USA vs. England, MC warmup

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OH sorry my bad. I thought Marek usually knew what he was talking about and I enjoy his posts. He said "Europe's F Team" not 'England's F Team'. Yes then the analogy makes a little more sense.
Really? You think there are 25 European players currently better than Chris Melling?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish more USA fans to be more optimistic about their team and everything is done to become a better team and give a fight. As an european of course I will root for Europe on Mosconi cup but I honestly wish USA team all the best and to perform their best as a team because that is what makes this cup a great show for the audience and that is the best for the game at the end.
PS. I also wish the stream does not drop down in Mosconi cup group on FB during actual event as it happened sometimes yesterday. On the times the was no such problems with the stream ...the picture and commentating were great though.

Well, I'm rooting for Team USA at the Cup. Win or lose, I enjoy the competition.

When the Europeans and Americans taunt each other online, it is sometimes fun, as long as it doesn't get ugly. :eek:

Everything Matchroom Multisport touches seems to turn to gold. I am really looking forward to seeing the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship. Barry Hearn knows how to put on a sports event. :lovies:

If Matchroom and Barry can bring pool to a new level in USA, we may see some new entrants into the sport/game. As it stands now, there's not a lot of new blood entering the professional pool arena in America. I hope this changes, and I hope I live long enough to see it. :)

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really? You think there are 25 European players currently better than Chris Melling?

There don't need to be 25 players better than Melling to call that the 6th best European team. There can be 25 players that make up 5 teams that are better than that Team England, and I think there probably are.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what was the outcome of this? I was at work and only saw 1 rack of melling vs Thorpe.

Btw where where they playing? It looked like a small airport hanger.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As it stands now, there's not a lot of new blood entering the professional pool arena in America. I hope this changes, and I hope I live long enough to see it. :)

Remember that Tyler, Billy, and Skyler are all in their early to mid-twenties. We also have the Atlantic Challenge going on right now with our young-uns like April Larson and Michelle Jiang. And with Mark Wilson's program and now his renewal of a collegiate billiards league in the midwest, maybe there's reason for optimism.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Remember that Tyler, Billy, and Skyler are all in their early to mid-twenties. We also have the Atlantic Challenge going on right now with our young-uns like April Larson and Michelle Jiang. And with Mark Wilson's program and now his renewal of a collegiate billiards league in the midwest, maybe there's reason for optimism.
If Jeremy Jones is anywhere near as good a coach/instructor as he is a commentator, this could be another reason why this year's US team may be capable of being very competitive in this year's MC. I know Jeremy has been on the Mosconi Cup team as a player numerous times, but has he been an assistant coach for the team in recent years?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think it's encouraging that Team USA mounted a comeback and pulled this match out. That took heart, lots of it! As far as I'm concerned this will be a big morale booster for them next week. Anyone who thinks this was a weak England side they are dead wrong. Appleton is a HOF'er! Melling is currently one of the top twenty players in the world imo. Karl Boyes has won world championships and Mark Gray has been on winning MC teams. Imran may be the weaker player of the bunch, but he is a seasoned veteran on the pro circuit and has been a contender in major events.

True, they would be a B Team to Team Europe this year, with all the great young talent they have, but a B team in Europe is still mighty strong. I only was able to watch the first few matches and was particularly impressed with Tyler. He seemed poised and confident and not affected by the pressure. If Shane! Skyler and Billy can play up to their potential, it could become a shoot out.

I look forward to a good MC this year, better than in previous years. I think something like an 11-7 or 11-8 result is likely and that would be a good showing, considering what we've seen the last few years. A "Miracle on ice" is also possible, but highly unlikely. I made USA a 10-1 underdog to win in the Action Room, but I will revise that to 6 or 7-1 now. Long shots do come in from time to time as you know. Here's hoping!

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's encouraging that Team USA mounted a comeback and pulled this match out. That took heart, lots of it! As far as I'm concerned this will be a big morale booster for them next week. Anyone who thinks this was a weak England side they are dead wrong. Appleton is a HOF'er! Melling is currently one of the top twenty players in the world imo. Karl Boyes has won world championships and Mark Gray has been on winning MC teams. Imran may be the weaker player of the bunch, but he is a seasoned veteran on the pro circuit and has been a contender in major events.

True, they would be a B Team to Team Europe this year, with all the great young talent they have, but a B team in Europe is still mighty strong. I only was able to watch the first few matches and was particularly impressed with Tyler. He seemed poised and confident and not affected by the pressure. If Shane! Skyler and Billy can play up to their potential, it could become a shoot out.

I look forward to a good MC this year, better than in previous years. I think something like an 11-7 or 11-8 result is likely and that would be a good showing, considering what we've seen the last few years. A "Miracle on ice" is also possible, but highly unlikely. I made USA a 10-1 underdog to win in the Action Room, but I will revise that to 6 or 7-1 now. Long shots do come in from time to time as you know. Here's hoping!

The team England put out was (including the captain) the finest our little country has ever seen (I fully appreciate the same can not be said about yours, but at least you've discovered a new star), sadly however (from our point of view) they were well below their peak. If Appleton and Boyes had been in form then it would have ended early, as it turned out the better team won on the day. Whilst England had the better of the first session, USA were far more focused in the second. I still think if the captain's picks at the end were the other way round it would have gone the other way, SVB would still have beaten Mark Gray (who had a bad night with the break), but I would have backed Melling against Skyler.

As I say though, 7-6 was a fair result and despite all the pessimism on here actually sets the US up nicely for next week. The European team is strong on paper, but light on experience and Johan has finally got the US playing as a team (I think).

Obviously I hope Europe wins :) but in reality I just hope we have a really close contest and see some excellent pool. If half of what the Matchroom lady was saying is true then big things are going to happen for 9-Ball soon, so finally everything is looking up.

