Playing Pool Rehabilitation for Loss of Index Finger and Thumb

"Popeye"

living vicariously
Silver Member
It’s been a long time since I’ve posted on AZ, but I basically stopped playing for 2years while my wife was going to school full time, which affected our budget. I used to play in weekend tournaments and went to a large event once a year. This got old fast, and it got to the point where I had no social interaction after work and both my wife and I thought it would be healthy for me to start playing again, so I started to play UPA league on Mondays last Summer. I play out of Mazzy’s in Alpharetta, GA and quickly moved up to a “7” from a “4”… I think my speed is a “9”, but I play 3hrs a week, so that has a factor. Things were going well, and my game was getting stronger, and even bought a trip to go to Vegas for the nationals, but on March 5, 2016 my life changed drastically where I cut off 80% of my left index finger and 40% of my thumb on my left hand with a miter saw. I don’t want to get into the gory details, but the wood had a knot in it that kicked my left hand into the blade. I’m right handed, but play left handed, so my stroke and bridge was not affected, but my grip was messed up.

I played for about 45mins yesterday. My break and some strokes are way off, since my grip is very different. I have zero control on my break, but feel my goal to use pool as a rehabilitation regime is a solid one. I played for about an hour against the 9-ball ghost today and took a video of a couple games, which I posted to YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IT6EW7YRN7M

I’m getting some nerve pain from my index finger, but only notice it when I focus on my grip. You will notice my missing index finger points straight down and serves no purpose. I feel when the bandaging comes off my thumb, it will help stabilize my grip. I know it will get better and will go to Vegas in June to play, and will not let this accident hold me back. I told my team captain that I will be back to play next week; March 28th.

I plan to document my healing process using my blog on my website; http://www.thwaites.info/billiards/blog/ but plan to come back here and add updates to this thread since I know my story may resonate with others and I'm interested to hear how others dealt with a similar challenge. Sorry for the poor focus in the video, but was trying out a new camera for the recording. Stay tuned for future videos with my progress.

15days.jpg

UPDATE: 04/01/2016
Here's a pic of what I'm dealing with. I had a good doctor's visit yesterday and he said I was on track and healing well. He said I shouldn't be playing pool with the risk of hitting my "stubs", but I'm just going to be careful since it want to play and my hand feels good since I use it so much more than typing all day at work. Next week he wants me to go a hand desensitization therapist to help with some of the nerve pain. I still have to wear the bandages till end of April, since the scabs are pretty gross, hence why I blurred them out in the pic. I'm also dealing with a lot of dryness, since I have to be careful with getting my hand wet which could result in the skin grafts sloughing off. To help, I'm using Rosehip oil to moisturize and encourage healing. I'll keep ya posted on how the healing goes... Cheers!

Hand.jpg

Last edited:

Strictly

Registered
Man I used to be a scenic carpenter and we would get pretty fast and loose to say the least and I always feared traumatic injury like that I'm glad to see your bouncing back and positive overall. Tip for potentially help with your break control for a while I was using a grip on my breaks where I would choke all the way down on the cue and kind of rest the butt on my pinky gives you decent control and follow through but lengthens your bridge a bit but still gives you power. Good luck with the road ahead.
Edit: Just watched the video of you playing the ghost your game overall is tight so if it had suffered then dang.

Last edited:

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely, the best well wishes to you. You sound committed to overcoming this. I know that you will.

Take care

"Popeye"

living vicariously
Silver Member
Man I used to be a scenic carpenter and we would get pretty fast and loose to say the least and I always feared traumatic injury like that I'm glad to see your bouncing back and positive overall. Tip for potentially help with your break control for a while I was using a grip on my breaks where I would choke all the way down on the cue and kind of rest the butt on my pinky gives you decent control and follow through but lengthens your bridge a bit but still gives you power. Good luck with the road ahead.

I'm going all the way back, but not the bumper. I will try that out next time. Thanks!

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Thank you for having the courage to post his. As all us woodworkers know, we are always just seconds from this and far worse.

I am certain you're going to be able to overcome it. I often feel my grip hand is way too active. At one time I just held the cue squeezed in the pocket between my thumb and forefinger with no fingers or thumb actually touching the cue. I think this was my best grip, but an instructor changed it. I honestly think I played the best that way because it allows the butt of the cue to hinge naturally with the stroke. There is plenty of pressure that can be applied that way too - even with the break shot.

I am sure you will overcome this, not only with pool but with all aspects of your life - it will just take some adaptation. Your positive attitude is a huge asset.

Last edited:

"Popeye"

living vicariously
Silver Member
Thank you for having he courage to post his. As all us woodworkers know, we are always just seconds from this and far worse.

I am certain you're going to be able to overcome it. I often feel my grip hand is way too active. At one time I just held the cue squeezed in the pocket between my thumb and forefinger with no fingers or thumb actually touching the cue. I think this was my best grip, but an instructor changed it. I honestly think I played the best that way because it allows the butt of the cue to hinge naturally with the stroke. There is plenty of pressure that can be applied that way too - even with the break shot.

