Mental game

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would it be possible to get a subsection focused on the mental game? It seems once you reach a certain point the game is mostly mental. An area to discuss focus, visualization, dealing with pressure, books, hypnosis, etc. I am sure the list is long but I think a number of members would benefit from having those discussions in one place.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
it would be the death of mental game discussion

Would it be possible to get a subsection focused on the mental game? It seems once you reach a certain point the game is mostly mental. An area to discuss focus, visualization, dealing with pressure, books, hypnosis, etc. I am sure the list is long but I think a number of members would benefit from having those discussions in one place.

Make a side forum for the mental game and a few people would say a few things over and over if the forum lived at all. Most likely it would die like so many other side forums plus it would further weaken the main forum.

If you want to end mental game discussion get it put on a side forum.

Hu

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The mental game should be discussed with a professional instructor to make sure there are no physical problems with how you set up and deliver the cuestick.

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
the mental game

My mental game comes from competing in games from the time I was walking. Checkers, chess, stock car racing, pistol competition, benchrest rifle competition, and pool not to mention a half-dozen other things or more.

Only one of those things has anything to do with a pool stick. The mental game can be built without ever hitting a ball.

Hu

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
My mental game comes from competing in games from the time I was walking. Checkers, chess, stock car racing, pistol competition, benchrest rifle competition, and pool not to mention a half-dozen other things or more.

Only one of those things has anything to do with a pool stick. The mental game can be built without ever hitting a ball.

Hu

Well said! The mental game is about letting it happen rather than trying to make it happen. It's about competing in the present, not looking back on what has already happened, and certainly not looking forward to what could happen but hasn't happened yet. This applies to almost everything we do, meaning that our best performance occurs when we stay in the moment, just letting it roll out without consciously interfering or trying too hard.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The mental game should be discussed with a professional instructor to make sure there are no physical problems with how you set up and deliver the cuestick.

Scott Lee

Though I do agree with Scott, I do think weak mental game can effect and destroy ones "how you set up and deliver the cuestick".

I think a sub forum might be good, but I think there is a lot of good, bad and suck out there. I would look for more of a review sub to be honest.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

Hu

Think you made a wonderful point above. I like to say their are two kinds of people in life, talkers, and doers.

Doers are persistent, doers never give up, and doers do not have the word can not, or can't in their voculabary.

We use to have this guy doing the door to door sales thing with the old fuller brush company. He had a stutter when he spoke. But he kept knocking door, and doing his sales pitch. He was one of the top sales people, made good money selling fuller brush product because he did not give up, even thought he did not have perfect speech.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No. He sold lots coz people wanted him GONE.

What are you selling,
L
O
L
?

And where you been?

Think you made a wonderful point above. I like to say their are two kinds of people in life, talkers, and doers.

Doers are persistent, doers never give up, and doers do not have the word can not, or can't in their voculabary.

We use to have this guy doing the door to door sales thing with the old fuller brush company. He had a stutter when he spoke. But he kept knocking door, and doing his sales pitch. He was one of the top sales people, made good money selling fuller brush product because he did not give up, even thought he did not have perfect speech.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
practice and performance

Some of the most skilled people I have ever seen in practice were poor competitors. Some of the less talented people always seem to find a way to win. Player speed mostly defines the tangible. The intangible is often what makes winners and champions. Over and over we see olympic athletes come from what should be career ending injuries and illnesses to win gold. Mental strength is the main thing that got them back on top.

Hu

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
welcome back CocoboloCowboy. you always take everyone's crap in stride, and i like your posts (nutty or not..this one wasn't nutty at all)

best,

lou

heisenbug

Registered
I guess, as one gets better and everyone has the ability to run racks, doesn't the mental game get more important than at lower levels.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IN sports, as in life, it is never enough to want to be good or want to be the best. it is never enough to just keep trying. Whatever a person lacks in natural ability to achieve something has to be supported by making steady improvements in what they are lacking. Successful persistence involves consciously and continually seeking, finding, and implementing improvements. When you get to the point that you incorporate those improvements into your approach to your pool game- every shot, every situation, in the moment, with confidence that you can do- you then have a strong mental game to bring to the table.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Yep!

welcome back CocoboloCowboy. you always take everyone's crap in stride, and i like your posts (nutty or not..this one wasn't nutty at all)

best,

lou

He is one of the posters that make AZB worthwhile. Aside from anything else he has one of the coolest handles on the forum. I can hear Mel every time I see his handle!

