Terrible customer service - OB Cues

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well, I'll give it a couple more years before I deal with new OB cues and shafts again.

Buy USA but not today.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Yeah the new shafts seem to have some "production issues" - I fear they aren't the same construction as they once were.

OB used to be awesome and it seems I purchased my cue at the turn of many changes.

The cue's balance/construction was unique - as well as the shaft's.

Right before I purchased my cue the construction changed. The website still advertised the old construction at the time (probably still does somewhere). I feel I was sold a bait and switch. None the less I loved the balance of the cue and purchased another more expensive model for myself and my GF only to have multiple issues with those - however as I stated OB made good on everything....

I guess my point is now it seems they are slowly morphing into common construction techniques that don't provide that extra special uniqueness to the build that probably save a ton of time but also deliver a mediocre everything.

The only thing that seems to have been retained is the balance... but otherwise these are not the same OB cues of even a few years ago - based on what information I can glean from the internet.

I've sinced moved on to other mistakes.... ::cough:: Meucci ::Cough:: :thumbup: I kid - meucci made everything good too...

I'm jaded that the industry as a whole sucks.

The positive thing I will say is that I had *great* customer service with OB and Meucci. They took care of me.

In August last year ( 2017 ) I ordered a totally custom cue that I designed head to toe from Meucci. I called them to order it and was handed off to Bob Meucci to discuss the particulars and the price. I spent @ 30 minutes on the phone with Bob and when we got off the phone, he had the entire thing. Weight, length, shaft size, joint, rings, wood, butt cap, forearm, sleeve, wrap, ferrule... even the tip. I was given the price, I accepted, paid by plastic when handed back to Barbara ( who was PHENOMENAL throughout! ) and I paid for it with my Mastercard. I was told 6 weeks. 8 weeks later I still did not have it. I wasn't happy. If you tell me something, especially if I've paid, deliver on it. 9 weeks, still no cue. Finally I got with Barbara and pinned them down on a date, a week away. Ok, how much more do you need to ship it USPS overnight? 20.00 more? No problem. They charged my card for it. A week later Barb called me. They sent it out that morning. Now I'm happy to at least know it's coming tomorrow.

Next day, USPS tracking tool shows it got to the PO in the town Meucci is in. Then, nothing... no updates of leaving, next stop next stop, next stop... nothing, Nada. Zippo.

Long story short ( er ), USPS lost it. A week later still no cue, USPS is "Investigating." I am PISSED. But,at who? Meucci sent it ( ok yeah, more than a month late, but... ). USPS lost it. I'm thinking, great... ANOTHER 10 weeks? I'ma just gonna cancel and get my money back and let Meucci deal with USPS. 8 days later, on a Saturday, I get a call from a superv at USPS. "Um, yeah, your package is out for deliv, be there within an hour." I'm like... srsly? You told me it was lost. Are we sure this is my package? He has no idea, just calling to say it's due in an hour. Ok. Great. Works for me.

Hour later, doorbell. USPS with my cue. I sign. I open. I am **NOT** happy. Ferrule is wrong. Rings are wrong. Butt circumference is wrong.

I call Meucci. Barbara is flabbergasted. Bob is at an industry show and won't be back for nearly a week. She wants him to talk to me to get the order correctly ( this time ). I am NOT happy. ( this is NOT a cheap cue. It's in the grand neighborhood. Not Bill Gates' neighborhood, but not cracktown either ) To their credit, Barb didn't argue, not one iota. She simply apologized profusely and said they would make the new one the instant Bob was back. @ a week later, he called me ( never apologized but... I didn't really care at that point ), I gave him the specs again, and he told me he was pushing it through as quickly as possible. It's now late November and I'm told with Xmas coming, it will take longer than normal for a "push-through". I'm not really happy with that but ok... is what it is. They said hang on to the first cue and send back once I get the corrected one. 2 weeks after New Years, I get it in the mail, sent overnight on Meucci's dime. This time it's right. Every detail. And they ended up giving me the first one for a STEEP discount. So in the end, after all of it, I was happy. Not over-joyed, mind you... but happy. Meucci's customer service was phenomenal. Had their production performance been half the level of their cust serv, there would've been no issues. But, yeah... s**t happens. But I got 2 gorgeous, custom cues for an excellent price.

