Retaining Ability from Performance Enhancing Drugs

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Over the weekend, I took an Adderall which is a pharmaceutical drug that increases focus and energy. Once feeling the effects, I went to the practice table and played the best pool of my life. I've never been more motivated to practice and I must have played for about 6 hours by myself without ever wanting to quit or getting lazy with my shot making. I was playing at least 2 balls better than I normally play and I'm 100% sure it was because of the drug's ability to help me focus better.

Obviously, it's not a good idea to take Adderall every time you play pool but I was wondering if it's possible to extend this mental improvement into my game permanently. Clearly I have the physical ability to play much better but I just need to be in the right state of mind.

As a hypothetical, if someone regularly took a performance enhancing drug when they practiced and ran countless balls without missing much, do you think it's possible to somehow carry over that muscle memory (for lack of better term) into their regular, sober game and show improvement?

Similarly, I've often heard the college rumor that if you get high and study, you will only be able to recall the information if you're high when you take the test lol. Do the same rules apply to pool?

o.g. (old guy)

mark
Silver Member
I remember an article I read several years ago that asked the same question in reference to bodybuilding and steroids. The answer was no, when you quit taking the steroids your muscle size will decrease to pre-steroid size. I am no dr. and don't know if this answer applies to adderall. I think if it were me I would work on my preshot routine, slow down and actually think about focusing. After doing this for a while it should become ingrained and you won't have to purposely think about focusing.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I think if it were me I would work on my preshot routine, slow down and actually think about focusing. After doing this for a while it should become ingrained and you won't have to purposely think about focusing.
I agree with this. Your preshot routine can be your "focus trigger" - if you practice using it as that.

pj
chgo

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't believe that a stimulant could really improve your game that much, but you might just have some coffee or other caffeinated drink to replace the prescription meds.

And like others have said, you can practice focus. Play in distracting situations, etc.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't believe that a stimulant could really improve your game that much, but you might just have some coffee or other caffeinated drink to replace the prescription meds.

And like others have said, you can practice focus. Play in distracting situations, etc.

Why don't you believe that a stimulant can allow you to play better? For me, caffeine makes my game worse. Caffeine makes me a little shaky and my eyes bounce around too much rather than steadily focusing during the shot. Adderall on the other hand makes me very relaxed, calm, and focused. Totally different results.

I know you can practice to improve your focus but you will never reach the same levels of focus obtainable through Aderall.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sadly, you are incorrect. Rx drugs, engineered with intent, are nothing like caffeine- at least not in normally indigestible forms.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why don't you believe that a stimulant can allow you to play better? For me, caffeine makes my game worse. Caffeine makes me a little shaky and my eyes bounce around too much rather than steadily focusing during the shot. Adderall on the other hand makes me very relaxed, calm, and focused. Totally different results.

I know you can practice to improve your focus but you will never reach the same levels of focus obtainable through Aderall.
And any level of focus is increased, so even if somebody could realize level 10 without it, the rx would still take him to supersonic.

I'd rather play 100mph on the natch, than 150 on a stimulant though.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you gotta do what you gotta do...

hopefully, you take the big picture into account.

the sad part is these weaklings that use adderal to cheat their way through life actually delude themselves into thinking they've achieved something.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big problem with this is if you play without your performance wont be enhanced which leads to self doubt.
I researched Adderol and found no chemical or physical addiction. But as I stated a feeling of inadequacy leads to depression.
I have never used it but have played guys on it. They play way better. Next time playing on the level and they soon find out they are human after all.
If your weak enough to feel you need drugs, you already feel inferior��

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
quantify the benefits

Quantify the benefits of playing with addarell compared to playing without it. Run drills, shoot straight pool, something that will produce hard numbers rather than a perception of playing better. Compare play with addarell to play when you are well rested and alert.

Hu

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Reverting back to pre-steroid size does not happen over night. It takes time.

The commentator to the "Titan Games" is a steroid user, but during the show consistently wears a baggy jacket or something to cover his upper body.

He definitely has the mass and size but the definition is not competition bodybuilder or hollywood ready.

Using steroids helps the recovery of muscles, it doesn't mean the day you stop using you lose all your gains go back to pre-steroid levels instantly.

The the latent effects of adderall in an off cycle, may have lingering substances or neuro connections.

I remember an article I read several years ago that asked the same question in reference to bodybuilding and steroids. The answer was no, when you quit taking the steroids your muscle size will decrease to pre-steroid size. .

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Over the weekend, I took an Adderall which is a pharmaceutical drug that increases focus and energy. Once feeling the effects, I went to the practice table and played the best pool of my life. I've never been more motivated to practice and I must have played for about 6 hours by myself without ever wanting to quit or getting lazy with my shot making. I was playing at least 2 balls better than I normally play and I'm 100% sure it was because of the drug's ability to help me focus better.

Obviously, it's not a good idea to take Adderall every time you play pool but I was wondering if it's possible to extend this mental improvement into my game permanently. Clearly I have the physical ability to play much better but I just need to be in the right state of mind.

As a hypothetical, if someone regularly took a performance enhancing drug when they practiced and ran countless balls without missing much, do you think it's possible to somehow carry over that muscle memory (for lack of better term) into their regular, sober game and show improvement?

Similarly, I've often heard the college rumor that if you get high and study, you will only be able to recall the information if you're high when you take the test lol. Do the same rules apply to pool?
I want to try it but I won't ever mainly for the reason you are asking. I don't want to take it and play well and then want to take it everytime I have a match or something like that. That's going to make it all the more addictive. Would rather just be disappointed with my natural ability.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member

it's been the ruin of many a po boy an LORD i know...

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greg Stevens,AKA The Train,used to play for days on end without sleep or rest

Thhere was a clever fellow who would wait till Greg had been up 2 days to
offer the Train a game,

That didn't work so the next guy waited 3 days,results were the same
By the end of 4 days Greg was seen playing a little less spectacular

When asked to explain this strange phenomena,I once heard the expression"Getting his mixture right"

Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriquez are now persona non grata to Cooperstown

I have always been proud of our sport,it has never been tinged with even the thought of impropriety

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are we really debating the benefits of miss-using a prescription drug...to improve your bloody pool game?

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Are we really debating the benefits of miss-using a prescription drug...to improve your bloody pool game?

Here's the thing. It won't be unheard of that some day a substance is found that is actually healthy for humans that also has other great benefits, like better memory capacity, great focus, or who knows what else.

Are you telling me that you refuse to put any beneficial substance in your body?

Society has programmed us to view certain things as bad, unless of course it's sanctioned by our Gov or the medical industry. I say, use your own head and weigh out the pros and cons and make your own decision.

_______