Hu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdVLEo3JyWc

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Some of the most skilled people I have ever seen in practice were poor competitors. Some of the less talented people always seem to find a way to win. Player speed mostly defines the tangible. The intangible is often what makes winners and champions. Over and over we see olympic athletes come from what should be career ending injuries and illnesses to win gold. Mental strength is the main thing that got them back on top.

Hu

Another great point, people who want something very bad like a Gold Olympic Medal in most cases spend a lot of time practicing, giving up any normal life for their dream, and learning how to win.

Mostly people have zero problem eating a nice well cooker Porterhouse Steak, but many could not Kill & Butcher a Steer, and then eat the same cut of meat. A Nice Thick Porterhouse.

Last edited:

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Three parts come to mind. First get some lessons when possible and practice. The lessons and practice will make you consistent. Second would be to sign up for tournaments and maybe a pool league. tournaments and or league will keep you in stroke under some pressure. Be honest about your skill level, physical abilities and have fun with your hobby. Having some fun takes some pressure off because your competing because you like to. To keep practicing and competing you have to want to play pool. Remember all good players found success through lots of failure. Cheers

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The mental game is much easier to discuss in person 1:1 than on a forum. One problem is that it's such an expansive topic that thousands of books have been written on the subject. To dive deeply on a forum just isn't easy. An even bigger problem is that everyone is in a different spot and needs different things. Might as well ask "How do you play pool?" You can drill down to more specific challenges such as "I struggle when playing better players" or something, but even this isn't so easy.

The reason the mental game is difficult is that it is a game of balancing what seem to be contradictory ideas. While dead stroke is in the same place for all of us, directions there are different depending on where we are out of balance. For example:

Win means more to you than anything ------------ Detached from results
Practicing to the point the game comes easy ------------ Be prepared for adversity and vulnerability
Play with confidence ------------------- Have no expectations
Don't let pressure make you rush ------------------ Don't let pressure make you overanalyze

These aren't perfectly stated, again the mental game is tricky and this is off the cuff. But the point is that what might help one person might hurt another. So Scott Lee's advice of looking to the fundamentals is very good advice for most people. You want a solid physical game that takes pressure off your mental game because you build a reliable foundation and confidence. But for players that are timid and trying to perfect their game in their basement so they don't have to risk failure and loss, this might be the wrong direction.

In sum, dead stroke is perfect balance, when we're not in dead stroke it's because we're out of balance and which way to adjust depends on which way we're starting to tip over. On a forum we can minimize the importance of the mental game or throw around cliches, but I haven't seen much discussion that has really lead to a lot of breakthroughs.

I would recommend reading books on the subject or working with a sports psychologist. Best of all is to talk with good tournament players. We can see on youtube how the top players shoot or play patterns. You don't get to see what they think. And books are one sided and not customized. When you go to a tournament with a good player you can spend time with them to hear how they think about the game, how they prepare for matches, how they process losses, etc. You can voice your doubts or fears or struggles and they can tell you how they work through those thoughts and feelings. To me this is the best way to go.

This is assuming you believe in the study and practice approach. I know the majority believe it's better just to shoot balls in the hole and not overthink it. If that works for them, great. If you're not getting the results you want, do something different. To me the ultimate test are the results on the table. Theories are great. The proof is in the pudding.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Scott Lee

Very true Scott.

That's why I'm gonna get lessons. My physical abilities have changed due to back and neck problems.

My game has went from 14.1 runs in the 60's to 80's on a 9' pro-am to less than 40ish on average.

I can't stay down on the cb lately due to pain.

I need to be taught to have a higher stance or different foot position at a lower stance that will ease the pain enough to allow me to concentrate on the game instead of my pain.

Jeff