JB Case too deep

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Seems this thread was started by someone who didn't love what he got.

I have several cases and decided to get a Rugged because of the good things I read about them. I don't buy something new and expect to have to go to a hardware store to have to buy something to make the item function like advertised. I'll simply get in contact with them and tell them that I want that I want the case made for my size of shaft. It is a custom case and I wasn't aware of this potential problem. As I mentioned in my previous post the person at JB I talked with was pleasant and professional. Very different from you.

You're the one talking about cancelling your order....just sayin

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
***UPDATE***
Problem solved. Easy fix.
I knew the interior was supposed to come out so after starting this thread I fiddled around and got the interior out. There's a small piece of Velcro that was holding it in at the very bottom plus it's a good, solid tight fit at the top too.
When I had it out I neatly folded the bottom over then held it with a large, 2"wide office clip, taking the wire like "handles" off the clip leaving only the black part attached.
This made it perfect with or without JP's.
I took the innards out and back in 2 or 3 times no problem, all is tight.
These cases are great, I just had to do a very little bit of tweaking.
Thanks for all the replies.

Glad that you found a solution that satisfies you. I would have suggested cork cut at the desired length and at a diameter that could be easily inserted or removed. But, I do wonder why a premier case - I never owned a JB- would not be constructed to accommodate 58 inch cues with JPS that could be removed without having to add spacers. I would think this should be standard, and if someone had a longer cue, the hollow in the case lid would accommodate the extra length. I will not buy one of these JB cases if I have to RIG it to accommodate standard 58inch cue with JPs- is this the issue with all JB cases?

JC

Coos Cues
Cues dont het dinged up in cases shitforbrains. Prove me how a cue is capable of getting dinged up in a cushioned cylinder that runs the length of the cue? Im waiting. Moron. And then find me somone that would cause so much bouncing around in said case to cause an issue. Long distance runners? Military personeel on a mission? Yo7 got sold by a salesman.

There are many cheap cases that will allow your cues to bang around inside. JB is not one of them.

Chuck's sarcasm was spot on.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems this thread was started by someone who didn't love what he got.

I have several cases and decided to get a Rugged because of the good things I read about them. I don't buy something new and expect to have to go to a hardware store to have to buy something to make the item function like advertised. I'll simply get in contact with them and tell them that I want that I want the case made for my size of shaft. It is a custom case and I wasn't aware of this potential problem. As I mentioned in my previous post the person at JB I talked with was pleasant and professional. Very different from you.
You're wrong. I LOVE these JB cases.
I have another 2/3 and have sold a 2x4/3x5, (only because I no longer carry 3 cues with me).
I also have a 1x2 GTF.
These cases are the absolute best out there. My only problem was I couldn't get the interior out of this one until I fiddled with it a few minutes. I didn't try hard before.
Also, I'm pretty sure I could've ordered it shorter.
Bottom line is these are the best, DO NOT cancel your order then go buy some junk with zero protection.

Last edited:

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like an opportunity for a product to me. How about expandable joint protectors? They would have two pieces for each end of the joint, the part that attaches to the cue and the part that is on the "end" of the joint protector (for a logo, photo, whatever). In between you could put any number of extensions (each 1/2" or so). That way you could make any cue fit any length case, as long as the cue isn't too long with the joint protector and no extensions installed. No modifications to the case necessary, nothing to add to or remove when you put a different-length cue in the case, just put the right joint protector on it!

I haven't done exhaustive research but I don't believe such a product exists.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
There are many cheap cases that will allow your cues to bang around inside. JB is not one of them.

Chuck's sarcasm was spot on.

