Ball jumping out of pockets.

WoodyMPW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking for help. The video of a ball being pocketed and jumping out the opposite side table pocket?

Can only find the same pocket pocket rejection clips.

Thanks!

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great thread, great video. My buddy he always tells the story about the time they were doing a league match and his teammate forgot to call the eight ball pocket and the other team called him on it and stole the game. So when it was his turn he was straight in on the eight in the side and he said, “Right the f*** there!”

He rifled it in and it came out the other side pocket. The part where he gets the most excited is when he explains that they should have called a foul because nothing ever touched a rail.

I’ve told him that the pocket equals a rail but he keeps telling the story with the same conviction.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great thread, great video. My buddy he always tells the story about the time they were doing a league match and his teammate forgot to call the eight ball pocket and the other team called him on it and stole the game. So when it was his turn he was straight in on the eight in the side and he said, “Right the f*** there!”

He rifled it in and it came out the other side pocket. The part where he gets the most excited is when he explains that they should have called a foul because nothing ever touched a rail.

I’ve told him that the pocket equals a rail but he keeps telling the story with the same conviction.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cant remember for sure the ruling in this case or the rules discussion afterwards, but I think most people were saying the ball is still live and the inning ends, assuming no other balls were legally pocketed on the same stroke. Similar to the 8 ball that spun its way out of the pocket.

giphy.gif

IMO though, the balls in these situations should count as pocketed. Why the player would be penalized for an oversight/mistake in the design of the table is beyond me.

The balls left the playing surface and entered into the pocket on a legal stroke. Seems pretty cut and dry to me, but I dont write the rules. :thumbup:

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Several years ago, Valley introduced a revised Panther bar box. It was used at the Valley National event in Vegas and the APA Nationals. Wasn't a major complaint about the revision that a ball driven directly into a pocket would sometimes jump back out? Don't have any video's but I saw it happen on the "new" Valley's we used to have at the pool room. Since our switch to Diamond Pro/Am's, never seen it happen.

Would like to hear from a Diamond guy about how the ball got from one side pocket to the other. Seems to me the video is just too good to be true. The ball appears to exit the right pocket as fast as it entered the left. Or faster!

Lyn

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Several years ago, Valley introduced a revised Panther bar box. It was used at the Valley National event in Vegas and the APA Nationals. Wasn't a major complaint about the revision that a ball driven directly into a pocket would sometimes jump back out? Don't have any video's but I saw it happen on the "new" Valley's we used to have at the pool room. Since our switch to Diamond Pro/Am's, never seen it happen.

Would like to hear from a Diamond guy about how the ball got from one side pocket to the other. Seems to me the video is just too good to be true. The ball appears to exit the right pocket as fast as it entered the left. Or faster!

Lyn

Trust me its real. A friend rifled one in ball came out the other side and grazed his chin. Teased him about not staying down on the shot.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cant remember for sure the ruling in this case or the rules discussion afterwards, but I think most people were saying the ball is still live and the inning ends, assuming no other balls were legally pocketed on the same stroke. Similar to the 8 ball that spun its way out of the pocket.

giphy.gif

IMO though, the balls in these situations should count as pocketed. Why the player would be penalized for an oversight/mistake in the design of the table is beyond me.

The balls left the playing surface and entered into the pocket on a legal stroke. Seems pretty cut and dry to me, but I dont write the rules. :thumbup:

Without a ref, you could never have a rule where the ball stays down due to the fact that anytime someone wasn't paying attention, you could claim every ball that rattled was down and should stay down or even if the guy sitting WAS paying attention while a ball DID hit the bottom of the pocket, he could claim he didn't see it and that it must have just rattled. Huge can of worms would be opened up. Pool players can't be trusted.

Even with a ref, there could be accusations of collusion or favoritism if a guy blinked when it happened etc.

No one has confirmed my thoughts on whether it would be a foul if the ball came out the other side and neither the cue ball or the object ball touched a rail. (I strongly believe it is a good hit)

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
No one has confirmed my thoughts on whether it would be a foul if the ball came out the other side and neither the cue ball or the object ball touched a rail. (I strongly believe it is a good hit)

I can't confirm anything for you but I will say that if you were shooting against me and you made a ball that came out of another pocket, I would drop the ball back into the pocket and call the shot good. No sense of penalizing somebody because of bad engineering on the table makers part.

Now...if the ball came out and disturbed other balls, that would create a whole 'nother problem.

Maniac

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

giphy.gif

Without a ref, you could never have a rule where the ball stays down due to the fact that anytime someone wasn't paying attention, you could claim every ball that rattled was down and should stay down or even if the guy sitting WAS paying attention while a ball DID hit the bottom of the pocket, he could claim he didn't see it and that it must have just rattled. Huge can of worms would be opened up. Pool players can't be trusted.

Even with a ref, there could be accusations of collusion or favoritism if a guy blinked when it happened etc.

The shot should never be called pocketed....where it ends up is your result.
...but it’s not a foul...a pocket equals a rail.

However, in a nicer world, this is what could happen legally....
....the ball comes out of another pocket...
...you go sit in your chair...
..the incoming player concedes the game to you.

Shortly after, peace in the Middle East is declared

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... No sense of penalizing somebody because of bad engineering on the table makers part. ...
At one of the big straight pool tournaments back in the 1970s they were using some off-brand table that had wire runners for the ball returns like GCs but the wires were visible in the bottoms of the pockets. The pocket liners did not hide the wires or direct the ball to the side and towards the return.

So, players who shot their break shots straight into the heart of the corner pockets at speed got to see the break balls spring back up off the runners and maybe hit the back edge of the pocket and go back into the rack for an even better break.

There was no exemption in that tournament for lousy equipment -- the players had to adjust.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Diamond's new tables won't do that...they added a deflector so balls hit in the side pocket can't roll straight across the tray and up the ramp out the opposite side pocket. It does happen with older diamonds without the deflector piece added.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At one of the big straight pool tournaments back in the 1970s they were using some off-brand table that had wire runners for the ball returns like GCs but the wires were visible in the bottoms of the pockets. The pocket liners did not hide the wires or direct the ball to the side and towards the return.

So, players who shot their break shots straight into the heart of the corner pockets at speed got to see the break balls spring back up off the runners and maybe hit the back edge of the pocket and go back into the rack for an even better break.

There was no exemption in that tournament for lousy equipment -- the players had to adjust.

LMAO @ back into the rack for an even better break!

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Diamond's new tables won't do that...they added a deflector so balls hit in the side pocket can't roll straight across the tray and up the ramp out the opposite side pocket. It does happen with older diamonds without the deflector piece added.

I think some older tables had a poorly mounted deflector plate. After a few balls get fired in , no deflector plate.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Trust me its real. A friend rifled one in ball came out the other side and grazed his chin. Teased him about not staying down on the shot.

Hey dog,

Watched Manning Cues video. Now I understand how a ball played in one side pocket can pop back up onto the table from the other side. Bad original design. Never seen it happen in person. Have seen an object ball enter a pocket, drop out of sight, then pop back up onto the playing surface again. Thanks for the comment.

Lyn

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Lyn

Not possible on a Diamond unless someone has removed the center deflectors, as there's a ball deflector at the end of the track on both side pockets. In order to come back up on the table the object ball would have to jump over both deflectors and come back up track.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Not possible on a Diamond unless someone has removed the center deflectors, as there's a ball deflector at the end of the track on both side pockets. In order to come back up on the table the object ball would have to jump over both deflectors and come back up track.

According to the Manning cues video, Diamond didn't always use those deflectors...thus the "in one side out the other" problem with the early tables...

realkingcobra

Silver Member
According to the Manning cues video, Diamond didn't always use those deflectors...thus the "in one side out the other" problem with the early tables...

Well, the Diamonds I designed back in 2000 had them, so i don't know which Diamonds he would be talking about.