What kind of chalk do you use?

GB Basher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My current preference is 'Great White' from Outsville.
Although when I need to order more I will get the non-magnetic version because I keep my chalk in my pocket whilst I'm playing and it sticks to my coins.

jb1911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My current preference is 'Great White' from Outsville.
Although when I need to order more I will get the non-magnetic version because I keep my chalk in my pocket whilst I'm playing and it sticks to my coins.

Where do you live that has steel coins?

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ask SVB about that, he just chalked up, and then miscued in a tourney not to long ago. And you can see he did NOT hit the table first, or do anything out of the ordinary. It was a very EASY shot.....with not much distance between cb and ob.

Actually, I see that in league way too often. SVB looked around like, "hey, I just chalked it", almost cost him the match. But hey, if he likes his Masters he can keep his Masters ;)

Could be his tip, yep, maybe. But the "good" stuff will work better on a crappy tip as well :thumbup:

Might want to try a Ki-tech tip now as well... friend got one, and it plays very nice. As good as any tip I've tried to date. Maybe SVB should get one too ;)

I have that DVR'ed. That was during ESPN finals vs. Albin Ouschan. Crucial moment too, if he would have missed that shot it might have cost him the title.
"if he likes his Masters he can keep his Masters" :lol: I chuckled at that line.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I have that DVR'ed. That was during ESPN finals vs. Albin Ouschan. Crucial moment too, if he would have missed that shot it might have cost him the title.
"if he likes his Masters he can keep his Masters" :lol: I chuckled at that line.

Yep, that was the match. I watched that in "glee" a little bit when it happened, but then thought, FUG, he's gonna lose. I"m glad he recovered though, horrible way to lose a match imho. Albin shoots well...but gotta root for our "home town" guy SVB ;)

Last edited:

THam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A local homeless man that might or might not be insane suggested I cut the tip so it's flat and start using mud instead of chalk.

Bluehammer

Registered
I did a little test yesterday. Chalked my kamui soft tip with masters and shot without re-chalking until I miscued. Hit a variety of shots medium strength until I miscued. I never did after 35 shots. I lost interest. I'll stick with masters. :thumbup:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I did a little test yesterday. Chalked my kamui soft tip with masters and shot without re-chalking until I miscued. Hit a variety of shots medium strength until I miscued. I never did after 35 shots. I lost interest. I'll stick with masters. :thumbup:
FYI, I've done careful sets of tests with all of the top chalk brands. For those interested in the results, they can be found in the quotes, video, and article here:

chalk comparison resource page

I also still continue to use Master chalk (although, I was impressed at how long Magic Chalk can remain effective on the tip when one doesn't chalk between shots).

Regards,
Dave

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Sure :rolleyes:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use Masters have never really tried anything besides those crappy silver cup we got for free. On my second box of masters chalk and I have no complaints. This might be a stupid question but what is preFlag Masters I keep seeing people here mention that over the last year and iv never been quite sure,

Did they change something they did in the past and the flag is a way to tell when they were made?
Pre-flag Master had a small but important amount of mercury in it. The mercury is what made it stay on better and also less dusty. EPA made them remove the mercury. I bought a gross of pre-flag here on AZ and its way better than the current stuff. Not quite as good as the Magic but darn good for what i paid for it.

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I develop a relationship with my chalk. When I find a brand I like, I enjoy working through the cube. Peeling a strip of the label off is like receiving a stripe on the sleeve of your dress uniform indicating you've put in the effort and time thus receiving rank.

Like the medals and ribbons on my former service uniform, I also have pride in these new ribbons of my service to the game.

right to left... 1. Sang Lee 2. Magic Chalk 3. Kamui 1.21

Post #2,000 for me. It's been quite the learning experience here at AZ through it all. Many thanks to all of you fine folks.

Last edited:

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Pre-flag Master had a small but important amount of mercury in it. The mercury is what made it stay on better and also less dusty. EPA made them remove the mercury. I bought a gross of pre-flag here on AZ and its way better than the current stuff. Not quite as good as the Magic but darn good for what i paid for it.

Feel free to contact Skip at Tweeten... He is on record repeatedly stating there have been no formula changes...... I have heard the lead rumor but mercury is a new twist....

It is understandable that some people would think lead was in Masters at one point as part of their colorants but even then it would never have been in Blue.

Lead was used to shade pastel colors... NTC had lead in their Green and Tangerine... If Tweeten had it it would have possibly been in their Green....

Iron Ferrocyanide is our oldest modern dye and dates back to 1867 and it has been used to create vivid blues ever since... There would be no need for mercury or lead to create blue chalk and both would be added expense over more common fillers with no benefits.....

Cornerman did an interview with Skip maybe 10 years ago and lead would have been long gone before the flag change so maybe he can chime in as he may have additional insights.....

CMarshall

D player at best
Silver Member
I'm a fan of Blue Diamond. Out of the three i've tried- Masters, Predator and Blue Diamond…It's the one I like the best.

Ask 25 people, you'll get 25 different answers.

Find the one YOU like!

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I'm a fan of Blue Diamond. Out of the three i've tried- Masters, Predator and Blue Diamond…It's the one I like the best.

Ask 25 people, you'll get 25 different answers.

Find the one YOU like!

Actually that has been the entire point for months now... RJ's Magic Chalk is a quality chalk and a premium grade just like Blue Diamond, Predator, Balabushka, our Great White and Kamui... Find what you like based on your own benchmarks... The ONLY premium chalk I even have an issue with is LAVA... pioneer and lava can be swapped out in a blind test with no one knowing... pumice is a great marketing hook but a really soft abrasive......

Just know what you are buying... I am starting to file complaints on imported tips and chalk over country of origin... ACTUAL country of origin is required to prevent consumers from being taken advantage of and being sold fakes and cheap offerings....

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Feel free to contact Skip at Tweeten... He is on record repeatedly stating there have been no formula changes...... I have heard the lead rumor but mercury is a new twist....

It is understandable that some people would think lead was in Masters at one point as part of their colorants but even then it would never have been in Blue.

Lead was used to shade pastel colors... NTC had lead in their Green and Tangerine... If Tweeten had it it would have possibly been in their Green....

Iron Ferrocyanide is our oldest modern dye and dates back to 1867 and it has been used to create vivid blues ever since... There would be no need for mercury or lead to create blue chalk and both would be added expense over more common fillers with no benefits.....

Cornerman did an interview with Skip maybe 10 years ago and lead would have been long gone before the flag change so maybe he can chime in as he may have additional insights.....
The mercury thing was told to me by Buddy Hall. Supposedly BobMeucci told him so granted it's probably just pool lore/old wives kinda thing. There IS some kind of difference in the two Master's. The older stuff is not near as dusty/powdery as the new.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I develop a relationship with my chalk. When I find a brand I like, I enjoy working through the cube. Peeling a strip of the label off is like receiving a stripe on the sleeve of your dress uniform indicating you've put in the effort and time thus receiving rank.

Like the medals and ribbons on my former service uniform, I also have pride in these new ribbons of my service to the game.

right to left... 1. Sang Lee 2. Magic Chalk 3. Kamui 1.21

Post #2,000 for me. It's been quite the learning experience here at AZ through it all. Many thanks to all of you fine folks.

Congrats on 2000. Good story on your chalk "usage". Maybe your nickname can be "Sgt. Chalk" ;) And no, you can't be promoted to "Master Sgt. Chalk" :p

After seeing your photos with all that "black" wrapped chalk, I know for sure I'm on the right path changing the color out to something nobody else has.....