Their customer service saved the day for them. Monumentally important.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
BTW...I've tried OB shafts on my cues and even purchased an OB cue from Seyberts; never understood the excitement. They were just...OK.[/SIZE]

My experience too. I've got a 30" OB Classic shaft from the days when Royce was still running things and it is in my case primarily as a back-up shaft.

Maniac

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thoughta bout buying me oneof dem high tech shafts but
I read an article kinda like the one on here and plum decided i wud rather believe deses xrurts than to try um

I always suspect the wurse frum people so when sum numshull reports that he kinda had a problem i figured to believe a rumor

my friend the prseident of tha company is real smart and he done told me that jerks that'write reports like tis are not to be given any credence

I don't have no credence

of couse i hurd the same complaints when Runde left schon and turned out Evan wuz just as good

then they gripped an said when Jerry died tat pool wuz no business fur a woman but even I gotta mit she done good and i lost out bynot buying

couse when gus died thet said same bad stuff nbout his kid and i wuz wrong then

i done saw an ugly revo shaft on az so i can't believe in them

i jess hope santa knows best cause i ain't never seen my friends ob az be right but i still luv a rumor
Dean
Typing that bad, even on purpose, makes you look kinda lame. Just sayin. Hope your wife gets you a camera for Xmas. With instructions. ;)

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I must be older than I think, but I remember (barely) wood golf shafts and persimmon driver heads. Don't see that around anymore... Seriously, with a few more cue makers in the market a $30 piece of carbon fiber tube is gonna cost a lot less than $400-$500.

This is exactly right. The costs will come down as more companies compete. This is the way the LD shaft market is going. There will probably always be some players who prefer solid maple shafts, but I think eventually wood LD shafts will be a thing of the past. If pool had more money in it as a sport, and the money for R&D was there this would have been the case years ago.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this a real post or are you just messing with us? If it is typing on the internet may not be for you :frown:

I read an article kinda like the one on here and plum decided i wud rather believe deses xrurts than to try um

I always suspect the wurse frum people so when sum numshull reports that he kinda had a problem i figured to believe a rumor

my friend the prseident of tha company is real smart and he done told me that jerks that'write reports like tis are not to be given any credence

I don't have no credence

of couse i hurd the same complaints when Runde left schon and turned out Evan wuz just as good

then they gripped an said when Jerry died tat pool wuz no business fur a woman but even I gotta mit she done good and i lost out bynot buying

i jess hope santa knows best cause i ain't never seen my friends ob az be right but i still luv a rumor
Dean

skankhammer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't have no credence

Dean
Surprised he’s waited this long to come to the rescue.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Is this a real post or are you just messing with us? If it is typing on the internet may not be for you :frown:

I believe this is the real Dean. I can't imagine him messing with us. Dean is as sober as a judge...

That said, "typing on the internet" may just not be for *anybody*. We'd probably all be better served getting out and taking a walk. Or reading a book. Or, playing pool...

Jus sayin'...

:yeah:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If their service has gone down hill people should know about it.

Do you know why you seldom see good custom cue makers or players on AZ

They think it is a forum fot idiots

The cue makers think the comments on here reflect ignorance for the most part

Seldom do we hear from players like Alex or Tony Or Scott or JJ direct
Efren. even SVB

I personally am sick of seeing anyone with a gripe try to destroy
the reputations of good solid Cue makers

These guys just get a typewriter or keyboard and start having fun

slandering working men

I have seen South West,Schon,Ob.Predator bad mouthed because some
guy with next to no reputation had a little problem that he magnifies

I guess it is almost understandable griping,but please don't try to
explain to me why anyone would listen to them

OB has spent years developing a great reputation with a huge following.
Its hard to doubt that so we see someone say that recently they are losing
quality control or some such manure

When jerry died they tried to say the Jerry era were great but look out from
here,well what fools they turned out to be.. south west have proven over and over
that they are the best more reliable people in the world

Schon lost runde,so the Runde era cues were said to be unbelieveable as opposed to the
Evan era.
So i asked Runde as a close friend,he said Evan was a genius and that no one in the world could prove that Runde or sharp pointed cues were better ,felt better,shoot better

No difference in play what so ever

So now that Evan left,it has become fashionable to say Schon ain't what they used to be.