tell me how it would damage the cue regardless of banging around? than find someone who had a cue damaged by any case unless the case was itself damaged. the fuch do you people do with these cases, play baseball with them? most who play at home don't even leave the house, and the ones that play at halls go from their door to car, car to poolhall. where in that time span do you need an armored truck for a case? noone can seem to answer that except people who own a JB case, and I owned one, even had it custom made, didn't like it. theyre built well, workmanship isn't the problem, its just too much padding, too deep pockets, had cues get stuck and a pain in the ass to get out, now if you need to add materials inside to make it reachable and and get your cue out, seems like some backwards thinking to me. a lot of people had the same complaint as me, a little less padding and the ability to get your fingers to grip your cue to be able to come out would be a nice little solution. and ide love to see the long term effect on a cues finish from rubbing it so hard putting it in and out.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tell me how it would damage the cue regardless of banging around? than find someone who had a cue damaged by any case unless the case was itself damaged. the fuch do you people do with these cases, play baseball with them? most who play at home don't even leave the house, and the ones that play at halls go from their door to car, car to poolhall. where in that time span do you need an armored truck for a case? noone can seem to answer that except people who own a JB case, and I owned one, even had it custom made, didn't like it. theyre built well, workmanship isn't the problem, its just too much padding, too deep pockets, had cues get stuck and a pain in the ass to get out, now if you need to add materials inside to make it reachable and and get your cue out, seems like some backwards thinking to me. a lot of people had the same complaint as me, a little less padding and the ability to get your fingers to grip your cue to be able to come out would be a nice little solution. and ide love to see the long term effect on a cues finish from rubbing it so hard putting it in and out.

Iv had some nice cases and cheap cases, some you can lightly shake and your stuff will be slamming all around in the case, lack of pading, pading not going high enough, etc. It's definitely possible.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't have any Gucci brand cases and in fact. I usually travel with a soft case.

I also fail to see how a cue flopping around a padded cylinder like in a cue case can get damaged.

But with respect to the tube being too long issue, I'd think it likely the result of 31" shafts. Case is ready for them, no?

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Backer rod from Home Depot, or I can send you some of these from my cases.

What type of backer rod is that? I know there are several different types

BTW, JB Case themselves sell a solution.

https://jbcases.com/accessories-repairs/spacers.html

It is essentially a stocking with a little pouch to hold a piece of PVC tubing. JB even has some videos of how to use them, you essentially tamp them down with a butt and then push the overlapping end into an adjacent slot using a shaft. My JB Case is exceptionally deep, and I have had mixed success with these spacers as the seem to be designed mostly for a fully loaded case.

One thing I always loved about the Instroke cases were the partial tubes which made it easily the best case for simplicity of getting cue parts in and out

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
snip snip snip...and ide love to see the long term effect on a cues finish from rubbing it so hard putting it in and out.

Well, I've owned one for a few years and haven't seen any damage caused by the case. I've heard this complaint before but have seen 0 evidence of it from any user.

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're wrong. I LOVE these JB cases.
I have another 2/3 and have sold a 2x4/3x5, (only because I no longer carry 3 cues with me).
I also have a 1x2 GTF.
These cases are the absolute best out there. My only problem was I couldn't get the interior out of this one until I fiddled with it a few minutes. I didn't try hard before.
Also, I'm pretty sure I could've ordered it shorter.
Bottom line is these are the best, DO NOT cancel your order then go buy some junk with zero protection.

My misunderstanding. I appreciate you relating your good experience with their cases. I talked with them before reading this and they set my mind at ease. Your explanation and the other fellows picture were what I was looking for and had requested in my post. My pool experiences are now at the clubhouse and no longer at Hard Times where I am sure I would have had the opportunity to see a case in person. Once again thanks for your input and I am looking forward to receiving my case.

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It is essentially a stocking with a little pouch to hold a piece of PVC tubing. JB even has some videos of how to use them, you essentially tamp them down with a butt and then push the overlapping end into an adjacent slot using a shaft. My JB Case is exceptionally deep, and I have had mixed success with these spacers as the seem to be designed mostly for a fully loaded case.

One thing I always loved about the Instroke cases were the partial tubes which made it easily the best case for simplicity of getting cue parts in and out

The backer rod from Home Depot is a soft, flexible material used for expansion joints. It is very inexpensive and works great for this purpose. Again, a 30” shaft or a 29” shaft with joint protectors will sit just fine. I don’t use joint protectors, so my 29” shaft sits a a little low, and I insert a couple 1” pieces of this soft material. Not a big deal - love my JB case!

Steppo

That's my Bourbon
Silver Member

It’s the cutouts to these cases

Attachments

• 1E6BC0D8-6E26-40CA-A561-434EBEEF3B2D.jpg
    1E6BC0D8-6E26-40CA-A561-434EBEEF3B2D.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 173

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a JB case, and what I do is I use a small vice grip and attach it to the end of my cue Then, I slide my cue into the case, then I press down on the vice grip until it is at a 90 angle to my cue. Then I close the lid, and I zip it shut. When I want to remove my cue, I unzip the lid, rotate the vice grips so that they are parallel to the cue, then I use the vice grips as a handle to remove my cue from the case. Works great!

Last edited: