OB Chalk

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The verdict is already out on this.
Whether it's American, Russian, Korean, Japanese or something else chalk:

1. If you chalk after every shot it doesn't matter what you use.

2. If you chalk every ten shots it matters what chalk you use.
Ten is just a random number.

To scruff or not to scruff...that is the question?

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it's not your table, a shaft colored chalk will not be as noticeable on your shaft or hands.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the questions everyone.

It has become far too common for companies in our industry to come out with a new product or an improved version of an existing product and then make outlandish claims that they can't back up. We have never done that with any of our products and are not planning on doing it with our chalk.

We spent the last year working directly with a new chalk manufacturer in China to come up with a chalk that would be considered by players to be a premium chalk. Something that players would try and hopefully perceive as being as good or better than many of the other premium chalk brands on the market.

We have had several players in the Dallas area test the chalk over the last 6 months and the feedback we have gotten from them has been great. Many players have compared it to Blue Diamond which I am personally a big fan of.

I just sent Dr Dave a PM to ask him to test it so hopefully he will be up for that and if so, we can send him some to test.

We are not trying to reinvent the wheel and we are not claiming to have the best chalk in the industry. However, we do believe that it will rank quite highly and will give players one additional choice in the chalk brand that they choose to use (which is always a good thing). We are first and foremost a pool cue manufacturer and that will always be our main focus but fans of our products have asked us for chalk for years now so we felt it was time to deliver.

Let me know if any of you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Kudos to OB.
A friend bought an OB cue and within a year, it showed signs if hair line separation behind the ferrule.
He sent it to OB and within a week, he got a replacement for only the cost of shipping to and fro.:)

shanesinnott

Follow Through
Silver Member
Kudos to OB.
A friend bought an OB cue and within a year, it showed signs if hair line separation behind the ferrule.
He sent it to OB and within a week, he got a replacement for only the cost of shipping to and fro.:)

Appreciate that, we work very hard to maintain a gold standard of customer service in this industry.

Dave Mackay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB Chalk (48 cubes) arrived today and so I went out for a few hours practice.

Love it.

The OB Chalk covers the tip very well (increases confidence in shooting), performs equally as good as Blue Diamond but is less messy on the shaft. (I cant say plays better or worse as only a robot has a perfect stroke every time) 4hrs played no miscues and I am a spin/follow/draw player.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it's not your table, a shaft colored chalk will not be as noticeable on your shaft or hands.

My shaft and hands are much easier to clean than the table cloth. On green and blue cloth, tan chalk looks gross. Very very messy. Blue, not so much.

KMRUNOUT

Break and One

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Shane, with all the talk of the new predator carbon fiber shaft will you guys be doing anything similar for competition?

shanesinnott

Follow Through
Silver Member
OB Chalk (48 cubes) arrived today and so I went out for a few hours practice.

Love it.

The OB Chalk covers the tip very well (increases confidence in shooting), performs equally as good as Blue Diamond but is less messy on the shaft. (I cant say plays better or worse as only a robot has a perfect stroke every time) 4hrs played no miscues and I am a spin/follow/draw player.

Glad you love the chalk Dave, we do too!

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been using OB chalk fir a few hours now.

First impressions this far are that this is an excellent chalk. It feels tad softer than masters but nothing like the gooey kamui. Balls stay fairly clean and I still havent had a miscue using this. Seems to be good stuff. Time will tell how I like it in the long run but I have a feeling that this may replace masters for me :eek:

Anyone else using OB atm?

shanesinnott

Follow Through
Silver Member
I have been using OB chalk fir a few hours now.

First impressions this far are that this is an excellent chalk. It feels tad softer than masters but nothing like the gooey kamui. Balls stay fairly clean and I still havent had a miscue using this. Seems to be good stuff. Time will tell how I like it in the long run but I have a feeling that this may replace masters for me :eek:

Anyone else using OB atm?

Happy to hear you like the chalk Kimmo!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, OB is sending me some chalk to test. I'll add the results to the chalk comparison resource page when I get it done.
I finally found some time to run the new OB chalk through a comparison test with Magic Chalk. I added the results to the chalk comparison resource page.

OB chalk seemed a little harder and more abrasive than other chalks I've tested. Therefore, it might last a little longer and help keep the tip surface scuffed (but it could also wear down the tip faster).

Magic Chalk has surpassed all other chalks concerning how long the chalk remains effective on the tip (after multiple shots without chalking); however, OB also performed fairly well in this category (not as good as Magic Chalk, but better than other chalks tested).

Regards,
Dave

shanesinnott

Follow Through
Silver Member
I finally found some time to run the new OB chalk through a comparison test with Magic Chalk. I added the results to the chalk comparison resource page.

OB chalk seemed a little harder and more abrasive than other chalks I've tested. Therefore, it might last a little longer and help keep the tip surface scuffed (but it could also wear down the tip faster).

Magic Chalk has surpassed all other chalks concerning how long the chalk remains effective on the tip (after multiple shots without chalking); however, OB also performed fairly well in this category (not as good as Magic Chalk, but better than other chalks tested).

Regards,
Dave

Dave,

Thank you for testing our chalk and I am very happy to see independent verification as to how long the OB Chalk remains effective on the tip. Being 2nd only to Magic chalk is something I can live with :)