Dale Perry cues?

cuekev

Thread killer
Silver Member
I was browsing The Hole Thang's web page and looked at the pro shop. I spotted the Dale Perry cues. They look very nice. I was wondering if the DP's are all custom? Does anyone play with a DP? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
cuekev said:
I was browsing The Hole Thang's web page and looked at the pro shop. I spotted the Dale Perry cues. They look very nice. I was wondering if the DP's are all custom? Does anyone play with a DP? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

After puking in my mouth at the mere mention of "him", I choose not to reply in fear of continuation of same. :eek:

Nickelsig229

Registered
Would like to hear more opinions of DP cues. I was kicking around the idea of ordering one as my introduction to custom cue's but after these two posts I have an uneasy feeling....

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nickelsig229 said:
Would like to hear more opinions of DP cues. I was kicking around the idea of ordering one as my introduction to custom cue's but after these two posts I have an uneasy feeling....

I would, if you are intent on buying one of his cues, buy it on EBay from him. You will get a much better price.

Having said that, personally I would either buy a Joss or speak with as many cuemakers as possible to find out price and options. There are tons of GREAT makers out there who can make you an entry level cue that will play as well as anything out there.

Good luck.

PoolSleuth

Banned
Nickelsig229 said:

I think you need to state a BUDGET, and Start a NEW POST ask for advice on a First Custom...

Or TRY this LINK------->>>>>>http://www.cuemakers.org/aca-rstr.htm

Ignore Dale Perry, Meucci

Check out the others, and remember BarryS, and SouthWest have long wait lists...

Good Luck.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PoolSleuth said:
Ignore Dale Perry, Meucci

You crack me up.

Any reason other than being a follower that you are telling him to ignore Meucci? Throw out that magical word that is used with so much meaning here on the boards...WHIPPY :D
Just hysterical, thanks for the laugh.

strtshtr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perry

cuekev said:

I realize that DP is very unpopular on this board. While I agree that he is a bit of an eBay whore, and that his sticks have little chance of appreciating, I must give my personal endorsement to the quality of his product.

I have purchased three of his sticks. One new sneaky pete with uniloc for my son, which is a fine stick for a reasonable price. I bought a very handsome, simple rosewood with nickel bands that plays quite well. And thirdly, i bought another sneaky pete that i have converted to break/jump duty by installing a phenolic ferrule.

While i wouldn't compare the DPs to my preferred Omen sticks, i would rate Dale's quality very high for the $200- $300 price range. And my experience with Dale and his customer support has been very good also.

Jim

soljaime

Registered
I have a Dale Perry cue that looks good and plays every bit as well as my more expensive Paul Dayton cue. I purchased the cue on EBay, so I got a good price on it.

One of the understandable reasons that people on this board don't support Dale is that he began selling his cues on EBay. Dealers that carried his cues were not told, and they were undercut severely. The result was the they lost money, and people that paid dealer prices for their cues saw their cues depreciate.

I understand the discontent, but in my opinion, they are good sticks for the price on eBay.

TheHole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have bought and sold many Dale Perry's. Our #1 player Chuck Dorsett has played with a custom DP cue (that Chuck designed) for a number of years. My 2 playing cues are Dale Perry customs, so I do know a lot of people that love his work. They are better, in my opinion, than any $300 cue on the market. Dale is a pleasure to work with and I recommend anyone to check him out.

Jigger

Lets Roll....(...(..(.(O
Silver Member
DP Cues

strtshtr said:
I realize that DP is very unpopular on this board. While I agree that he is a bit of an eBay whore, and that his sticks have little chance of appreciating, I must give my personal endorsement to the quality of his product.

I have purchased three of his sticks. One new sneaky pete with uniloc for my son, which is a fine stick for a reasonable price. I bought a very handsome, simple rosewood with nickel bands that plays quite well. And thirdly, i bought another sneaky pete that i have converted to break/jump duty by installing a phenolic ferrule.

While i wouldn't compare the DPs to my preferred Omen sticks, i would rate Dale's quality very high for the $200- $300 price range. And my experience with Dale and his customer support has been very good also.

Jim

I do agree with Jim's comments above. Roughly two years ago I bought and later resold locally two new mid-level 4 point DP's. They were purchased on ebay in the $350 to $400 price range. IMO both played very well with good balance and slightly stiffer than avg shafts. The quality of materials and workmanship was very good. The style is OK but predictable. The 1/1 stuff is pretty much BS. Kind of skinny handles/butts.

I can't vouch for customer service since I've had no special requests for Mr. DP. Assuming the quality of materials and workmanship remains as it was 2 yrs ago, I'd say if you stay under a cost of $400 on ebay you get a lot of bang for your buck.

>>>It's all a matter of personal preference. Play with as many brands and styles as possible before deciding. Good Luck - Have fun searching.:)

Last edited:

bsmutz

Fearlessly Happy
Silver Member
I have to side with the people who are pleased with Dale Perry's work. While I don't play too much with mine, it is still a very well made cue and just what I wanted when I bought it.

TheHole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the customer service side:
I recently purchased a birdseye maple/ebony cue with ivory points. It was #2 of 10. When I recieved it, one of the points had a small small imperfection in the ebony. I called Dale and told him, he said ship it to him, and within 10 working days I had my stick back and it was perfect. Played with it ever since and get tons of comments on it.

tom haney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nickelsig229 said:

Buy it on EBAY from him. Great hitting cues. You can probably
find one for under $400 that will look great and hit great. It's
as nice as my $1300 Tim Scruggs which I really like.
Just don't try to re-sell DP. Right, guys?

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
hondo said:
Buy it on EBAY from him. Great hitting cues. You can probably
find one for under $400 that will look great and hit great. It's
as nice as my $1300 Tim Scruggs which I really like.
Just don't try to re-sell DP. Right, guys?

Hondo,

I agree.

I'll even trade you my DP for that Scruggs, nice guy that I am :)

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
cuekev said:
I've had a few DP's over the years, with and without Predator shafts. They are a great intro cue for the money. As any research will turn up, he is typically well regarded for playability, but NOT for collectability.

IMO, you can't go wrong with one of his cues as your FIRST cue. The price entry point is very enticing, and you do get a lot of cue for your investment. I recommend his cues, or other "mass production cues in custom cue clothing." Don't fret about the low resale of his cues -> the people who keep telling you about that are just sore because they lost money on a DP cue they bought.

-td <-- it happend to me too, but I just took the lumps and moved on

Purdman

Banned
Whatever you buy, the only person that needs to be happy with it is you. Don't worry about what everybody else thinks. I will tell you that you should hit a cue a few times before you buy it. If he will let you try it and you like it, buy it. Nobody elses opinion matters!
Purdman

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont agree.....

Purdman said:
Whatever you buy, the only person that needs to be happy with it is you. Don't worry about what everybody else thinks. I will tell you that you should hit a cue a few times before you buy it. If he will let you try it and you like it, buy it. Nobody elses opinion matters!
Purdman

I dont agree with the above. I too, have a DP cue that plays really nice, it is a Oak Titlist conversion that is about 5 years old. I probably have more in it than I would EVER get out of it. The DP cues are getting a bad rap I feel for the lowered value verses the playablity.

I do giggle a little bit, as when Dale's cues were selling 1-2K they played great, now that they cost 3-500 they play terrible......

But Purdman says you are the only one that matters, but as mentioned earlier when you try to resell it will be tough.

But if you get one off E-bay cheap, Its really going to be tough to lose money.

JMO

Ken