Jay Helfert's NEW book • ***** SLAPPED

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
This is an excerpt from Jay's new book. This new book is broader in scope than his first one and Jay in his own "the way it was" style, lays it down just like it happened. His ability to remember names, faces and facts is incredible...... Enjoy..... Merry Christmas..............from Jay Helfert.....

"***** SLAPPED"

Yep, you heard me right, I got seriously ***** slapped when I was a mere lad of eighteen. It turned out to be one of the best lessons of my life, delivered by one Eddie Henderson, a massive man who owned several bars, and ran with gangsters all his life. Just another good ole' boy in Dayton, Ohio in the 60's.

I was just out of high school and currently advancing my education at Wink's Billiards, a dungeon of a poolroom hidden away in the bowels of a shopping center. There were no signs on the street to let passers-bye know it even existed. The owner (Pappy Winkler) preferred it that way. It was an outlaw's lair, a place to meet up, socialize, and then organize their next caper.

As for me I loved rubbing shoulders with the thugs and ne'r-do-wells of Dayton society. These were the guys who occasionally got their names in the paper for all the wrong reasons. They would bail out of jail and strut in the poolroom, press clippings in hand, proud of their most recent foray on the dark side. "Man arrested on the roof of bank." "Two held on suspicion of auto theft." "Suspect in attack now in custody." These headlines were the proof of their accomplishments, and they wanted their peers to know it was them who garnered the accolades.

Of course I was not one of them. I was a kid from a well to do family who liked to play pool. I was tolerated there, as long as I kept my distance. The pool players with some skills were more accepted as contemporaries by the outlaws. They had something to offer that I did not. An ability to fleece someone, which gained them respect in these circles. Just by playing pool with the real pool players, I could gain limited access to the little knots of men who were notorious in the community for their bad deeds. I wanted to hear their stories straight from the horse's mouth. Shame on me.

Little by little I gained acceptance. I had become a fixture at Wink's, the rich kid who could be seen hitting balls day and night, trying to learn the game. I was an insignificant piece of the surroundings, someone who blended in, barely worthy of notice. But oh, did I notice them; The Stepp Gang and all their cohorts, the most dangerous men in Southwestern Ohio and the bane of law enforcement everywhere. And I was only a few feet away from them. COOL!

From time to time I would hear snippets of conversation about various crimes and misdeeds. They tended to ignore my presence, like a fly on the wall. My critical error was that I would take these little bits of information and pass it along to others, appearing to be in the know about something. Foolish me! My day of reckoning soon came, in the appearance of the aforementioned Mr. Henderson, aka The Hulk!

I was minding my own business one day at Wink's, sitting at the counter engaged in conversation with another young fool, when the shadow of this giant engulfed me. He glared down at me, "Are you Jay, Jay Helfert?"
I didn't know he even knew my name. "Yes, that's me." "Stand up he bellowed." So I did, quickly. BAM!, I was on the ground, more stunned than hurt. It all happened so fast. Henderson loomed over me, "DON'T EVER TALK ABOUT ME AGAIN TO ANYONE! UNDERSTAND?" I could only shake my head yes, as I was now struck speechless. He turned and walked away, done with me. I was still on the floor, half lying and half sitting.

My mind was trying to unravel what had just transpired. Not so easy as my head was beginning to throb. Slowly it dawned on me that I had retold something the previous day that I had overheard him talking about earlier in the day. The word had gotten back to him that I was talking about him. And he didn't like it. So he decided to let me know in no uncertain terms what he thought it. Guess what, I got the message, loud and clear!

I got to my feet and without a word, slunk out of the poolroom, headed home to mend my wounds. It was only after getting in my car that I saw the extent of the damage. There was an imprint of his massive paw etched in red on my face! I don't think that hand print or the pain that went with it subsided for several hours.

That was day I learned to mind my own business in the poolroom. And my teacher was Eddie Henderson, a master instructor of "street" psychology. They don't teach that in any schools. I never forgot that lesson.
---------------------------------------------------------

There's lots more to come. Poker and pool escapades non-stop......

01rkclassic

Cell - 937-554-5637
Silver Member
Wow,Bill Step and company and Winks are still talked about around here!Gotta get me a copy of Jay's new book.

philw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is an excerpt from Jay's new book. This new book is broader in scope than his first one and Jay in his own "the way it was" style, lays it down just like it happened. His ability to remember names, faces and facts is incredible...... Enjoy..... Merry Christmas..............from Jay Helfert.....

"***** SLAPPED"

Yep, you heard me right, I got seriously ***** slapped when I was a mere lad of eighteen. It turned out to be one of the best lessons of my life, delivered by one Eddie Henderson, a massive man who owned several bars, and ran with gangsters all his life. Just another good ole' boy in Dayton, Ohio in the 60's.

I was just out of high school and currently advancing my education at Wink's Billiards, a dungeon of a poolroom hidden away in the bowels of a shopping center. There were no signs on the street to let passers-bye know it even existed. The owner (Pappy Winkler) preferred it that way. It was an outlaw's lair, a place to meet up, socialize, and then organize their next caper.

As for me I loved rubbing shoulders with the thugs and ne'r-do-wells of Dayton society. These were the guys who occasionally got their names in the paper for all the wrong reasons. They would bail out of jail and strut in the poolroom, press clippings in hand, proud of their most recent foray on the dark side. "Man arrested on the roof of bank." "Two held on suspicion of auto theft." "Suspect in attack now in custody." These headlines were the proof of their accomplishments, and they wanted their peers to know it was them who garnered the accolades.

