gerda (however you spell her last name) and Angry White came into the main action room with a sign that said "Louie Roberts couldn't win the Angry White Award". A friend of mine said that was disrespectful to Louie Roberts. Guess what Monica & Gerda said??? "Who is Louie Roberts?" They have never even heard of the man. This coming from two women pro players who live their life around pool. Who have been to the DCC every year I can remember & they never thought to ask anyone who Louie Roberts was??? Amazing.....but you can see naming the room after Tom Ferry won't hurt the recognition of having a room for members to go to. Just like it doesn't hurt the recognition that Cliff Joyner won the Louie Roberts award last year. I bet Monica/Gerda knew who won, just didn't understand the significance or the fact that Louie could give each of them the wild rack.

Anyone who ever saw Louie play, would never forget him.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't see anything wrong with the name AZ Billiards Room. Short and sweet, and sounds like a pool room, which it is. That's what I called it all week, and most everyone seemed to know what and where it was.

Every year (if we keep the same name), it will become more recognizable. I'd like to see a plaque in there memoralizing Tom Ferry (Martin), who was the inspiration for this room.

AZ Billiards is pretty well established in the pool community by now and is a known entity.