I am sure you will overcome this, not only with pool but with all aspects of your life - it will just take some adaptation. Your positive attitude is a huge asset.

Thanks. Everyone who knows me, knows that I don't sugar coat stuff and Im direct. With this, there is zero point on letting it beat me down. These are the cards I've been dealt and I better get busy living, like that quote from Shawshank.

For my grip, I will adapt but it will take time. I still have stitches, the badges are cumbersome and there is pain, but when I play, I don't feel or think of it. Bettween shots, when I chalk, or tighen my cue, I become more aware. My head is still trying to figure what's going on. Weird.

Daryle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can't keep a good man down. All the best to you in your ongoing recovery.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

bmccaslin

Registered Human
Silver Member
Very similar thing happened to me about 20 years ago...a knot in a 2x4 that I was cutting an angle in for a roof truss got caught in a 22" radial saw and jerked my left hand in.

This cut off the top of my middle finger (distal and middle phalanges) and the base of my index finger (proximal phalanges), as well as basically grinding down my metacarpal bone for the index finger. Long story short, the reconstructive surgery makes my hand look like a normal hand - a new finger was made with the top of my index and bottom of my middle finger - but with just three fingers (and limited feeling in the new "index" finger) and a thumb.

I probably started playing pool seriously about 6-7 years after that, and with my left hand being my bridge hand it was a little challenging at first. However, with the repeated playing, practicing, etc, I really started noticing a big difference in my precision and dexterity in the reconstructed finger, and I attribute this directly to the pool playing. I had always done my physical therapy after the injury to make the best of my hand, but playing pool helped me gain even more flexibility and motion than I thought was possible.

So it's good to hear that you're sticking with it. Best advice I can give is to do your physical therapy, as it will help out a ton, and keep a positive attitude, which it sounds like you are. And I imagine that with your injured hand being your grip hand, all of the various grips and strokes that you need to play at a decent level will help restore some feel and dexterity to that hand.

And a funny thing of sorts...you'll now start to really notice even the slightest of hand injuries on other people, which isn't bad as you'll have something to start up a random conversation with strangers occasionally. I'm always happy to share my story even if people are hesitant to ask.

So I wish the best of luck to you in your recovery!

-Brian

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for your injury, but your courage and recovery are inspiring. :thumbup:

Your thumb, index, and middle fingers are your dexterity. Think of writing.

Your pinky and ring finger are your grip. Think holding a bat.

The reason you lost control of your break is loss of dexterity, not grip.

Your grip fingers will need to compensate for some of that dexterity to recover control. In addition, the remains of the injured fingers have not fully recovered and you will regain some usefulness of them progressively.

I see people talking about their cue grip and I can see they are not using their 4th and 5th digits. I tell them the problem with their grip is they don't have one. LOL! :wink::D Just something that is a common misnomer. Not so important because we all know what we mean and it isn't a medical conversation...most of the time.

Anyway, I think pool is going to be great for your recovery on many levels. :thumbup:

I look forward to hearing of your success in your recovery in general and your recovery of skills at the table. :)

Last edited:

"Popeye"

living vicariously
Silver Member
Very similar thing happened to me about 20 years ago...a knot in a 2x4 that I was cutting an angle in for a roof truss got caught in a 22" radial saw and jerked my left hand in.

This cut off the top of my middle finger (distal and middle phalanges) and the base of my index finger (proximal phalanges), as well as basically grinding down my metacarpal bone for the index finger. Long story short, the reconstructive surgery makes my hand look like a normal hand - a new finger was made with the top of my index and bottom of my middle finger - but with just three fingers (and limited feeling in the new "index" finger) and a thumb.

I probably started playing pool seriously about 6-7 years after that, and with my left hand being my bridge hand it was a little challenging at first. However, with the repeated playing, practicing, etc, I really started noticing a big difference in my precision and dexterity in the reconstructed finger, and I attribute this directly to the pool playing. I had always done my physical therapy after the injury to make the best of my hand, but playing pool helped me gain even more flexibility and motion than I thought was possible.

So it's good to hear that you're sticking with it. Best advice I can give is to do your physical therapy, as it will help out a ton, and keep a positive attitude, which it sounds like you are. And I imagine that with your injured hand being your grip hand, all of the various grips and strokes that you need to play at a decent level will help restore some feel and dexterity to that hand.

And a funny thing of sorts...you'll now start to really notice even the slightest of hand injuries on other people, which isn't bad as you'll have something to start up a random conversation with strangers occasionally. I'm always happy to share my story even if people are hesitant to ask.

So I wish the best of luck to you in your recovery!

-Brian

Wow. Thanks for relating here. When I tell people how this happened they can't picture it, but our stories are similar. I haven't been given any physiotherapy yet, just got the stitches out a few days ago. My index nub and thumb are still red and painful when touching the sides, but slept without the badges yesterday which was liberating.

