is the schmidt record legit or not

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Adapted form a post I made in the 14.1 forum:

I believe the run happened, and its validation by the BCA is enough evidence of me. That said, this is a matter of opinion and I'm trying to get a better handle on why others question whether the run was legit.

For me, the facts don't add up if this was all a hoax and the video was doctored to hide a miss or a foul, because:

1) given how unprepared John's team was for the release of the record setting run were it to occur, one must presume that the run caught them all off guard.

2) if they spent the period immediately following the alleged run doctoring/editing the video, they would have had plenty of time to come up with a marketing plan for release and marketing of the run.

3) given that John's team appears to have had no intention to market the run, what was the motive? Has anybody gained from this run financially? The BCA, which has not used the run in any way in its marketing of pool, certainly had no financial interest in signing off.

A couple of other thoughts.

Who is to say what the rules are governing an exhibition or even what an exhibition is?

All ball fouls?
We have seen Mosconi play an exhibition without using the all-ball fouls rule in a match with Caras. If the kind of foul that wouldn't be a foul unless this rule was in effect were to be found on careful inspection of the video, would it invalidate the run?

Consultation?
Some have commented that shots may have been discussed along the way. If one or more positions were discussed with others who were present, does it invalidate the run?

Was this Really an Exhibition?
Some have taken note that the run began well before the poolroom was open to the public. A case can, therefore, be made that it wasn't an exhibition run at all. Is a run that was only partially available for view by the general public really an exhibition run?

It's all very confusing. While I'm fully satisfied of the run's legitimacy, I don't want to be dismissive of those who are suspicious, but if it turns out that this was all a hoax and that the BCA endorsed a run that wasn't legitimate, it will be a sad day in our sport's history.

Finally, I don't feel that John's continuing delay of releasing the video to the general public should be viewed as making it more likely that there are issues with the run. The video belongs to John and his team and it is their right to handle its release (or non-release) as they choose.

Conclusion
While I believe the run happened, I cannot be dismissive of those who still question its validity. They raise some valid questions, and what's wrong with them insisting on more evidence?

I believe it is bogus. The circumstances are just too convenient and suspicious. He had been live streaming for weeks, then he announces he found some straight pool secret and bam the record is set without witnesses or streaming but on video. He is capable of it, but I think the circumstances are too fishy IMO, and the way it has been handled since then only furthers that convenience. I also REALLY am skeptical of the number. When researchers fake test results they use numbers that are not random have certain patterns and are relatable. We are supposed to believe he just happened to beat the run by a 100 balls. Dont think so.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I'm new here obviously so hi yall. I enjoy the action stories although I question the wisdom of knocking yourself lol.
Anyway, 626 is just a vaguely quantified number. Same the 768. The thing that strikes me about the alleged record is, "5 inch pockets". JS says ya gotta have 'em. Who 'm I to argue? I do think though, that "record" attempts should be made on ultra tight equipment; no slack on the random outcomes. Contenders would just have to shoot the compound shots (banks, billiards, combos, and any soup they can call) to keep getting out. If that caps the human achievement at one or two hundred, so be it.
What size were the pockets on the table used by Mosconi? (I know the answer, do you?)

Sent from the future.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I believe it is bogus. The circumstances are just too convenient and suspicious. He had been live streaming for weeks, then he announces he found some straight pool secret and bam the record is set without witnesses or streaming but on video. He is capable of it, but I think the circumstances are too fishy IMO, and the way it has been handled since then only furthers that convenience. I also REALLY am skeptical of the number. When researchers fake test results they use numbers that are not random have certain patterns and are relatable. We are supposed to believe he just happened to beat the run by a 100 balls. Dont think so.
100 is statistically no more or less likely than 97, 98, 101 or 103. It is 100% in your head that it has any significance.

Sent from the future.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
does anyone but danny dispute the record

i got tired of reading the thread,but i am curious if any
reasonable doubt exist

The record stands, it will always stand and yes, I have my own bias as to why I want him to have the record.

Back in 2016 when he played Pagulayan, it was streamed with two announcers. During the game, one announcer asks the other announcer what cue he plays with, my name was mentioned very respectfully, as was Davey Jones. It was even noted that back in 16 there was already 20 cues of mine in one Pool Hall in California.

