Will Stan's book be the "end all"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I keep reading threads about Cue Makers that keep promising to finish a person's cue, and it will be in the mail on Monday...that's how I am starting to view this book release LOL. If it does come out anytime in the next year, I will buy it and see what it has to offer, it is quite apparent that Stan has a breadth of knowledge so it should be interesting.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I keep reading threads about Cue Makers that keep promising to finish a person's cue, and it will be in the mail on Monday...that's how I am starting to view this book release LOL.

There's a big difference. Many cuemakers flat out have bad work habits, complete lack of focus, the inability to prioritize, and stick to effective time management. There's no boss or supervisor riding herd on them to monitor their progress so they do what gives them the most pleasure. It might even be golf or fishing.

You don't know Stan like I do. His nose is always to the grindstone and he's like an FBI agent focused on capturing one of the 10 most wanted and won't stop until it's done.

If you send a cue back to a cuemaker you have a vested interest in the cue and want it fixed as soon as possible to play with it. You should get pissed if it keeps dragging on.

Nobody has a vested interest in this book. There's no up front money to reserve one.
If Stan wants to pull the plug at any time he could because it's HIS prerogative and owes nothing to anyone.

There is an update in this thread showing where it currently stands.

If it does come out anytime in the next year, I will buy it and see what it has to offer, it is quite apparent that Stan has a breadth of knowledge so it should be interesting.

It's not about what the book has too offer. It's what you have to offer yourself in the way of learning something new and working at it.

It won't come through osmosis. Didn't for me or anyone else who got good with the system and uses it. So here's the question: Are you willing to put in the time and effort at the table to learn and work at it like a beginner?

If the answer is "NO", don't buy it. Seriously, I'm only trying to help you save money, time, and angst.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

There's a big difference. Many cuemakers flat out have bad work habits, complete lack of focus, the inability to prioritize, and stick to effective time management. There's no boss or supervisor riding herd on them to monitor their progress so they do what gives them the most pleasure. It might even be golf or fishing.

Good point. Was at a BCA tournament a few years back and introduced a friend to Richard Harris (Bluegrass Cues). Richard was playing in the tournament. My buddy had been drinking quite a bit, and he asked Richard about ordering a cue. Richard told him he was so backordered that there was a 3 to 5 year waiting period. My buddy then said, with a little chuckle, "Seems like a man that far behind should be home whittling on a piece of wood instead of here play'n pool." Richard laughed and said, "You're probably right."

JC

Coos Cues
I have looked at CTE enough to know that I"m not interested in it. That doesn't mean it doesn't work. It just means I'm not willing to take the time to understand it. A 600 fargo player like myself has way too many other impediments to work on than aiming.

If however it was the best thing going, all or at the very least most of the top pros would be using it. That's just simple logic. They are not though so it's pretty certain it's not the best thing going. It's just a thing. A thing some very stubborn people just love to argue about.

JC

canwin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you listened to the man try to explain his thought process

Can you argue that point? Takes forever to say what hes trying to say, gets lost on the way ..never gets there..list goes on and on. A clear sign to me.
I never down a man for trying tho.. to big a deal made out of something he picked up from somebody else.. trying to refine it and it shows huge gaps. Pass this small review on. Canwin

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member

Can you argue that point? Takes forever to say what hes trying to say, gets lost on the way ..never gets there..list goes on and on. A clear sign to me.
I never down a man for trying tho.. to big a deal made out of something he picked up from somebody else.. trying to refine it and it shows huge gaps. Pass this small review on. Canwin

These two negative posts are the first ones you've made since 2015. Yep, you're a real good consistent contributor.

Anything highlighting your pool playing life for the benefit of others you'd like to point out?

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I have looked at CTE enough to know that I"m not interested in it. That doesn't mean it doesn't work. It just means I'm not willing to take the time to understand it. A 600 fargo player like myself has way too many other impediments to work on than aiming.

JC

Nobody was going to twist your arm or attempt recruiting you. Your decision for yourself is the best.

Adios.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Explain the huge gaps. Betting you can't

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If however it was the best thing going, all or at the very least most of the top pros would be using it. That's just simple logic. They are not though so it's pretty certain it's not the best thing going. It's just a thing. A thing some very stubborn people just love to argue about.
JC
Billy Thorpe, Brandon Shuff, Mary Kenniston, Steven Moore, make good recommendations for the method. Good references, in my opinion.
My money is on a lot more coming............(many more will confess that's what they've been doing for years, but didn't know it).
I think your decision to not take time in understanding it is a good decision for you.
Good wishes to you in whatever you choose.
:thumbup:

Mirza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billy Thorpe, Brandon Shuff, Mary Kenniston, Steven Moore, make good recommendations for the method. Good references, in my opinion.
My money is on a lot more coming............(many more will confess that's what they've been doing for years, but didn't know it).
I think your decision to not take time in understanding it is a good decision for you.
Good wishes to you in whatever you choose.
:thumbup:

Billy Thorpe uses CTE?

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I asked Stan, its actually Bill Thorpe, Billys dad, who is Stans friend.

Lets not forget another son who uses it. I can't think of his last name right now but his first name is Landon. He's one hell of a tough player. I wonder who taught him?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Billy Thorpe uses CTE?

According to Stan, all pro players that sweep into their shots are using CTE ....they just don't know it. I don't suppose lower level players that sweep their cues into the shot are using CTE though -- they are just moving naturally into the shot.

If you watch John Barton's interview with Brandon Shuff.....he has good comments about CTE and about Stan, but he admits he doesn't use CTE all the time. (https://youtu.be/kbKmpmsT3bw) He says when he feels off he'll use the system and it gets him back on track.

Brandon is a great player, has been for years, just like Stevie Moore and Stan. These guys had great years of pool accomplishments before having any knowledge of CTE. But that doesn't mean CTE isn't a great system, only that it's a bit misleading to credit CTE for Brandon's or Stevie's skill level.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
But that doesn't mean CTE isn't a great system, only that it's a bit misleading to credit CTE for Brandon's or Stevie's skill level.

Of course Stevie had a high skill level as a pro player. Stevie has also stated that he was inconsistent. (as far as pro players go) And also stated how CTE made him much more consistent as well as boosted his level of play from where he was. It also helped his banking skills immensely.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
hey guys
Mosconi ran over 500 balls without cte
if cte makes you run more balls
GREAT :thumbup:
stans book will help you understand his way (developed from hal )
how to pocket more balls
thank you stan
different strokes for different strokes
but any system that helps pool players get better
should be applauded....jmho

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to Stan, all pro players that sweep into their shots are using CTE ....they just don't know it. I don't suppose lower level players that sweep their cues into the shot are using CTE though -- they are just moving naturally into the shot.

If you watch John Barton's interview with Brandon Shuff.....he has good comments about CTE and about Stan, but he admits he doesn't use CTE all the time. (https://youtu.be/kbKmpmsT3bw) He says when he feels off he'll use the system and it gets him back on track.

Brandon is a great player, has been for years, just like Stevie Moore and Stan. These guys had great years of pool accomplishments before having any knowledge of CTE. But that doesn't mean CTE isn't a great system, only that it's a bit misleading to credit CTE for Brandon's or Stevie's skill level.

And Brandon is telling a different story these days as he has gotten more used to CTE. That interview was done very early on in his CTE learning.

PS But Brian, you just can't help yourself, throwing little digs out when you can.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

And of course Brian Parks won the US Amateur without CTE, but then 3 more times using it. Guess it does help.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't help wondering when and if POOLOLGY will produce a champion player. And wonder if said player would credit the system since it only gets you close and the originator of the system doesn't even use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.