Do any LD shafts hit like normal shafts?

hustler4483

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Josey coming your way has a crisp solid hit with very little deflection, too stiff for me, you will appreciate it my friend

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Second that, I also like OB1- but it has soft hit.
OB classic is really stiff and deflected a lot to the point I could not play with it, dont know why

I don't know why either...there is no shaft OB makes that doesn't have quite a bit less squirt than the Jacoby Edge Hybrid. Feel, well that's a different story. The Jacoby feels great. I like the solid hit of the OB Classic shafts too)

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've tried a LOT of LD shafts over the years. I have come to learn that there is pretty much a balance between "solid hit" and "low squirt". In general, the more you have of one, the less of the other. I currently have an OB Classic and a 314-2 Predator, and just recently received a SS360 from Bob Danielson. He makes shafts to order. Mine has a 0.500" ferrule and is 12.5 mm. I imagine that one could get much less deflection if they went with 11.75mm and a shorter ferrule.

Here is my impression of the *solidness* of the hit for the ones I've tried: (top is best)

Standard maple (a good quality one)
SS360-Jacoby Edge-Mezz WD700
OB Classic pro
OB Classic
Tiger (not sure the model but whatever their lowest squirt 11.75mm one is)
Predator 314-2
Predator Z2
OB1

So what I mean is that the SS360, Jacoby, and Mezz all have the most solid feel of the LD shafts.

Not surprisingly, here is my impression of which ones have the least squirt (least on top):
Predator Z2 (by a LOT)
Predator 314-2
OB Classic Pro
OB1
OB Classic
Tiger, SS360, Jacoby, Mezz (they are all in the same ballpark for squirt...and all have a fair amount more squirt than the OB's and Predators)

So my conclusion is this: If you have played with a standard shaft for a long time and you want a bit less squirt, but with a very solid feel, I'd probably check out the SS360, Jacoby, Mezz, and Tiger (in that order). I really like the customization ability of Bob Danielson, and he seems like a great guy. The SS360 is a high quality product, and really seems to spin the hell out of the cueball. I also really like the Jacoby guys, they seem really cool. The shaft is very nice and hits solid. My guess is that the BD SS360 in a 12mm size might have the least squirt of this bunch. The Mezz WD700 seems like a very high quality shaft, but only barely what I would call "low squirt". The Tiger has lower squirt than the Mezz, but certainly not much lower than the SS360 or the Jacoby. I just don't like how Tiger claims to have the *lowest* squirt when this is obviously not the case. I believe you should sell your product based on what it does, not on what you wish it would do.

If you want a solid hit but very low squirt, try the OB Classic Pro. If you don't mind 11.75mm, this shaft hits VERY solid and has super low squirt. I will say that my experience with OB shafts is that they play WAY WAY better with a Kamui tip than with the standard Everest. I like a black soft on mine...If you can't deal with 11.75mm, the Classic hits great, but has noticeably more squirt than the Classic Pro (now just called the "Pro").

If you really need the lowest possible squirt, there is absolutely no question that the Predator Z2 has the least. I also think it has the least feel. The 314-2 is not too bad. Very low squirt, but not nearly the feel of the OB.

Hope this helps...it seems like you are exactly where I was when the first Predator shafts came out. I tried them, and hated the hollow hit. After several years though, I finally realized that I liked the way I *played* with them, so I converted and never looked back.

KMRUNOUT

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't tried any LD shaft except for predators and I don't like them because of the hollow hit. I was wondering if there are any LD shafts out there that hit solid like a normal shaft and if so how do they deflect compared to predators? Thanks in advance.

the WD700 hits like a solid maple shaft but with lower deflections. that's the only one that i can think of that does though

Hircine

Larry Byrd
Silver Member
McDermott i-shafts, I have an i3, they are traditional shafts with a carbon fiber core, no laminating.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Mike Gullassey makes shafts in several tapers. His lowest deflection shaft, I can assure you, is very solid hitting.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Lambros's new joint design has regular maple shafts playing with less deflection than LD shafts. That's your answer. I just picked up my new cue yesterday and I was in total shock at how his regular maple shaft squirted less than anything I've ever played with, ever.

