Cue market

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buying?

Selling?

Holding?

Pawning? (either end)

Seller's, it's early in this crisis, noticed any decline in purchases?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Buying?

Selling?

Holding?

Pawning? (either end)

Everything goes in cycles, in all honestly the Cue market is like Pool in declining mode.

Even if their was no Corona Virus, the market like the number of bars with pool tables, real pool rooms has declined in the Valley of the Sun in the last ten years.

I could make a list of the place that closed that were hot bed of place played pool for fun, league, or we're know as the place to go for action. Many gone, and not reopening.

I took from time to time at our own AZB - For Sale Section, I say if it was 2010, not 2020 that would not be listed for sale, but makes SOLD, or PENDING.

Can not predict the future of pool, but have some history I have lived, color it bleeding red blood in the USA.

JMHO

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The answer to your question is not just cue related. In any time of severely declining investment markets- higher end non necessary purchases always suffer. In addition, in any recession period, when businesses are closing and people are losing jobs in massive amounts- all levels of non- necessary purchases decline and also selling at prices reduced from recent prior market value ramps up to meet people's need for cash to pay for more essential needs.
The only real buyers of higher end items are usually those who had been cash flush prior to a downturn and will attempt to buy higher valued items at severely reduced prices; hoping to cash in at future dates; the old buy low/sell high mantra! Those who have existing orders and are confident in their ability to stay afloat will most likely keep their orders open.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
My person arsenal is just a couple, honeslty one maybe be put up for sale, the other is a daily player. I had sold off many years ago.

Actually think of another case, but aagain at this time I am in thinking only mode.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i ordered 10 yesterday from a prominant cue maker
at times like this it is good for us both,he has guaranteed income i have an opprtunity to
get more than normal and we both remember each other for a long time

friends are forged during times like these

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Look at prices on ebay. Market appears strong:)

Buddy has an e-bay store, he buys stuff from old people at garage sales, he know what old stuff sell, and what is a good deal.

If he was buying and selling Pool Cues, he would be known as a flipper. Business is good, and people are still buy other people's stuff.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buying?

Selling?

Holding?

Pawning? (either end)

You already know i'm just a hobby guy, so maybe should not comment. But NY state is in lockdown, it snowing pretty good outside, and i'm bored. :D

I sell a few sneaky style cues the same way i used to sell woodworking tools.

My dealer in Canada once called and said a customer didn't want the plane ($4.500.00 ea) because it appeared slightly used. I said, "call the next guy on the waiting list" But first tell him: I make a tool and try it myself, extensively, tune it up based on that. Then i let some select other people use it and report. Finally, i tune it up again, refinish if necessary, take a couple test cuts again, and ship it.

Where this relates to cues & your Q: I've only sold cues that people tried and wanted to buy out of my hands. Or wanted the "same thing but longer" or different weight.

So yeah, have one finished and one nearly so, no where to try.
Another complication - need shaft wood and can't get out to look for any.

smt

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Buying?

Selling?

Holding?

Pawning? (either end)

I'm going to use this time to at least prepare and schedule my online ads. I still have some cues to sell but it's more of a nuisance at this point than a moneymaker.

If it's like everything else except household goods, business has come to a grinding halt as people are shocked, concerned about layoffs and hunkering down.

If you have the cash and not concerned about your income, the real bargains should start showing up.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's a bit early in this crisis to pose a question asking for market predictions. It's like trying to predict the outcome of LeMans during the second lap.

Personally, as this drags-on, I would not be surprised to see prices tank as players and collectors are out of work for 4-6-8 weeks or longer and start selling things they don't need to make-up for lost income.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Until things start looking better economically, which is linked to this infection and long term recovery,
I don’t foresee anything other than a depressed market for higher end custom cues. If you look at a
cue as a investment, how much should it be correlated to the worth of the dollar or the stock market?

Every single economist worth their salt says we are in a big recession. And if things don’t improve with
this infection soon, America could reach an economic depression. Even the Sec’y of Treasury forewarned
that 20% unemployment was a possibility and if the nation has to essentially shut down, over 30%. Just
keep in mind that FDR had unemployment of almost 25% and there were bread lines. Right now no one
knows how bad things are going to become but everyone agrees it is going to get a lot more worse before
better. Testing is just getting started and look at the rate of increase. In Italy, the Italian Army has been
using military transport trucks to carry the dead bodies in the middle of the night to avoid being seen.

