Mark Wilson stands down as United States captain

Don Akerlow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
22nd December

Mark Wilson stands down as United States captain

FOLLOWING THREE YEARS at the helm of the USA Mosconi Cup side, Mark Wilson has stood down as captain after the recent heavy defeat at the Alexandra Palace, London. Wilson was appointed in January 2014 following a run of defeats and was in charge of all team affairs for the next three Mosconi Cups, all of which resulted in losses.

Commented Wilson; “The three year record speaks for itself and while it is personally painful and deeply disappointing, it is the reality. Sport is about winning and a philosophy change is due when the scoreboard reflects a team's shortcomings.

“Despite the pain of losing there have been victories towards building the sport and I hold no regrets in terms of the efforts, support, and direction chosen. The tremendous individual people and businesses that have shared the vision and contributed wilfully to create a brighter future for billiards all have my deepest gratitude.

“I completely respect the opportunity afforded me to be part of the best event that our sport has to offer. All of us look forward to the day that Team USA reclaims the Mosconi Cup.”

Matchroom Sport Chairman Barry Hearn said, “I’d like to go on record to thank Mark and his team for all the hard work they put in to try and turn American fortunes around in the Mosconi Cup. Mark is a man of great integrity and has a deep passion for the sport and it is a personal disappointment to me that the results didn’t come for him.”

Matchroom Sport hopes to announce new leadership details in the New Year.

Luke Riches, Matchroom Sport: luke.riches@matchroom.com

Notes: MATCHROOM SPORT is one of the world’s leading producers of televised sport and is responsible for over 1,000 hours of original programming across a range of sports. Based in the UK and chaired by charismatic founder Barry Hearn, they operate three pool events; the Mosconi Cup, the World Cup of Pool and the World Pool Masters. In addition, the company produce a multitude of events in darts, snooker, tenpin, golf, fishing, ping pong, poker and boxing.

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member
I just think if Mike Page was captain he would use Fargorate for his wildcard picks and we would have the best shot of winning every year that way.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just think if Mike Page was captain he would use Fargorate for his wildcard picks and we would have the best shot of winning every year that way.

That's funny that's kinda what happened with Oscar being left out , how did that work out for them
Not to mention Shane has the highest on either team what's his winning pct in cup play

Last edited:

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member
That's funny that's kinda what happened with Oscar being left out , how did that work out for them

wrong, if they pick top 3 from matchroom points each year and the top 2 players from fargorate that didnt make the top 3 from matchroom points then even this year would have been a slightly different group than what it was.

it would have been SVB, Morris, Bergman, Archer, and Deschaine this year. Which incidently is the top 5 on fargorate at this very moment but may change by next year based on performance. We still might have lost but at least we are pulling from the best talent pool each year this way.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

If that was all it took it would be easy. Unfortunately the top American player according to fargorate has not fared well in these matches. If he had played to his usual level of excellence perhaps the match would not have been so one sided.

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member
If that was all it took it would be easy. Unfortunately the top American player according to fargorate has not fared well in these matches. If he had played to his usual level of excellence perhaps the match would not have been so one sided.

Heres the fact, if he peaked already and is now on a downward spiral then fargorate will eventually reflect this change and new people will move up the list. The list is ever changing so each year the top 5 might be a different bunch. At least if we are playing those 5 people we have the absolute best chance of winning.

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member
Not to mention Shane has the highest on either team what's his winning pct in cup play

Also with Oscar playing in so many events if he is on the uprise he will be in the top 5 of fargorate eventually anyway, when that happens he and sky would be shoe-ins, until then he should continue to push himself.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fargo doesn't matter in this case. By any measure, (Fargo, money won, points, etc) you could take the top 5 players in the US, for the next 5 years, and they wouldn't beat the top 15 of Europe. USA needs 10 year olds to start getting into the sport. Needs new blood. Will never have a chance otherwise.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The team needs to like each other first. We have too much infighting for there to be any cohesion. That needs to be fixed before a coach is selected, though I'm sure the coach has already been selected and will be announced next year.