You can say this and that about tip mass and whatever... there must be more to it and I'm not a scientist. I'd take one of those for a test drive...for sure.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lambros's new joint design has regular maple shafts playing with less deflection than LD shafts. That's your answer. I just picked up my new cue yesterday and I was in total shock at how his regular maple shaft squirted less than anything I've ever played with, ever.

You can say this and that about tip mass and whatever... there must be more to it and I'm not a scientist. I'd take one of those for a test drive...for sure.

Hey Spider,

He must have made some changes. I hit with a cue of his at the SBE a couple of years ago. It was his "LD" shaft. The hit was phenomenal...I loved the feel. However I didn't think the squirt was all that low. Definitely much less than standard maple, but nowhere close to a Z2, for example. If feel was most important with squirt being a distant second, I'd say his shaft is fantastic!!

KMRUNOUT

Hircine

Larry Byrd
Silver Member
http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/squirt.html#data

Its not too far behind the original 314.

I've never shot with a z2, I've shot with a friends 314-2 and an original 314 only a few times.

I'd rather have an American product anyways.

But due to its construction it hits more like a regular shaft, which is what OP wants.

I like it, it is still very possible to miss shots cause of deflection, usually if very long and touching the rail. But for the majority of shots, I can simply parallel shift and the aim point is still correct. It may be off by a little, I've had balls been rejected due to spin catching the walls sometimes.

Bottom line, its a quality product, I'd be willing to bet OB has a good product as well, instead of cheap asian constructed laminated wood that probably doesn't cost that much to make.

Last edited:

Luc Comtois

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I second that, I just got mine last week and love it. Bob is a great guy to deal with, go for it.

You wont look back my friend.

Lucas
Lucas Cue Shaft

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Question. How is everyone testing their shaft for squirt? Me I line up long straight shots with left and right english. Hoping to make the object ball and leaving the cue sitting like a stop shot spinning. Also is an LD shaft as important on a 7ft table as it might be on a 9ft.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Gave a buddy an OB classic (not the classic pro) thinking he'd have a hard time with it.
He's been shooting with a fairly deflect-y meucci gambler with the red dot shaft for decades.

Surprisingly he had little trouble adjusting, seems to be playing great with it and says it hits very solid
(his choice of words). I think the fatter diameter of classic might help. Feels like an oldschool maple shaft.

Ponytail

...it's about consistency
Silver Member
The OB Classic is not hollow, so therefore, does not have a hollow hit. The OB-1 and OB-2 are filled with a silicone sound dampening foam (if I recall correctly) to address the hollow hit/sound issue. It does a decent job.

I have been extremely satisfied with the OB Classic's feel and sound.

Hope this helps.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gave a buddy an OB classic (not the classic pro) thinking he'd have a hard time with it.
He's been shooting with a fairly deflect-y meucci gambler with the red dot shaft for decades.

Surprisingly he had little trouble adjusting, seems to be playing great with it and says it hits very solid
(his choice of words). I think the fatter diameter of classic might help. Feels like an oldschool maple shaft.

CreeDo,

Believe it or not, the OB Classic Pro (now just called the Pro), hits firmer than the Classic. This is because the hole in the middle of the shaft is smaller, so I believe there is a higher wood to space ratio. Also, the deflection is quite a bit lower, so this may be the best choice overall.

KMRUNOUT

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If they hit like normal shafts they are normal..........

I haven't tried any LD shaft except for predators and I don't like them because of the hollow hit. I was wondering if there are any LD shafts out there that hit solid like a normal shaft and if so how do they deflect compared to predators? Thanks in advance.

There are a few out there that claim to be low deflection but really are not. But just a little bit.

The Jacoby Edge Hybrid is what i found works well for me.

It has fairly low deflection but not as stiff as the 314 2 but the flipside is you can use the outside english allot better to get around the table.

Taking all the deflection or most of it out will help a player make balls but by having some it allows you to do things that you can do with a normal shaft possible as far as moving the cue ball around.

Someone should make a video showing the difference.