I have a sneaky feeling it will be a lot closer this year and if the US wins one it could easily start off a new trend the other way, may the best team win!

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just by watching yesterdays event I think it is hard to tell if team USA is ready for the MC. Some players just arrived in Europe and they might be able to step up their game one or two levels.
And they will have to do that, because otherwise we will see the same result as last year.
Team England might look strong because of the player`s names, but actually it is like marek said, atm they are like an European F team.
Imran Majid is #40 in the European ranking, Appleton and Boyes haven`t really been playing much for quite some time and Mark Gray is just finding his game again, as he also hasn`t done well in the last season.
Melling is MC material for sure, but he was the only one who is on the level of this years European Team.

From an US point of view Styer is a glimmer of hope, because he really played strong yesterday and I think he is really hungry for next weeks MC...something Shane was again missing yesterday. Shane could still beat anybody although he is just on 70%, but in some moments I had the feeling, that he again wasn`t really enjoying himself.
Woodward did what he had to do, and I wonder, if this year is the year, where he could step out of Shane`s shadow and take a leading role. He certainly has the potential especially if he has a good start in this years cup.
In my eyes Thorpe an Deuel are the weak points in team USA. I think especially Deuel for some reason puts a lot of pressure on himself and I fear he might crumble in the big arena.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not sure what all it means other then some confidence from coming from behind. Skyler playing relaxed at that pool hall and doing so under the lights and crowd of the mosconi cup our two different things.

It’s always pretty simple guys.. When the Americans have an out .. one that the normally run out in any pro event .... they seem to be 50/50. When Europe has an out they run it straight down our throat.
If they Europeans make a mistake again we seem to be 50/50 taking advantage of it. When we make a mistake they run it straight down our throat.

The match yesterday when the Americans had an out we ran out. If we do that we can beat anyone . Can we get over the hump and do it when it matters under the big lights of the mosconi cup is the question.

GB Basher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was at the match yesterday, and was quite impressed with some of the US players.
The best chance the US have to win the MC is to send their strongest team.
Obviously this is NOT their strongest. But that's a different conversation.

Sky has a good attitude and nice paceand will cope well at the Ally Pally. Last year was not good for him, he had other stuff going on in his life which imo slightly distracted him.

Tyler was quite impressive. Technically he was pretty good also. He struggled potting balls cleanly, and would struggle on a table with tighter pockets (but I've heard that this year the pockets at the MC won't be tight)

Shane was Shane

Billy was below par, I don't know why.

Corey, imo is the weak link. Yes on his day he can be world class. But too often can also be mediocre

Yes the US had spirit and did a good fight back.

But reality is England team was Chris and Mark. They were involved in all the England points.
A massive factor in England losing.was fatique and they ran out of steam.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Even if you did need an account it’s not hard to make a fake one.

I swear some people complain about the dumbest things.

Some people don't want that commie spyware on their computer. If installing the app is not required, more people are able to watch.

I swear some people post about things they don't understand.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people don't want that commie spyware on their computer. If installing the app is not required, more people are able to watch.

You should probably learn what spyware is before accusing someone about not understanding something :)

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just by watching yesterdays event I think it is hard to tell if team USA is ready for the MC. Some players just arrived in Europe and they might be able to step up their game one or two levels.
And they will have to do that, because otherwise we will see the same result as last year.
Team England might look strong because of the player`s names, but actually it is like marek said, atm they are like an European F team.
Imran Majid is #40 in the European ranking, Appleton and Boyes haven`t really been playing much for quite some time and Mark Gray is just finding his game again, as he also hasn`t done well in the last season.
Melling is MC material for sure, but he was the only one who is on the level of this years European Team.

From an US point of view Styer is a glimmer of hope, because he really played strong yesterday and I think he is really hungry for next weeks MC...something Shane was again missing yesterday. Shane could still beat anybody although he is just on 70%, but in some moments I had the feeling, that he again wasn`t really enjoying himself.
Woodward did what he had to do, and I wonder, if this year is the year, where he could step out of Shane`s shadow and take a leading role. He certainly has the potential especially if he has a good start in this years cup.
In my eyes Thorpe an Deuel are the weak points in team USA. I think especially Deuel for some reason puts a lot of pressure on himself and I fear he might crumble in the big arena.

i agree with your assessment completely, sky is top dog imo and deuel weak link. but jet lag played a big part in the warm up event so it's hard to make out their speed exactly. despite that i think they showed more team spirit and commitment than the last two mosconi cups combined, and that speaks volumes

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, crap.

It took me too long to get off farcebook...I'm not chancing having it undo what I've done simply by going there.

Oh well, another pool event not seen. :frown:

Jeff Livingston

sky sports has a week pass for a few dollars. should work? if not, VPN + sky sports..

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That is the most ridiculous, clueless comment I have read all week. Thanks for the laugh. And yes, I work in cybersecurity.

Last edited:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
That is the most ridiculous, clueless comment I have read all week. Thanks for the laugh. And yes, I work in cybersecurity.

Can you explain how f/b got my birthdate when I never gave it to them? I had 45 happy birthdays when I signed on that day. I tried to quit it that day. You can't quit it in a day. Right there should tell us something about it.

I didn't want my birthdate out there and now it is. How can I trust such a system (not to mention they sleep with the govt now and are doing its dirty work) when it seems no one has a clue as to how much and what info they have and who gets that?

When the doctors ask for my birthdate, I now tell them to go to facistbook...it's right there for anyone to know.

Jeff Livingston

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Props to Matchroom for giving the team a good test right before the big show. Smart.

Agreed. This was a good warmup. Matchroom has done its part to help the US prepare. Now they'll have to do it against a much stronger team. Time to bring their best. The Mosconi Cup is so close you can taste it!