Pool is second fiddle to cornhole on ESPN

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seen a corn hole hustler come in the other day. He had a custom leather case and all his own bean bags. He even had one he called "Low deflection" and one old school bean bag made by Gus Szambodi's wife.

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tony,

Did you watch? Even for a few minutes? Johnsonville meat products is a nationally distributed product with a TV presence. Who is the biggest name sponsor American pool has? Diamond Billiard Products? Obviously Johnsonville has a target audience and Cornholing reaches it! There were other banners as well but that one stood out.

Lyn

Cornhole is a big game at tailgate parties, which is probably why Johnsonville signed on.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just imagine what the posts are like on the cornhole forums. They’re probably all jacked that their “beautiful game” is finally getting national TV coverage. I wonder if they’re complaining every time they see pool on TV and wonder how anyone can watch that boring game. Funny how people all view things so differently.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
9 and 10 balls with the current rules are not a fun thing to watch if you arent a complete pool nut.

no chance ever for a pool return if the current people and players make the decisions.

As we played pool league last night, this was on and I watched my teammates and the others in the pool room IGNORE THE POOL GAMES RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM as they watched this game on tv. ( it was runout pool last night with excellent play)

I thought, wtf? Has the average mind become so dumbed-down that this level of "sport" is considered entertainment?

I had to conclude, after the barkeep changed the channel to ncaa basketball tourney then some complained and asked, really loud, for the cornhole to be put back on (!!!) that indeed, the average sports fan has slipped a few notches.

Maybe pool is just too sophisticated for the new average sports viewer?

Jeff Livingston

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Nah didn't watch.

Yes, pool really has a sponsor problem based on image. IMHO

Tony,

Did you watch? Even for a few minutes? Johnsonville meat products is a nationally distributed product with a TV presence. Who is the biggest name sponsor American pool has? Diamond Billiard Products? Obviously Johnsonville has a target audience and Cornholing reaches it! There were other banners as well but that one stood out.

Lyn

dontscratch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First I heard of it was about 5 or 6 years ago.I was shooting pool and saw some people headed out the back door of the poolroom.When I asked what was going on a big ole hillbilly said, "come on out . we are going to do some cornholing. Being a little older and somewhat paranoid I passed on the invite.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spot

I'll spot anybody two beanbags on the wire, no airbeanbarrels!

Seriously, this falls under the novelty videos format, America's Funniest Videos,
Destroyed In Seconds,... it's a comedy act. Next up for ESPN: Cat Videos!

Poor POOL... never recovered from the Mackey/PBT years, burning out sponsers.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Recent threads on the Cornhole Forums:

“Is Cornhole a game or sport?”

“Saw a guy sandbagging last night”

“Have you tried the $200 Kamui aerodynamic bags?”

“Which rosin powder is best?”

“Do you cornhole hard or soft?”

“Non-Cornhole-Related sub-forum now Open. Move the Trump stuff over there!”

“Yet another aiming thread”

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not hard to figure this one out.

What's the image of the pool player/Cornhole player that middle America holds in their minds?

Where is pool/cornhole played? Can little Johnny play? Will his mother worry?

How many people ever got robbed, hustled, stabbed, shot while playing pool/cornhole?

If you enjoy pool now, you might not if the necessary changes were to occur to bring it back to the mainstream.

The grass is not always greener.

By the way, my pool hall had two sets of cofrnhole boards at one time.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool is been there, done that on TV and they know the ratings suck. ESPN might as well try something new to see if it sticks.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup

Pool is less popular then Cornhole and it is less popular then Olympic Curling, darts, ping pong, horse shoes, etc. Pool is less popular then almost any thing. There are not enough pool players to keep the nations pool halls open.

Watching corn grow and ice melt is about as interesting to most folks as watching or playing pool and I don't see it changing in my life time.

But, I can still play it on my own table and if I get really bored I can go up to one of the local dives and play on a bar box that is in poor condition against players that are afraid to play by any thing resembling BCA rules and prefer make believe bar rules.

I grew up in the mid west in the fifties to mid 60's and pool was very popular, but the digital age and electronics in one form or the other has replaced it.

The golden age of pool in the U.S. is gone and will never return.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Because just about anybody can toss a little canvas bag of corn onto a board and luck it in the hole. It's not difficult, and one can become very good at it within a few games. So the average viewer can relate to it, can imagine themselves playing the game.

Pool, on the other hand, is beyond average simple-minded mentality. It's intricate. It's difficult. One cant be good at playing pool after only playing a few games.
Only pool players can relate to it and understand what's going on. Of course, trick shots are like fireworks and just about anybody enjoys watching, so ESPN likes to air trick shot competitions. Most pool players would prefer to watch a more strategic game of pool, but ESPN is targeting a large audience and they know pool players comprise a very small percentage of that audience.

Pool is great and I love it!

Cornhole is fun entertainment.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cue deliverance banjos :smile:

I laughed at this, because not only do I like drinking a few beers while tossing bags of corn at boards with holes, but because I play a banjo too! Not all at the time of course. I mean, a guy can only have so much fun before it becomes unhealthy.

Here is what I find most disappointing with cornhole vs pool on ESPN: The fact that a backyard cornhole association somehow does a better job of lobbying for tv time compared to the well-established professional billiards association. It's either that or there aren't many pool player folks at ESPN.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Being European, I'd never seen a game of "cornholing" in my life. I always thought the word referred to a sex act, lol.

I've got say, that after watching that I get a new appreciation for the game of pool. I've never seen such a boring, lame and uninteresting game in my life! I mean, even the commentators struggled to come up with things to say! I always thought Bowls was boring, but that game is way more technical and interesting than cornhole.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhKuuvGG9kw

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is what I find most disappointing with cornhole vs pool on ESPN: The fact that a backyard cornhole association somehow does a better job of lobbying for tv time compared to the well-established professional billiards association. It's either that or there aren't many pool player folks at ESPN.[/QUOTE]

That's it right there... organized association, regular events, sponsors, etc.
I still maintain that sponsors are gun-shy about getting 'in bed' with pool
events, period. For a while, you only saw the women's tour on TV, because
the men's side was a disaster.

You used to turn on Prime, and see Efren vs.The Miz ! ... or Kimmer vs Archer,
with freaking Buddy Hall and Nick Varner on commentary!