No one is perfect

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I try to stay out of the nasty sniping towards the best players in the world. I'm not going to change any opinions, and it's generally better to ignore those posts and not feed the fire. The problem with that is if only the snipers post then it can seem like that is the majority. And it sure gets fatiguing. So here it is:

No one is perfect.

These are the best players in the world. They are playing their heart out. And this is essentially the first round of a tournament since it just moved to single elimination. All of their years of practice and effort, and all of their triumphant play to get to this point, all of gone in a moment if they stumble even briefly. This is tremendous pressure, and it gets to everyone at times. SVB showed it. Alex showed it. And the majority of the other players showed it as well.

Generally we only get to watch the feature match, not all of the matches. Often the player that wobbled through the first round will settle in, and may catch a gear and play flawlessly from that point on. But here we get to see all of it. And the truth is that the best players in the world struggle with nerves and settling in just like everyone else, particularly when they know they have no margin of error.

But the same players that dog it today are the players that have come through in stunning fashion again and again throughout the years. SVB is a champion. Alex is a champion. Shaw is a total beast. As are Orcullo, JL Chang, and so many other monsters that didn't make it this far.

So I want to be on the record of showing serious respect to these players for the performances they've put on and the level of play they've obtained. If you agree, please say so! I'd love to see those of us with positive feedback drown out the negative critics that compare these legends to perfection and have the audacity to throw stones. Cheers to these pros from every country, and great job to Match Room for showing us the entire tournament so we can see the highs and lows that come on the road to greatness.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I try to stay out of the nasty sniping towards the best players in the world. I'm not going to change any opinions, and it's generally better to ignore those posts and not feed the fire. The problem with that is if only the snipers post then it can seem like that is the majority. And it sure gets fatiguing. So here it is:

No one is perfect.

These are the best players in the world. They are playing their heart out. And this is essentially the first round of a tournament since it just moved to single elimination. All of their years of practice and effort, and all of their triumphant play to get to this point, all of gone in a moment if they stumble even briefly. This is tremendous pressure, and it gets to everyone at times. SVB showed it. Alex showed it. And the majority of the other players showed it as well.

Generally we only get to watch the feature match, not all of the matches. Often the player that wobbled through the first round will settle in, and may catch a gear and play flawlessly from that point on. But here we get to see all of it. And the truth is that the best players in the world struggle with nerves and settling in just like everyone else, particularly when they know they have no margin of error.

But the same players that dog it today are the players that have come through in stunning fashion again and again throughout the years. SVB is a champion. Alex is a champion. Shaw is a total beast. As are Orcullo, JL Chang, and so many other monsters that didn't make it this far.

So I want to be on the record of showing serious respect to these players for the performances they've put on and the level of play they've obtained. If you agree, please say so! I'd love to see those of us with positive feedback drown out the negative critics that compare these legends to perfection and have the audacity to throw stones. Cheers to these pros from every country, and great job to Match Room for showing us the entire tournament so we can see the highs and lows that come on the road to greatness.

well said tm. stones get thrown where talent and success live..real players know that and keep it moving, but the truth is nobody benefits from mean-muggin a one-way mirror.

most of my faves have fallen thus far in the 2019 uso, but my opinion about them hasn't changed with a mark in the loss column because I know win or lose they're going to get back up for the next one...

much respect to everybody who stepped in the box.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great post.
I'll have to admit, that when I heard that Matchroom decided to make the final 16 single elimination, I understood it would make for some gripping nail biting pool and a streamlined final leg to the US Open...and we would get to see all the final matches...
However, selfishly, I knew we were going to get less pool and it was going to be cruel to certain players.

Take Jayson and Shane for example...playing killer pool, monster caliber...then one loss and they are out. While Wu and Filler both lost early, and get that chance to regroup and focus and forge ahead.

I for one would like to see how Jayson and Shane would've reacted in the one loss bracket with the old format...because US Open tournament play was a struggle, huge highs, huge lows, with mini shots at redemption because only the game is perfect and these players are not.

That being said, the unbelievable field of talent that showed up and paid the $1,000 entry fee, and Matchroom for setting up 30+ tables in a major US city was breathtaking for any serious pool fan.

My heart goes out to these players because I know how much work these guys put into reaching this level and to perform under the lights and in front of the international camera's lens is an amazing feat into itself.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member

No one is perfect.

Well said and I agree.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well said Tin Man. A lot of people want to dog a player if he loses or say bad things about them just because they aren’t their favorite player. All of those players have worked hard to get where they are. Just because a player loses one set doesn’t mean they choked. Their opponents are world class players and can beat anyone on any given day.

Anybody who finished in the top 50 of this killer field has my utmost respect. Whoever wins it is going to earn it.

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pressure has to be pretty crazy. These guys are so competitive and want to win so bad, and they know at this level one false move and the other guy can just run away from you. Plus the added pressure for Shane of being the only american left in the US open, knowing that everybody watching is hanging on every shot. Got to be a bit overwhelming.

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have massive respect for all of these players, win or lose. They’ve all put in countless hours—years of practice and competition to get to where they are now, and that’s no small feat. They’ve experienced the highs and lows of trying to live playing pool professionally and they’ve come through the hard times, losses both on the table and off, sacrificed relationships, etc. and came out the other end of all that a stronger competitor.