When Barry lost his father and we lost Gus, everyone said he only got the business because he was named szamboti, who is talking now?
Idiots

Barry has surpassed his fathers abilities

Why do people like to kick a fella when he is down? or jump on a whiners bandwagon?

Look at Predator,research and development continues to make improvement.

A guy reports they have a history of putting shoddy equipment out and then improving.

Why not report that they have made great strides,and continue to make game improving
breakthroughs as time goes on?

There ought to be a law against bad mouthing a good mans reputation or a good company

Ob has done a lot for pool,what have these pundits done?

PS I know the people at OB and respect them,but I have never bought their cues
Why?

Because I am an old geezer stuck in my ways

I know better players then me who try to explain it to me

These guys have done more for pool than anyone i know of

It makes me sick to see them kicked by you guys

and make no bones about it,this thread is trying to kick,or put down the good guys

localredhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't have no credence

Dean

Take the troll out of your mouth and say that again? I have no idea what you were attempting to deliver there... was it irony? rhetorical rant? Whaaaaat?

localredhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

and make no bones about it,this thread is trying to kick,or put down the good guys

Hmm... ok. BBB scores exists, net promoter scores exist, reputations exist all for a reason. Tangible reasons being written in this thread.

I think it's dumb to tell everyone to turn the other cheek and ignore the rumors. I did this like you would have everyone do and got burned by having almost half of what I purchased actually uphold the rumors as factual evidence not hearsay. Imagine that. Coincidence still? I'd call it more a symptom at this point.

If you placed an order with a company for 3 butts and 4 shafts and one of the butts and 2 of the shafts were defective with visible issues - make no bones about it - you'd have solid evidence of QC/production issues that are not rumors.

I posted another thread on my experience with an meucci shaft that visibly should never have left the factory... Want to see? High def photos inside: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=477919 and I ignored the rumors about meucci's QC as a bunch of "internet whiners" as you'd probably say.

Yeah I'm just a dumb pool pleb. That's the problem - I think most of these companies make money on pleb's not understanding the lack of quality in the product they are being handed and they bank on the fact that they will just take it and never warranty it. This is the only conclusion I can come to with how obvious some of these things have been.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I don't think anyone here wants to rake OB over the coals out of spite. I for one am an owner of 2 shafts, a break shaft, and a jump cue. I like all of them. I want to see them succeed. If they are made aware of these service issues that are cropping up they can nip them in the bud. I've never understood the idea that you can't relate your personal experiences for the purpose of constructive criticism because of what they have "done for pool". I work in risk management. My job is to identify issues and clean them up. If I just said everything was awesome all the time it wouldn't be very helpful to my company.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you know why you seldom see good custom cue makers or players on AZ

They think it is a forum fot idiots

The cue makers think the comments on here reflect ignorance for the most part

Seldom do we hear from players like Alex or Tony Or Scott or JJ direct
Efren. even SVB

I personally am sick of seeing anyone with a gripe try to destroy
the reputations of good solid Cue makers

These guys just get a typewriter or keyboard and start having fun

slandering working men

I have seen South West,Schon,Ob.Predator bad mouthed because some
guy with next to no reputation had a little problem that he magnifies

I guess it is almost understandable griping,but please don't try to
explain to me why anyone would listen to them

OB has spent years developing a great reputation with a huge following.
Its hard to doubt that so we see someone say that recently they are losing
quality control or some such manure

When jerry died they tried to say the Jerry era were great but look out from
here,well what fools they turned out to be.. south west have proven over and over
that they are the best more reliable people in the world

Schon lost runde,so the Runde era cues were said to be unbelieveable as opposed to the
Evan era.
So i asked Runde as a close friend,he said Evan was a genius and that no one in the world could prove that Runde or sharp pointed cues were better ,felt better,shoot better

No difference in play what so ever

So now that Evan left,it has become fashionable to say Schon ain't what they used to be.

