Slide on and off cue weight? P Flemming..

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
Watching the Turning Stone stream and i've seen Pat slide a weight onto the shaft of the cue a couple times, looked like when he was shooting over another ball...

What's the point? Better balance for jacked up shots or something? I can't recall ever seeing anyone else use something like this...

Thanks,

b

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching the Turning Stone stream and i've seen Pat slide a weight onto the shaft of the cue a couple times, looked like when he was shooting over another ball...

What's the point? Better balance for jacked up shots or something? I can't recall ever seeing anyone else use something like this...

Thanks,

b

Dunno, but worth mentioning Pat just won a big qualifier to secure a spot in the big Joy tournament in China so congrats to Pat!

Hinekanman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought i heard them say it helps to keep the shaft down when he uses an open bridge.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I thought i heard them say it helps to keep the shaft down when he uses an open bridge.

That's exactly what it was designed for. These days, when the tournament officials might not have seen such a thing, it might be barred.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I can see the advantage of adding some forward weight to the cue when shooting over another ball. I would ban it, if it hasn't been. It's already bad enough we use jump cues that look like proctoscopes.

All the best,
WW

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's exactly what it was designed for. These days, when the tournament officials might not have seen such a thing, it might be barred.

I would agree with that ban but then you are in a very touchy area because an add-on cue extension serves much the same purpose, to aid in executing a shot past what your normal cue can do.

In fact, I would want to count any additional device you put on a cue like an extension as a cue in itself to count towards the total cue limit you may use in a match, which I think is 3. You have a 58" cue but want to bring a 6" extension with it, well then you have a 58" cue and a 64" cue, which is two cues. You want to keep the extension on all the time, you have a 64" cue, which is one cue.

I would also implement a minimum weight for a cue as well, likely near 15 oz.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I remember correctly, Rodney Morris was promoting these things at one time.

The weight is a device to put more front weight on the shaft to keep it down when you are shooting over a ball or shooting off the rail where the cue ball is close to or on the rail.

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
I can see the advantage of adding some forward weight to the cue when shooting over another ball. I would ban it, if it hasn't been. It's already bad enough we use jump cues that look like proctoscopes.

All the best,
WW

I am for anything that improves the game. If you ban this counterweight then you should make all cues the same length, weight ...etc...

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am for anything that improves the game. If you ban this counterweight then you should make all cues the same length, weight ...etc...

And get rid of tall people. Everybody should be short, like me.

And make everyone shoot with the SAME cue.

And use the same rack (like an Accu-rack or Magic Rack).

And no jump cues.

And use the same piece of chalk.

And no bridges allowed.

And everybody is on a shot clock.

And no break cues.

And every ball is called either a safe or a pocket (you call a pocket, and miss, shot can be passed back).

And all races are to 100 or more games.

And no coffee or stimulants. You have to drink alcoholic beverages.

Etc., etc., etc.

Lets play some real pool.

:)

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to be a regular viewer of his game show and saw him use the weight sometimes. Pat can play. I haven't seen him play in about a year but I'm guessing he is still using that short cue.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the first tournament I heard of Pat playing in many years.
Go Pat

Must be like riding a bike

First Kieth, then Pat, where's Mataya ?

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this has been discussed before. He uses it to help keep cue down when shooting off of the rail. Only rail shots.