IMG_4824.JPG

Pool players use chalk....

IMG_4825.JPG

BOTH ARE SPORTS

:grin:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
There are some major league pitchers that are not "athletic" types, over weight, can't run at all, and probably can't do 5 pushups, but they have a golden arm. Does this mean its' not a sport for them, but everyone else?

There are far more baseball players that are in top shape and super athletic than those that aren't

Just as there are for more pool player's that aren't in shape or athletic in any way compared to the number of players that are

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
More and more top players are taking longer and longer to shoot. Each shot has become a game in it self. Have you looked at the fans in the seat at Accu-Stats, Turnigstone, U.S Open 9 ball, Allen Hopkins Expo...and many others. They are the same old guys every year. You have to have a sense of urgency to the game...like a shot clock. Johnnyt

True, but some of you are not understanding the bigger picture. The slow games we play are not the problem.

The key to television success and subsequently gaining mass market appeal is TOP QUALITY PRODUCTION and creating a series of events that actually lead to something like a championship title, not just a stand-alone event like the u.s. open or turning stone.

Golf is boring.
Driving a semi truck is boring.
Spending a month at sea catching crabs is boring.
Sifting dirt all day looking for gold is boring.

But all of four of these activities are successfully filmed and produced for television and have done very well.

But how? How can boring stuff be made to grab attention?

Because the producers take the time to tell you the whole back-story of the characters involved. They explain what it took for these people to get where they are, and all they've had to endure.

The scene or camera angle changes every few seconds, they throw in historical facts and stats constantly, they delve into personal feelings and conflicts.

By the time the program is half way over, you have been given the opportunity to learn about who these people are and not just what the score is.

In most cases , the watchers of these productions find out that they " like" certain characters and dislike others which creates an emotional investment. The viewer wants to see his favorite win and his least favorite get beat. It's human nature.

Placing any two players in front of a camera and live streaming it with no info about them is practically pointless. I might as well just walk into a poolroom and watch two random people play.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
There are far more baseball players that are in top shape and super athletic than those that aren't

Just as there are for more pool player's that aren't in shape or athletic in any way compared to the number of players that are

So, therefore, it matters how many are in shape and how many are not. There are football players that I can outrun in a 50 or 100 yard dash, I'm over 50 with a bad knee. Now what?

It's a cue sport. Curling is in the Olympics, and it's rolling a rock on ice ?? But it's a sport. It's not my cup of tea, and I'm pretty sure I could NOT beat any of them in a match, but they are still Olympic athletes. The world is full with diff athletes.

Baseball compared to soccer is a whole diff world. Football to badminton is a big difference. Ping Pong to weightlifters.

Athletes come in all different sizes and skills set.

Pool has never been the same as yatzee or monopoly or even chess.