What is the better league

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
I play in a APA and another local league.

The APA is $8 per session if you play. Our team took 1st and won the playoffs for a chance to play in the city cup. All of the players got a trophy and a whooping $14 and some change back.

The other league ran from mid Sept to the end of April. It is a partner format with 8 players and 12 games per night with each set of partners playing 3 games heads up, no handicap. The league started out with around 25 teams but after the first month many teams folded because of the competition and egos. The young ball bangers don't like being smoked by a bunch of old men. The average age of our team is way over 65. The youngest is 50 and the oldest is 85. The 4 oldest (63, 68, 72 and 85) could still be considered shortstops. Each player pays $5 per week. Our team came in second place only 8 games out of first. Our average win was around 10 per week. We had a banquet that was included for each player but was $35 for a guest. Each player on our team got back $132.25. The first place team also got trophies. During the banquet there were 3 door prizes worth a few hundred in cash and another set of door prizes for the guests. There were then 10 drawings for each of the followings: table runs, break and runs, and 8 on the break. It appeared as if each prize was worth $10 from what our players got. Our captain's wife won a door prize that was $200.

I play in both to have a night out and to have a different challenge. I don't think that our APA team will ever make it to Vegas and I really don't care about that as I get comped to go there. Vegas is not a big deal to me. Money is a not a issue since neither payoff will make or break me.

What do you think the better league is? :D Which one would you rather play in?

If I could only play in one it would be the local league because of the high level of competition. Each game counts and one mistake will end up as a loss.

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
Seems to me the decision completely depends on what the player wants, if the money is no object.

APA will provide a social venue for one to play with their buddies and have a few beers, and not much pressure to win.

The local league will provide much more competition, and a little bit more player appreciation by the person running the league.

Honestly, you have to make the decision on your own about which you enjoy more. No one can really tell you you should enjoy tougher competition, ya know?

Anyways, just have fun!!

Russ

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
League

I would play in the non-APA league. It sounds much better, and pays much better.

Anyone still considered a shortstop at 85 is doing something ... LOL

I get 'Over-the-hill' comments all the time since I am 60, especially big tournaments, ....Funny thing is though, those 'kids' still can not beat me.

MikeM

Pool Lover
Silver Member
TheBook said:
I play in a APA and another local league.

The APA is $8 per session if you play. Our team took 1st and won the playoffs for a chance to play in the city cup. All of the players got a trophy and a whooping $14 and some change back.

The other league ran from mid Sept to the end of April. It is a partner format with 8 players and 12 games per night with each set of partners playing 3 games heads up, no handicap. The league started out with around 25 teams but after the first month many teams folded because of the competition and egos. The young ball bangers don't like being smoked by a bunch of old men. The average age of our team is way over 65. The youngest is 50 and the oldest is 85. The 4 oldest (63, 68, 72 and 85) could still be considered shortstops. Each player pays $5 per week. Our team came in second place only 8 games out of first. Our average win was around 10 per week. We had a banquet that was included for each player but was $35 for a guest. Each player on our team got back $132.25. The first place team also got trophies. During the banquet there were 3 door prizes worth a few hundred in cash and another set of door prizes for the guests. There were then 10 drawings for each of the followings: table runs, break and runs, and 8 on the break. It appeared as if each prize was worth $10 from what our players got. Our captain's wife won a door prize that was $200.

I play in both to have a night out and to have a different challenge. I don't think that our APA team will ever make it to Vegas and I really don't care about that as I get comped to go there. Vegas is not a big deal to me. Money is a not a issue since neither payoff will make or break me.

What do you think the better league is? :D Which one would you rather play in?

If I could only play in one it would be the local league because of the high level of competition. Each game counts and one mistake will end up as a loss.

Looks like your question is answered in bold above. Half the teams voted with their feet.