Reality says we don’t know what awaits us and what the after effects will be or how long it takes for any
normalcy to return, let alone economic prosperity. This economic downturn involves more than just the
value of your retirement account shrinking day by day. The stock market can bounce back in months, and
maybe even weeks, but restoration of jobs, business infrastructure, rebuilding the workforce, integration of
all the pending graduating seniors both from HS and college, the looming tax increases we’ll all bear since you
just can’t add 2 trillion, 3, 4, maybe 5 trillion dollars to our national debt that’s already skyrocketing beyond belief.

So when a person looks to get a cue, shouldn’t a cue be subject to the same economic downturn in value
that other things also suffer? In a recession, let alone a possible depression if the right decisions aren’t soon
rendered, pawned items receive less value because there are less buyers. Pawn your Rolex in a week vs. say
a year ago, and see how much less you get. Cues are the same and probably more so since it has a smaller
audience of buyers, at least the better, more expensive customs do......IMO. Sometimes it takes awhile to
sell those cues even in a better market than right now.

All in all, until there’s less uncertainty & improved economic outlook, my take is there’ll be less demand
for custom cues. Now I might be wrong. This is just my opinion. But I forecasted this market downturn
after that Friday afternoon RoseGarden speech 1 hr. before the stock market closed. The handwriting was
on the wall how bad things were going to become. My post and prediction is in the non-pool related forum.
I was so certain this would happen I assumed short positions in the market & you can see how that’s turned out.

With this virulent virus spreading across the nation, both our economy & the world economy is gradually
shutting down. And buying a custom cue has always been a questionable investment but right now it seems a
little frivolous given the state of affairs. Like I wrote earlier, this is only my opinion and I could be mistaken.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Until things start looking better economically, which is linked to this infection and long term recovery,
I don’t foresee anything other than a depressed market for higher end custom cues. If you look at a
cue as a investment, how much should it be correlated to the worth of the dollar or the stock market?

Every single economist worth their salt says we are in a big recession. And if things don’t improve with
this infection soon, America could reach an economic depression. Even the Sec’y of Treasury forewarned
that 20% unemployment was a possibility and if the nation has to essentially shut down, over 30%. Just
keep in mind that FDR had unemployment of almost 25% and there were bread lines. Right now no one
knows how bad things are going to become but everyone agrees it is going to get a lot more worse before
better. Testing is just getting started and look at the rate of increase. In Italy, the Italian Army has been
using military transport trucks to carry the dead bodies in the middle of the night to avoid being seen.

Reality says we don’t know what awaits us and what the after effects will be or how long it takes for any
normalcy to return, let alone economic prosperity. This economic downturn involves more than just the
value of your retirement account shrinking day by day. The stock market can bounce back in months, and
maybe even weeks, but restoration of jobs, business infrastructure, rebuilding the workforce, integration of
all the pending graduating seniors both from HS and college, the looming tax increases we’ll all bear since you
just can’t add 2 trillion, 3, 4, maybe 5 trillion dollars to our national debt that’s already skyrocketing beyond belief.

So when a person looks to get a cue, shouldn’t a cue be subject to the same economic downturn in value
that other things also suffer? In a recession, let alone a possible depression if the right decisions aren’t soon
rendered, pawned items receive less value because there are less buyers. Pawn your Rolex in a week vs. say
a year ago, and see how much less you get. Cues are the same and probably more so since it has a smaller
audience of buyers, at least the better, more expensive customs do......IMO. Sometimes it takes awhile to
sell those cues even in a better market than right now.

All in all, until there’s less uncertainty & improved economic outlook, my take is there’ll be less demand
for custom cues. Now I might be wrong. This is just my opinion. But I forecasted this market downturn
after that Friday afternoon RoseGarden speech 1 hr. before the stock market closed. The handwriting was
on the wall how bad things were going to become. My post and prediction is in the non-pool related forum.
I was so certain this would happen I assumed short positions in the market & you can see how that’s turned out.

With this virulent virus spreading across the nation, both our economy & the world economy is gradually
shutting down. And buying a custom cue has always been a questionable investment but right now it seems a
little frivolous given the state of affairs. Like I wrote earlier, this is only my opinion and I could be mistaken.

Succinct and clear, as usual