When Barry lost his father and we lost Gus, everyone said he only got the business because he was named szamboti, who is talking now?
Idiots

Barry has surpassed his fathers abilities

Why do people like to kick a fella when he is down? or jump on a whiners bandwagon?

Look at Predator,research and development continues to make improvement.

A guy reports they have a history of putting shoddy equipment out and then improving.

Why not report that they have made great strides,and continue to make game improving
breakthroughs as time goes on?

There ought to be a law against bad mouthing a good mans reputation or a good company

Ob has done a lot for pool,what have these pundits done?

PS I know the people at OB and respect them,but I have never bought their cues
Why?

Because I am an old geezer stuck in my ways

I know better players then me who try to explain it to me

These guys have done more for pool than anyone i know of

I went to them because I liked the last product I bought from them. I can’t speak to the quality of their new stuff, but their customer service is garbage in my opinion. Anytime I spend hundreds on something, I at least expect them to call me when they say they will.

clickhiker

Registered
Saw this post and have been following closely as I order a Blem cue at a great price from OB and was concerned after reading this thread. I called last Thursday and was told that they would have a better idea of when it would ship by today ( Tuesday). Today I received this memo from OB and wanted to share it.

My name is Shane Sinnott and I am the President of OB Cues. I am emailing you today regarding your order with us and to make sure that you are kept up to date as to where it stands.

We have experienced a significant increase in the number of orders received over the last couple of months and it has been something that we did not properly prepare for from both a production and a customer service standpoint. OB Cues has always been known for a very high standard of customer service, but over the last few months it has fallen well below where it should be. I take 100% responsibility for this. As President, I am responsible for making sure that everyone on the OB Team has the tools and the training that they need, so that they can do an awesome job and that has not been the case.

There have been significant delays in both production and also in communication with customers. This is changing and it is changing now.

I made a decision last week to hire a new Production manager and he started yesterday. His name is Jesse Garcia and he worked for OB Cues from 2005 to 2013 and is the absolute best person for the job. Jesse is fully immersed in production right now and is reviewing every process and every product on order. His goal is to provide me with accurate eta’s for every order by the end of the day on Friday. We will then start contacting every customer to give them an updated and accurate eta for their order starting Monday with the goal of reaching every customer next week.

I would like to apologize for any delay you have experienced and I would also like to thank you for being a fan of OB Cues. Yesterday was the beginning of a new chapter for our company and I can promise you that the quality of our products will improve, the wait times for any back ordered products will start to come down and the overall experience of dealing with our company will be better than it has ever been before (Including a new and easier to navigate website expected to go live in the next few weeks)!

I understand that you are excited to receive your order from us and I can assure you that we are doing everything in our power to get it to you as quickly as possible without sacrificing quality. All I ask is that you continue to be patient with us so that the next time you hear from us, we will be able to let you know when your order is shipping.

We will be in touch again soon.

Regards,
Shane Sinnott
President
www.obcues.com
Toll Free: 877.399.9901
International: 972.578.9100
Fax: 972.426.6980
Skype ID: shanesinnott
Please like our page on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/obcues

-------
I received exactly the same e mail about an order for a shaft placed on November 16, and they had no issue taking out the money from my CC on that date. Mine was a special order for a 3/8"x11 joint, and a Kamui tip, that was supposed to take four weeks to build. I wouldn't be so mad about the delay with more specifics, if they didn't have the gaul to hold the money. Especially when they dropped the price dramatically a week later for Black Friday! I still have not heard an expected delivery date, and am out $262.80, until OB gets off their butts. (If OB is going to be so slow, they should have offered me the Black Friday price at the very least, to mitigate the delay!) I've played with OB shafts for about ten years, own several, and like the smaller diameter of 11.75mm. If I ever get the current order, it will likely be my last purchase from them. The issues they are having sound more like cash flow problems, than "production"! Wonder why?