MM

stevea

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play in 2 apa leagues and for first place we get atleast $100 a person back at the end of the session and thats with 7 people on the team. We got trophies for everyone as well.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is very difficult to have a league without handicaps. You need the c's and d's to sustain a league. Unless you live in an area like New York you cannot get enough people at the high level to make a league.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
kaznj said:
It is very difficult to have a league without handicaps. You need the c's and d's to sustain a league. Unless you live in an area like New York you cannot get enough people at the high level to make a league.

Kaz,
I guess we are lucky here in Indy. We have VNEA Master's leagues. Two separate leagues of 10 teams, 5 players per team, no handicaps, extremely high level of play. Of course, bar boxes make everyone look like Johnny Archer; but still an awful lot of good players.

Beware_of_Dawg

Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
Of course, bar boxes make everyone look like Johnny Archer;.

yes indeed, they do.

put the same guys on a shimed 9 footer, that might be an interesting blow to a few ego's.

Da Poet

Pool is Cool
Silver Member
If you're a decent player, just about any league is more a social thing than anything else. Who the actual players are on the team would seem a lot more important than the format.

Good luck! :D

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
willie, I would enjoy playing in a league with only 5's and better. It would be challenging. I play apa on bar box. I'm a six. I hate went other team puts up a 3 against under the guise of "strategy". I would like to see handicapped leagues where you could only play players of equal ability. 3's would play 3's, 4's play 4's etc. I don't know any 3's that want to play a 7 in a pressure situation. Your league sounds like a good one.

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have played APA for a few years now and just started 2 sessions ago playing BCA.

Even though people talk about handicaps and how wrong they are IMO I like giving up the weight rather than knowing that I am going to win even.

In our BCA its a race to one format with 4 players playing four games. The wait inbetween is an equalizer as in the one game but each time up I still feel little pressure unless I am playing one of the top guys. In the APA I could be giving up a spot in a longer race but it focuses me better.
Especially if they are considered "underrated" or at the top of their SL.

In your case I would continue to play both but if you had to choose then I would take the non APA one. Sounds like it fits you needs better.

For me a 6 month league is too long. Sounds like they do two sessions a year.

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kaznj said:
willie, I would enjoy playing in a league with only 5's and better. It would be challenging. I play apa on bar box. I'm a six. I hate went other team puts up a 3 against under the guise of "strategy". I would like to see handicapped leagues where you could only play players of equal ability. 3's would play 3's, 4's play 4's etc. I don't know any 3's that want to play a 7 in a pressure situation. Your league sounds like a good one.

What happens when players change ratings and teams no longer have equal players in each SL??

I am likely to have a tournament this year that will be a three person event like your describing but I havent quite figured it all out yet.
I would like for all three people to play every match and it matter.

I think at times in the APA the best strategy is to mismatch players. I have always had low rated players that will step up and beat a better player. Some want to play them every time. I just want them to try hard and hopefully there will be an opportunity to put pressure on the better player.

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
"Better" is relative.

One person will consider APA better, the next may well consider the other league mentioned better.

What you (the OP) need to answer for yourself is, which league is better for YOU? Or a third choice - is playing in BOTH leagues best?

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not just play in the league you want and what do you care what I think about it, really?

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
kaznj said:

Kaz,
I would say that 99% of the players in these leagues would be APA 7's. It is actually a really fun league in which to compete. The lower VNEA divisions that have team handicaps are less enjoyable.

I very much like the German system; which was described to me by a friend. The players are ranked using the PAT system; and play in divisions according to their skill level. What a great idea.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
The players are ranked using the PAT system; and play in divisions according to their skill level. What a great idea.

Many years ago they used to have weekly tournaments at Golden 8 ball in Phoenix based on the skill level.Golden 8 Ball was shut down many years ago.
'C' division------- 4s & 5s on Tuesday
'B'division ---------- 6s,7s & 8s on Thursdays
Open division-----------anyone .on Mondays.Danny D`Liberto, RogerGriffis ,Late Steve knoght, Doug Hale, Guido Orlandi used to play on mondays

9s,10s,10-1 and 10-2 are not allowed to play in C & B division