It’s a shame so many of these guys who have worked so hard to get to the level they’re at have to struggle like they do to get by playing this game.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
"I for one would like to see how Jayson and Shane would've reacted in the one loss bracket with the old format...because US Open tournament play was a struggle, huge highs, huge lows, with mini shots at redemption because only the game is perfect and these players are not."

YES! YES! YES!
That's why this format is not fair.
Shaw and Shane lose one match and go home.
Filler and Wu lose one match and continue to play.
Double elimination with an extended race finals really shows who is the champion.
The US Open 9-Ball format has been degraded by Matchroom.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great post Tin Man. This is a great event with tremendous amount of pressure and at the end the audience, the best players, the game and everybody who loves this sport will win.
Does not make a mistake the one who does nothing...

JL in ATL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"I for one would like to see how Jayson and Shane would've reacted in the one loss bracket with the old format...because US Open tournament play was a struggle, huge highs, huge lows, with mini shots at redemption because only the game is perfect and these players are not."

YES! YES! YES!
Double elimination with an extended race finals really shows who is the champion.

I couldn't agree more!

John

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is shaping up to be an exciting conclusion, and I for one am finding out the great many

talented players coming from the east. I knew about them, but definitely do not get enough

screen time with them. So as my some of my PoolCueHeros go down, I can at least see

the quality the rest of the world is putting forth and have hope in the future of Billiards,

maybe not an american revival, but it is doing just find on the worldly stage. And I am

pleasantly surprised by it. Hats off to all the players who made it to the 16, and the fire

that is stoked in them to be #1 next year...

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member

YES! YES! YES!

think of it as double elimination being just another form of the group stage? I know u are just critical of the format but from the looks of it the tournament so far has been pretty exciting

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
think of it as double elimination being just another form of the group stage? I know u are just critical of the format but from the looks of it the tournament so far has been pretty exciting

To you, myself, and everyone else here, pool will be exciting no matter what. Single elimination from the start (world pool masters)....group stages then into single elimination (world championship)...round robin (accu stat invitational)....

Any format will become intense.

Yet, I can understand why Matchroom made the format switch...it creates good TV, puts the pressure on.
But US Open to me was always the ultimate test in double elimination winner breaks 9 ball.

To tell you the truth, I had just as much fun watching JL Chang win the US International Open which carried the original double elimination format.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also agree about the format. It's Matchroom's show, though, so I give them respect and leave them in the driver's seat. I am sitting back and really enjoying the show. I cannot remember when I have had this much fun as a virtual railbird.

My heart does go out to Shane and Jayson, though, never having the opportunity to lose a match, as the others.

The first time I encountered this was at a Spring Open Tournament at Q-Masters with Keith. He stayed in the winner's bracket the entire tournament. The last match was an extended race to 13. Michael Coltrain won the tournament in the finals, and Keith never got a chance to lose a match. I was green about pro pool back then, and I remember not liking it one bit.

It only hurt a little bit, though, because after the event, Keith spanked Sam Monday for 3 or 4 large. The whole joint was betting on Sam because Keith was spotting him 2 balls, if memory serves me right, but Keith pulled it off at 3 a.m. in the morning. We went home with more money in our pockets than the winner of the tournament because he was backing Sam along with others. :D

In the bathroom, after the dust settled, Keith gave Sam Monday a jelly roll for giving him action. I didn't like that either, but now that I've been around pool for a while, action and pro tournaments, I get it. It's good etiquette. :cool:

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I support the format!

Reason it is best is a financial reason! Switching to single elimination cuts off an extra day of expenses!

From a financial point of view and the number of players considered! It was a wise decision!

I have my own personal viewpoints about some other things that I have mentioned before. But, this did not help or hurt anyone involved and they were all equally eligible to receive the benefits and the risk of the format.

Kd

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
UGreat post by Tin Man! He really expresses well what it's like to compete at this level of Pool.

As for me I have zero complaints (okay maybe one) about what and how Matchroom has done to create this event and how it is being staged. I'm here and it is First Class all the way. Hats off to Sir Barry Hearn and his entire crew.

I like the added pressure and excitrment of single elimination at the end. I just watched an incredible match last night between Chang Yu Lung and Lui Haitao. Liu led 9-3 and Chang came back to win 11-10. That match had everything! I'm so glad it was on TV and streamed. All good for our sport imo.

P.S. Spoke with Pat Fleming afterwards and he totally agreed with me.

PPS. We all know Shane and Wu could have been a Final of any major, but that can happen in any sport where two champions face off before the final. Again, I'm glad it made the worldwide TV coverage. It was a brilliantly played match by two pool giants! It came down to a missed 9-Ball at the end by Shane, when he still had a chance to win.

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I support the format!

Reason it is best is a financial reason! Switching to single elimination cuts off an extra day of expenses!

From a financial point of view and the number of players considered! It was a wise decision!

I have my own personal viewpoints about some other things that I have mentioned before. But, this did not help or hurt anyone involved and they were all equally eligible to receive the benefits and the risk of the format.

Kd

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

This is a good point. Financially it makes sense.
Could a tournament ever go in reverse?
Single elimination into the round of 16, then double elimination?