JMS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seeing that the loser of the Mosconi Cup has a guarenteed $10k paycheck, is it too much to ask for the team to get together for at least 1 week before the Mosconi Cup starts in order to practice and bond?

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The team needs to like each other first. We have too much infighting for there to be any cohesion. That needs to be fixed before a coach is selected, though I'm sure the coach has already been selected and will be announced next year.

I know some guys don't get along with Dechaine, but the other four seem to be fine with each other

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member
If they went by top 5 Fargorate in the entire North American continent the team would have been SVB, Alex, Deschaine, Bergman, Morra

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Seeing that the loser of the Mosconi Cup has a guarenteed $10k paycheck, is it too much to ask for the team to get together for at least 1 week before the Mosconi Cup starts in order to practice and bond?

Well said. Also, a special tip of my hat to Rodney Morris for his attitude displayed. Loved it when he thanked the hostile audience for their input...:thumbup:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they went by top 5 Fargorate in the entire North American continent the team would have been SVB, Alex, Deschaine, Bergman, Morra

That still doesn't future proof it. After those 5, there is no one that can compete (unless we are talking about past their primes Archer/Morris/Earl, etc). In USA/Canada/Mexico, there is no interest in the game in the young 10 to 15 year olds. Fargorate does the best job of picking the players, I agree. But when you don't have the pool of players to choose from, it doesnt matter.

Rhea

Retired Road Player
Silver Member
That still doesn't future proof it. After those 5, there is no one that can compete (unless we are talking about past their primes Archer/Morris/Earl, etc). In USA/Canada/Mexico, there is no interest in the game in the young 10 to 15 year olds. Fargorate does the best job of picking the players, I agree. But when you don't have the pool of players to choose from, it doesnt matter.

Next person in line #6 on the North American continent is Rafael Martinez Chavez. We could keep going down the list.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've not yet commented on this year's Mosconi cup. Here, briefly, are my thoughts as well as my recommendation of Ozzy Reynolds--if he was willing to take it on-- for Captain.

choosing the team I think the USA did a fine job choosing a team, as did Europe.

the effort I think while Europe has an edge, the teams are not very far apart and thing could easily have gone the other way. This competition is a small amount of play, and large swings are expected.

Mark Wilson I like a lot about what Mark Wilson has done. He is a great example of some of the best our sport has to offer, and I am thankful for his hard work the last three years.

personalities I was at the crowded bar at midnight or so at the Tropicana last year after day-1 when European Captain Marcus walked up. Darren and one or two others from the European team were there engaged in animated conversation. Marcus gave a quiet nod to the players just giving the gentle "bed time"message. The conversations didn't even end. The players just excused themselves and left. I remember being impressed not just that he had that control, but that the relationship seemed comfortable and straightforward. That's hard to achieve with people who are accustomed to being asked for autographs...

this year's players I am proud of every one of them. And I thank them for putting their hearts into it and laying it on the line. There is no question in my mind that from a performance pressure perspective, the Mosconi Cup is the pinnacle.

this year's almost-made-the-team players I am proud of you as well. Thank you for your efforts. We got to sweat it all, and we are grateful for the drama and the sacrifices that might mirror our own small efforts in other areas of our lives--some of which work out and some of which don't. The world is a better place when any one of us can quote One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest: "But I tried, didn't I, God Dammit. At least I did that."

Ozzy Reynolds
  • General Manager of CSI
  • Billiards Congress of America Board Member
  • Solid player (Fargo Rating 688)
  • Management expertise: MBA from top university

I think Ozzy Reynolds is the point person for the future of pool in North America. There are very exciting things going on at CSI under his leadership. He is intelligent, level-headed, and well respected by top players.

His location in Las Vegas is a convenient one for group-building activity once the team is selected as well as for perhaps new and different events amongst the top contenders during the selection process.

I think Ozzy understands team efforts and is comfortable with collaboration under a quiet commanding presence.