Anal?

coastydad

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK fess up! Who else out there is anal as hell about their cues? I am for one, and not afraid to admit it. After I play I burnish and shape the tip (back to dime radius), wipe the whole cue down with a soft cotton cloth, inspect entire cue. At least weekly apply Q wax, at least two coats, to finished parts of butt and shafts. Apply Q was to open grain at the end of the shafts at least monthly. I always use joint protectors and store the cue as vertical in a quality case. The only time the cue is left in my car is for the time it takes to get to or from the pool room.

landshark77

------blank------
Silver Member
coastydad said:
OK fess up! Who else out there is anal as hell about their cues?
I dunno if this counts but it irks me when people don't know how to chalk their cue. The blue line doesn't belong there, and if your cue has this line then please don't ask to borrow mine.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
landshark77 said:
I dunno if this counts but it irks me when people don't know how to chalk their cue. The blue line doesn't belong there, and if your cue has this line then please don't ask to borrow mine.

I give you a Thumbs up on that one. I hate that too.

coastydad

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
landshark77 said:

Oh Baby! That counts a lot! Can't stand that either.

NewGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
landshark77 said:

I'm slightly anal about my cue. I clean it completely with the Q-care products about once a month. If I'm having a good run though, I'm superstitious about cleaning my cue.

I'm not a big fan of the blue line either, but sometimes I can't help it. What if the only chalk available is well used and very deep? I know, I know... start carrying my own chalk. I've started to recenlty, but I always seem to lose my chalk.

Al-fahl Amir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
landshark77 said:

If you ever look at Earl Strickland's cues he has a blue line all the way around his ferrule.

Last edited:

Egg McDogit

street player
Silver Member
I don't baby my cue. It has blue rings on the ferrule. It's pretty dinged up and has some nicks and scrapes in it. I power break with it too - and yeah it bends into the table. Oh yeah and I keep it in the trunk of my car year round...it's still straight though.

That being said anyone wanna buy it? Oh and while I don't have it, LS you mind if I borrow yours since you're not too far away? Thanks, I really appreciate it, you're great!

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
amc4 said:
If you ever look at Earl Strickland's cues he has a blue line all the way around his ferrell.
Then he better not ask Landshark to borrow her cue!!! :D

mapman72

landshark77 said:

I used to be very, very careful not to get any chalk on my ferrule. However, since I've gotten a predator cue, I've noticed that the ferrule constantly picks up chalk and no matter how I try to clean it or prevent the chalk from building up, it does. It became so bad that I asked a local cuemaker to change the ferrule and he told me that he couldn't. He said that Predator shafts were designed in such a way that they have to be sent back to predator to have a ferrule replaced. Has anyone else heard of this or have a similar problem?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I'm anal too.
I hate people who grab the chalk after they miss.
What the hell?
Do you need to chalk back to your chair?
How 'bout powder all over the place?

mapman72 said:
I used to be very, very careful not to get any chalk on my ferrule. However, since I've gotten a predator cue, I've noticed that the ferrule constantly picks up chalk and no matter how I try to clean it or prevent the chalk from building up, it does. It became so bad that I asked a local cuemaker to change the ferrule and he told me that he couldn't. He said that Predator shafts were designed in such a way that they have to be sent back to predator to have a ferrule replaced. Has anyone else heard of this or have a similar problem?

I have a solution to your problem...hit it with a hammer. (the bigger, the better)

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
mapman72 said:
Yes. Predator ferrules are so soft and porous, they turn blue easily.
You can't replace it. If you do, you will lose that lightweight end of Preds.
More cueball squirt if you get it replaced.

B

Bruce S. de Lis

coastydad said:
OK fess up! Who else out there is anal as hell about their cues? I am for one, and not afraid to admit it. After I play I burnish and shape the tip (back to dime radius), wipe the whole cue down with a soft cotton cloth, inspect entire cue. At least weekly apply Q wax, at least two coats, to finished parts of butt and shafts. Apply Q was to open grain at the end of the shafts at least monthly. I always use joint protectors and store the cue as vertical in a quality case. The only time the cue is left in my car is for the time it takes to get to or from the pool room.

I am as ANAL as you with the EXCEPTION of the Q Waxing....My Cues cost GOOD MO$EY, and I had to work for the MO$EY....

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've got a friend that calls me inspector gadget because I carry my cue tools in my case.

I've got extra chalk because I leave the worn pieces behind. My chals are not a cube with a hole through then, as I rub the chalk on from the side rather than try and drill a hole through it. Once its low, I leave it.

Tip tools, pocket chalkers, mushroom trimmers, que slicks, hand towels, scotch brite, leather burnisher, laser pointer........what else?

I guess I qualify :)

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
drivermaker said:
Whoa...I was shocked as hell to see a different name under the thread title instead of Marissa, AMC4, or Jude.
We were starting to wonder where you were. :p

JoeyInCali said:
We were starting to wonder where you were. :p

Riding my bike for 7 miles to keep the heart ticking soundly...Just to stay in harmony with the thread...I was hauling ASS.

Now I have to go practice my golf...don't let this thread get out of hand, I'm counting on you Joey. :D

Guru

outta stroke
Silver Member
drivermaker said:
Whoa...I was shocked as hell to see a different name under the thread title instead of Marissa, AMC4, or Jude.
That's low, er hitting below the belt, er, a shot in the back, crap, forget it. I've got to go.

I like to keep my cues like new. Speaking of that. What's the deal with all these "Never chalked" descriptions. Do people really believe that? does it matter even remotely if it's been perfectly cleaned and tipped? how would you know? Damn, I think I have a new pet peeve.