Of course I was not one of them. I was a kid from a well to do family who liked to play pool. I was tolerated there, as long as I kept my distance. The pool players with some skills were more accepted as contemporaries by the outlaws. They had something to offer that I did not. An ability to fleece someone, which gained them respect in these circles. Just by playing pool with the real pool players, I could gain limited access to the little knots of men who were notorious in the community for their bad deeds. I wanted to hear their stories straight from the horse's mouth. Shame on me.

Little by little I gained acceptance. I had become a fixture at Wink's, the rich kid who could be seen hitting balls day and night, trying to learn the game. I was an insignificant piece of the surroundings, someone who blended in, barely worthy of notice. But oh, did I notice them; The Stepp Gang and all their cohorts, the most dangerous men in Southwestern Ohio and the bane of law enforcement everywhere. And I was only a few feet away from them. COOL!

From time to time I would hear snippets of conversation about various crimes and misdeeds. They tended to ignore my presence, like a fly on the wall. My critical error was that I would take these little bits of information and pass it along to others, appearing to be in the know about something. Foolish me! My day of reckoning soon came, in the appearance of the aforementioned Mr. Henderson, aka The Hulk!

I was minding my own business one day at Wink's, sitting at the counter engaged in conversation with another young fool, when the shadow of this giant engulfed me. He glared down at me, "Are you Jay, Jay Helfert?"
I didn't know he even knew my name. "Yes, that's me." "Stand up he bellowed." So I did, quickly. BAM!, I was on the ground, more stunned than hurt. It all happened so fast. Henderson loomed over me, "DON'T EVER TALK ABOUT ME AGAIN TO ANYONE! UNDERSTAND?" I could only shake my head yes, as I was now struck speechless. He turned and walked away, done with me. I was still on the floor, half lying and half sitting.

My mind was trying to unravel what had just transpired. Not so easy as my head was beginning to throb. Slowly it dawned on me that I had retold something the previous day that I had overheard him talking about earlier in the day. The word had gotten back to him that I was talking about him. And he didn't like it. So he decided to let me know in no uncertain terms what he thought it. Guess what, I got the message, loud and clear!

I got to my feet and without a word, slunk out of the poolroom, headed home to mend my wounds. It was only after getting in my car that I saw the extent of the damage. There was an imprint of his massive paw etched in red on my face! I don't think that hand print or the pain that went with it subsided for several hours.

That was day I learned to mind my own business in the poolroom. And my teacher was Eddie Henderson, a master instructor of "street" psychology. They don't teach that in any schools. I never forgot that lesson.
---------------------------------------------------------

There's lots more to come. Poker and pool escapades non-stop......
Bailey? George Bailey? Bam!!!!!! Don't ever talk that way to my wife again!
Sound familiar?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Joey! I asked him to do this since I was unsure how to take an excerpt from my book and attach it here. The new book is over half completed and the completion date is probably in March. This book will have more stories and fewer photos. There will be some stories that are not pool related. Poker, gambling and various other stuff will be included.
By the way the name of this story was "B-tch Slapped".

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Joey! I asked him to do this since I was unsure how to take an excerpt from my book and attach it here. The new book is over half completed and the completion date is probably in March. This book will have more stories and fewer photos. There will be some stories that are not pool related. Poker, gambling and various other stuff will be included.

Just put a picture of Shanelle on the front cover and I guarantee that your new book will sell like hot cakes! ;)

Happy holidays Jay!

champ2107

Banned
i bet lou fignewton has a ton of stories called b**** slapped and i bet he could also keep us all entertained for the next decade sharing them with us :thumbup:

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member

Can't wait for the new one to come out Jay.

I knew to mind my own business growing up in Ohio as well. Luckily it didn't involve me getting my face hand tanned.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member

Wee bit of irony in this somewhere.

I cannot wait to read book 3 about the time Eddie Henderson wheeled up in a wheelchair and clubbed Jay in the head with a walking stick for writing about him in a book. :p

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wee bit of irony in this somewhere.

I cannot wait to read book 3 about the time Eddie Henderson wheeled up in a wheelchair and clubbed Jay in the head with a walking stick for writing about him in a book. :p

That's what I was thinking.

Shame he's gonna have to be told again!!

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm definitely in for a few copies (I always buy my dad a copy of these books that come out).

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's what I was thinking.

Shame he's gonna have to be told again!!

Ha Ha! I suspect that at this point in time, an 80 something Henderson would love receiving the recognition. I'd be the first to hand him a copy if he's still alive. Funny how time and age can change things.

I remember how Cornbread Red's attitude changed after I wrote about him. Before the story, which first appeared in the old Billiard News, he barely knew who I was. After it came out, he treated me like his best friend. He always had a big smile and a hello for me from then on.

Like anywhere else in life, you have to know how to pick your spots wisely. :cool:

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
great writing Jay... maybe you should go offer to help Tony Palma finish "9-Ball the Movie". From what I've seen, it will be a a low-level bomb, not even to the level of "Pool Hall Junkies", which was not a masterpiece of writing or plot.

Sign me up for a copy of your book...

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
great writing Jay... maybe you should go offer to help Tony Palma finish "9-Ball the Movie". From what I've seen, it will be a a low-level bomb, not even to the level of "Pool Hall Junkies", which was not a masterpiece of writing or plot.

Sign me up for a copy of your book...

I REALLY liked the chapter "WALK ON THE WILD SIDE"! :dance::dance::dance: