Ray Martin..."The Man"

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been a fan of Ray Martin since I first picked up his book "The 99 Critical Shots in Pool" a long time ago and revisit it often for tips. Seems his playing time was the late 60's through the 80's and couple of respectable placings in the early 90's. He's mostly known for his straight pool but is equally adept in 9-ball and 8-ball.

I ran across these two clips on YouTube where a then 69 year old Martin took on a young gun by the name of Corey Duel and a guy by the name of Efren Reyes (both needs no introduction). Watch what happens when they meet this elder billiard statesman in the 2005 "King of the Hill" 8-ball tourney where the IPT was trying to make their mark in the pool world and invited anyone to play for big money who was still able to handle a cue.

Watch the top one first (his match with Corey) then the second one with Efren. I watched both of these three times and never got bored...interesting commentary by Duel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojLwMG5naNE&spfreload=10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6A5ELgtdMI&spfreload=10

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been a fan of Ray Martin since I first picked up his book "The 99 Critical Shots in Pool" a long time ago and revisit it often for tips. Seems his playing time was the late 60's through the 80's and couple of respectable placings in the early 90's. He's mostly known for his straight pool but is equally adept in 9-ball and 8-ball.

I ran across these two clips on YouTube where a then 69 year old Martin took on a young gun by the name of Corey Duel and a guy by the name of Efren Reyes (both needs no introduction). Watch what happens when they meet this elder billiard statesman in the 2005 "King of the Hill" 8-ball tourney where the IPT was trying to make their mark in the pool world and invited anyone to play for big money who was still able to handle a cue.

Watch the top one first (his match with Corey) then the second one with Efren. I watched both of these three times and never got bored...interesting commentary by Duel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojLwMG5naNE&spfreload=10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6A5ELgtdMI&spfreload=10
Cool vids. Thanks for posting.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Ray was still real smooth in these videos.

Corey was the epitome of early 2000's fashion here lol.

As big a bust as IPT turned out, I remember the excitement of when it was happening.

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks fellas...it was amusing to watch these guys shoot against the old man. Corey was saying he was gonna lose to Ray Martin and I never saw Efren look worried before in any match. Ray made it seem like a walk in the park.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He could play a little one pocket too

Back in 80-something, I somehow got hooked up playing Ray Martin one pocket. At the time, with me being a young kid, he looked like an old man without a stroke. He beat me ten racks in a row. To make a ball against him, it had to be something really fancy because we wouldn't risk giving up anything.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I was front and center when Ray won the 1978 PPPA World 14.1 Championship, topping the defending champion Allen Hopkins in the final. He was a very special player and merits mention among the greatest ever straight poolers. Only Mosconi, Greenleaf, Crane, Sigel and Varner were a clear cut above Ray at 14.1. Ray is more on a par with names like Balsis, Hopkins, Lassiter, Caras, and West. Ray was as classy as he was skillful --- a role model of the highest order.

I do not agree that he was just as capable at nine ball. Ray, as was true of several of the old straight pool masters, was not nearly as successful at nine ball when it replaced straight pool as the primary game.

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was front and center when Ray won the 1978 PPPA World 14.1 Championship, topping the defending champion Allen Hopkins in the final. He was a very special player and merits mention among the greatest ever straight poolers. Only Mosconi, Greenleaf, Crane, Sigel and Varner were a clear cut above Ray at 14.1. Ray is more on a par with names like Balsis, Hopkins, Lassiter, Caras, and West. Ray was as classy as he was skillful --- a role model of the highest order.

I do not agree that he was just as capable at nine ball. Ray, as was true of several of the old straight pool masters, was not nearly as successful at nine ball when it replaced straight pool as the primary game.

Thanks for the input...yes straight pool was his game but like you said as times change he put his focus into 9 & 8 ball which he's won several titles or placed high in those events as well.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks fellas...it was amusing to watch these guys shoot against the old man. Corey was saying he was gonna lose to Ray Martin and I never saw Efren look worried before in any match. Ray made it seem like a walk in the park.

It is for this very same reason that some of us have to chuckle when comparisons are made between newer players and the elders when it comes to 14.1.

It’s not really close.

Lou Figueroa

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Old Fart had a birthday last Wednesday. I think he's 104ish now but still playing more hours a day than I want to. And at a considerably higher level. If he happens to see this thread Happy Birthday from the guys at his old pool hall. I think a couple of them actually called and said hello..

cool video's, thanks for posting.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great matches. The sixth game between Ray and Efren was amazing. Interesting that Efren appears to have changed cues in the middle of the match. Thanks for posting the links.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I watched the match against Deuel, and man, Deuels comments and haircut sure made it hard to cheer him on. I had Mr. Martin as my favourite in that one. He has what I consider a perfect pace/rhytm for 8 ball and a very good temperament, which is more important in that game, I think, than any other. This guy must have been brutal in the peak of his career, when he still packed this much punch at that age. Would be quite something to watch a straightpool match from those days. I have watched some more recent matches of his, though. Great straight pool player, an inspiration for everyone who wants to keep playing as they get older.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Did you miss naming The Miz to those 2 groups of players you mentioned? Which of those 2 groups would you put him in, if either?

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Hard to see on my device but it looks like Cool Cat was using a billiard apron during those matches, something many used to use but very rare these days:cool:

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes, he was terrific in these 8 ball matches in 2005. Now, for those who haven’t seen it, here he is in 2011, in his mid-70’s, taking out the then-defending champion of the World 14.1 Tournament - Oliver Ortmann. If you like to watch straight pool, you will be in heaven watching this match!

https://youtu.be/UcquCQEjHHs

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I watched the match against Deuel, and man, Deuels comments and haircut sure made it hard to cheer him on. I had Mr. Martin as my favourite in that one. He has what I consider a perfect pace/rhytm for 8 ball and a very good temperament, which is more important in that game, I think, than any other. This guy must have been brutal in the peak of his career, when he still packed this much punch at that age. Would be quite something to watch a straightpool match from those days. I have watched some more recent matches of his, though. Great straight pool player, an inspiration for everyone who wants to keep playing as they get older.

In this link the author writes about Ray's "deliberate tempo" and the history of his nickname.

https://www.nytimes.com/1971/04/25/archives/earth-shook-but-not-cool-cats-cue.html

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Did you miss naming The Miz to those 2 groups of players you mentioned? Which of those 2 groups would you put him in, if either?

Yes, an oversight. Mizerak is in Group 1. Guess I dogged it this time.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched Ray play straight pool in N.J. in the '60s.
But it was long ago and I don't remember a lot.