I know, it didn't happen without pictures so here you go, (plug at 1 hour 38 minutes in.)

https://youtu.be/lPt-P0xWODw

Pangit

Banned
enough let the cat die here

i just wondered and the long talk was confusing

i conclude it is legit

18_pandoras-box.jpg

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So why should he settle for 626?

Why isn't he back at it trying to do it again?

I'm not a fan but he does play good.

He's the fastest guy I know to block someone on Facebook.

He likes to belittle people and call them names but he can't take it back.

Blocks people like a coward. .He's certainly no John Barton that will debate to death.

As far as the truth, I really don't care. .I'm just an eight ball bar box banger.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So why should he settle for 626?

Why isn't he back at it trying to do it again?

I'm not a fan but he does play good.

He's the fastest guy I know to block someone on Facebook.

He likes to belittle people and call them names but he can't take it back.

Blocks people like a coward. .He's certainly no John Barton that will debate to death.

As far as the truth, I really don't care. .I'm just an eight ball bar box banger.

He did what he set out to do. I bet if someone ran 700 on film he would then try to break that record. He dedicated his life for months to break 526 on film. Now he can just focus on other things. Congrats to him over the weekend winning the one pocket and splitting the 9 ball with Oscar.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John breaking a record with larger than regulation pockets is no different than someone breaking a free throw record with an enlarged hoop circumference. It wouldn't be recognized.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
If John had used 3 inch pockets they'd complain that it allowed him to focus easier and was not as hard as the buckets on the Mosconi table.

Sent from the future.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If John had used 3 inch pockets they'd complain that it allowed him to focus easier and was not as hard as the buckets on the Mosconi table.

Sent from the future.

All the obfuscation isn't incompetence, its plausible deniability. Well, I, I, I, I just couldn't get the tape out. Come on man.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just two
WPA: Corner Pocket Mouth: between 4.5 [11.43 cm] and 4.625 inches [11.75 cm]
BCA: Mouth: 4 7/8” minimum to 5 1/8” maximum

I see why he went with BCA, what a total joke.

He was talking about the specs of the table Mosconi ran 526 on...…

Far cry from regulation standards today.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
possible issues

Adapted form a post I made in the 14.1 forum:

(Deleted body of post. Hu)

Conclusion
While I believe the run happened, I cannot be dismissive of those who still question its validity. They raise some valid questions, and what's wrong with them insisting on more evidence?

The main issues for me are that it is being called an exhibition record and that there was zero oversight. The business was closed for much of the run and if there were any witnesses to the complete run they were far from impartial.

This was clearly not an exhibition by any stretch of the imagination so the run if accepted needs to be labeled in a different manner. Videoed practice run? I suspect there is an issue with the video that might be an issue for organizations like Guinness. My understanding was that the camera was on a tripod. john's body probably hid some shots. A pool player watching might not care, a certification organization might.

In general practice if you exceed the RDA of supplements by some amount it is considered doping. That may be an issue for people like the Guinness folks too. I believe john entirely accidentally gave himself the mild sedative he needed to get past the yips. Massive doses of B-12 mellow you out short term, only give you energy in the longer term. Three days of massive B-12 supplements may indeed have benefited his performance just not in the way he hoped or expected.

All of the constant cleaning had the balls opening nicely. Can't help wondering if they had a little added help. It would be in keeping with the soft table and such. john himself said he realized time was running out for him to set a record. He might have been feeling a little desperate and have shaved the dice a bit there like the table. I have always felt that he and his buddies using a different set of balls than anyone else in high run competitions was BS.

Calling this an exhibition run or practice run indicates it could be played under any rules or no rules at all. Reminds me of when the billiards players first learned to jam balls in the corner and play the nurse shot. That and plastic balls and all of a sudden they were having runs over five hundred points.

I understand there is some interest on facebook. Some here too. Anybody hear any buzz in a pool hall or at events? I think in general this run is unaccepted or most people, even most pool players, just don't care.

To summarize: I think an exhibition run has to be set in an exhibition. I think there should be some minimal oversight of a record attempt so many of the questions with this run don't come up. While doping isn't illegal in pool, it may affect some organizations willingness to accept a record. I do think john would have been smarter to keep the supplements to himself. john probably ran the balls. Like some other high runs, I think the conditions this one was set under will keep it from being widely admired. Perhaps straight pool has became so irrelevant that people wouldn't care if a record was set in Times Square on New Year's Eve.

Hu

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
This is going to be devastating news for the BCA. Who is going to tell them?

Sent from the future.