For daily tasks I'm fine, but have a challenge with zippers and buttons, taking a ticket out of a parking lot machine, and holding something while working on the item with the other hand, such as cleaning a pot. I thought typing would be a major issue, but my middle finger has taken over. I'm tired of wrapping my hand in saran wrap to shower, due to the bandaging and the risk of damaging my skin graphs, but think these dressing will change next week for my next doctor's visit.

"Popeye"

living vicariously
Silver Member
Sorry for your injury, but your courage and recovery are inspiring. :thumbup:

Your thumb, index, and middle fingers are your dexterity. Think of writing.

Your pinky and ring finger are your grip. Think holding a bat.

The reason you lost control of your break is loss of dexterity, not grip.

Your grip fingers will need to compensate for some of that dexterity to recover control. In addition, the remains of the injured fingers have not fully recovered and you will regain some usefulness of them progressively.

I see people talking about their cue grip and I can see they are not using their 4th and 5th digits. I tell them the problem with their grip is they don't have one. LOL! :wink::D Just something that is a common misnomer. Not so important because we all know what we mean and it isn't a medical conversation...most of the time.

Anyway, I think pool is going to be great for your recovery on many levels. :thumbup:

I look forward to hearing of your success in your recovery in general and your recovery of skills at the table. :)

Interesting, that makes so much sense. I haven't played since I shot the vid on Sunday, but plan to play tomorrow and the next day for a few hours. I find my index finger is a hindrance rather than a help, but time will tell. There is a hand surgery I may do where they remove my whole index nub and knuckle to make my hand look more "normal". It will also help with it not getting caught on stuff, since it serves no real purpose, but that discussion will be 6-9 months from now. I know if I go that route my grip will be smaller. Thanks so much for this info.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am very sorry to hear of your accident. But as for your pool game, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. You've just eliminated the two fingers that are the most responsible for twisting the cue --- the culprits responsible for missed shots all over the globe.

You just have to get used to a different feel, but I think you will be very pleased with how deadly straight your stroke will become.

I have often recommended to some players I've worked with to lighten up on the first two fingers, but most of them don't have the courage to do it because of the dramatic difference in feel. I made the change in my own game and I'm a much better player for it. You will be fine.

"Popeye"

living vicariously
Silver Member
I am very sorry to hear of your accident. But as for your pool game, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. You've just eliminated the two fingers that are the most responsible for twisting the cue --- the culprits responsible for missed shots all over the globe.

You just have to get used to a different feel, but I think you will be very pleased with how deadly straight your stroke will become.

I have often recommended to some players I've worked with to lighten up on the first two fingers, but most of them don't have the courage to do it because of the dramatic difference in feel. I made the change in my own game and I'm a much better player for it. You will be fine.

Thanks for the encouragement! I got the stitches out this week, that was fun.. not. Still have the bandaging, hope to get rid of them in a week or two.

I put about 2hrs in over the weekend and feeling better with my game. For control, I'm gripping farther back which is really helping, but my index finger feels so odd that this feeling gets in my head sometimes when I shoot, and I don't follow through properly. My break is still hurting, but this will be take time!

On a interesting note, my buddy on my pool team, who goes by "Top", a solid player in ATL noted that Hennessee also has missing fingers on this stroke hand and we all know he plays lights out. After some research, he lost his last two on the pinky side. Here's a YouTube Video with a interview question that brought this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60q04fwPZ_k&feature=youtu.be&t=130
This just gives me more evidence that this is just a bump in the road!

"Popeye"

living vicariously
Silver Member
Stay strong man...you will overcome this.

Thanks. Played league tonight and had to win 4 before he won 2. I ran after he broke dry, then ran out my break, ran after his dry break again and went back and forth on the next one to grind it out. Didn't really notice my hand that much. Felt really good. Break was on point. It was a 8ft, so had more room to lengthen my stroke.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
One thing you may have luck with is a break sleeve like some of the asians use... I will google around and find a photo.. They are hard to find in the states but someone will have them and if not I will get the material in the proper size to have one made... The good ones are actually more than just a cloth sleeve and have some structure to them to keep the cue online.... I have about a dozen samples of materials but I never got around to having any made as the fad came and went fast in the states... Someone came out with like a $50 sleeve that is neat but I am not sure if it would be better than what was out.... Think chinese handcuffs......

magicrat69210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awsome that ur back at it........Im sure after several hours of practice ur coordination of ur hand will adapt to its current state......just keep at it and everything will fall into place sooner or later

"Popeye"

living vicariously
Silver Member
Awsome that ur back at it........Im sure after several hours of practice ur coordination of ur hand will adapt to its current state......just keep at it and everything will fall into place sooner or later

I played really well on Monday, so I think I'm on track. Thanks to everyone for thier support. Just looking forward to get these badges off.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
30 years ago, some of a pro, Hawaiian Brian's students used to hold the butt with the last 2 fingers. It put the contact point on the CB a bit further back when the shaft was level and not dropping - this could help.

Can you break with using the affected hand as the bridge and the other hand on the butt for power?

Be well and get well.