Ring game rules question

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I recently played in N. Carolina whereby an opponent - who had no decent shot on the 1 ball, shot the 9 ball in - which was hanging in the jaws of a pocket. There obviously was no attempt or intent to make a legal ball.

The opponent wouldn't budge. Therefore the 9 spotted and the incoming player had the choice to play the cue ball where it lay or give it back. What say you?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I recently played in N. Carolina whereby an opponent - who had no decent shot on the 1 ball, shot the 9 ball in - which was hanging in the jaws of a pocket. There obviously was no attempt or intent to make a legal ball.

The opponent wouldn't budge. Therefore the 9 spotted and the incoming player had the choice to play the cue ball where it lay or give it back. What say you?
We always played that you had to try to hit the ball. If everyone agreed that there was no way to hit the ball from where you were, you were allowed to push out.

Also, we eventually put in a rule that if the shot was passed after a foul, it had to be passed all the way around the ring to get back to the fouler. That cuts out the brother-in-law action.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
nevermind, didn't see this was a "ring game"

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

How times change. :eek:

When i was a kid, the Carolinas were famous for firing at everything....
...even head on.
If you played a safety, you were ostracized.

I don't think I want to play in a ring game where someone plays a safe.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I have not played many ring games but the ones I did play there were no safeties allowed, you had to attempt an offensive shot. We also played single foul BIH with 5 & 9 money balls so no one really wanted to give up BIH.

Don Owen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We always played that you had to try to hit the ball. If everyone agreed that there was no way to hit the ball from where you were, you were allowed to push out.

Also, we eventually put in a rule that if the shot was passed after a foul, it had to be passed all the way around the ring to get back to the fouler. That cuts out the brother-in-law action.

I like the "pass it all the way around the ring" rule.

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Maybe invite him out of the ring game????

Keith

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
You'll always have players that don't abide by the ol "honest effort" in ring games.
I like playing push-out instead. A good player can "accidentally" miscue any time
It's convenient. The only way to really keep a ring game honest is to allow push-out
options. It's also fair to all players. If you get screwed 4 or 5 shots in a row, only
to be forced to kick and hope, that usually only benefits the player following you.
To be honest, it's a no-brainer. When gambling, every shot should be performed
with your best interest in mind. It's usually your money on the line, and the whole
"honest effort" of trying something is often not in your best interest. At least
a push-out could provide you with a better opportunity.

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a matter of ring game etiquette, everyone I play with here will try to make an attempt on the object ball. Even if there are no hard-and-fast rules, someone that refused to abide by that "suggestion" would not be invited to play again.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Safety option not allowed

Thats a form of safety, he was preventing the next player from getting a shot on the 9. Kick him out, dont let him back in, the guy next in line should really be pissed.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How times change. :eek:

When i was a kid, the Carolinas were famous for firing at everything....
...even head on.
If you played a safety, you were ostracized.

I don't think I want to play in a ring game where someone plays a safe.

I've been living in SC twenty years this fall. I've seen a ring game with ball in hand anywhere on a scratch, something I never saw in a ring game before.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Were they choppin' your money up?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Can somebody post 9 Ball ring game rules?

I have never seen written rules for ring games.
Just the general rules apply.
..and the common sense rule of going for everything....
...there can be no profit to play conservative...you will only benefit someone else.

The nice thing about ring games is that they produce miracles....
...shots you would never go for in normal games start to look possible.

Efren would've been brutal at this game.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I live in NC and that is not normal play,,,,,,,, pretty much "honest effort" is the norm.

Awizzzy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play alot of ring games, and I have never heard of this move. Ring games are total offense and you have to soot for the lowest ball. There is no kicking the nine ball so that the next person can't have a shot unless they hit the lowest ball first. Even then, there is no defense allowed in ring games.

All offense, all the time. Fun game.

My 2 cents...

:grin::grin::grin::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have never seen written rules for ring games.
Just the general rules apply.
Here is how I remember we used to play....

The Rules of Ring Nine Ball

Ring nine ball is played by 3 or more players shooting in turn. The game is governed by the standard rules of nine ball with the following exceptions:

Spotting balls: Any ball made on a foul shot or jumped off the table is spotted.

Cue ball on a scratch: The cue ball is in hand behind the line after a scratch or if it's jumped off the table. If the lowest ball is behind the line, the shooter may have it spotted.

Fair try required: No safeties are permitted. The shooter must attempt to hit the lowest ball on the table. If it is agreed by all that it is not possible to hit the lowest ball, the player may push out.

Pass back: After any foul, the incoming player may pass the shot back to the fouler.

Optional pass-around rule: After a foul, each player in turn may pass the shot or take it with the shot going back to the fouler if all other players pass the shot.

Breaker: Winner breaks.

Change the order: Any player may request a re-draw for the order at the start of a game but the old order is used for that game. After that game is finished, there is a new draw for order with the winner of that game being first automatically.

Three player order rotation option: If there are only three players in the game, the order changes every rack with the person who sold out racking and shooting second.

Also, I think it's probably better to play "all fouls" in a ring game. That avoids some complications.