How to Convince Your Spouse....

coryjeb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So... I get ready to pull the trigger on a nice Josey from Marcus, let the wife know as a courtesy (probably first mistake) and start a war. This was unexpected, as we are in no financial trouble or anything and have disposable income. She says "why do you need another cue"... open ended, she didn't want an answer. I keep a $40 dufferin sneaky at the bar I shoot at, which I like just fine and a few other lower end production type cues, nothing fancy or expensive. Her argument is that I like my cheap Dufferin, why do I need a $xxx cue. Of course, I have no quick reply that makes sense.

So, what I'm getting at is this... I really have no other "hobbies" so it's not like I drop tons of money into golf, hunting, ect. Those of you that move cues, Do you keep the wife out of it completely? So filthy rich it doesn't matter? Tell her to just p*ss off? Any comments/advice/tricks are welcome, BTW I'm man enough to hear "don't be a p*ssy", which sure I'll get a few...:)

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
Tell her it is a slight investment. So what if you drop 700 on it. If you need to dump it in a year or so you can do it quick and lose maybe 100 on it, or you could hold on to it and get your $$ back plus some. You only really get smacked in the knuckles when you begin trading down over and over.

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Or..........tell her you won either a weekend at the Playboy mansion or this expensive cue. She'll be happy to see the cue.:D

PKM

OB-1 Kenobi
Silver Member
When she makes a comment about it, just say "whatever" and walk away

MasterClass

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PKM said:
When she makes a comment about it, just say "whatever" and walk away
Thats mean....

Why not try this. Try to find out if there is something she likes or have been wanting to buy but could not bear to spend the money. Bring her out to buy it! Then perhaps it will become easier to buy your cue.

av84fun

Banned
coryjeb said:
So... I get ready to pull the trigger on a nice Josey from Marcus, let the wife know as a courtesy (probably first mistake) and start a war. This was unexpected, as we are in no financial trouble or anything and have disposable income. She says "why do you need another cue"... open ended, she didn't want an answer. I keep a $40 dufferin sneaky at the bar I shoot at, which I like just fine and a few other lower end production type cues, nothing fancy or expensive. Her argument is that I like my cheap Dufferin, why do I need a $xxx cue. Of course, I have no quick reply that makes sense.

So, what I'm getting at is this... I really have no other "hobbies" so it's not like I drop tons of money into golf, hunting, ect. Those of you that move cues, Do you keep the wife out of it completely? So filthy rich it doesn't matter? Tell her to just p*ss off? Any comments/advice/tricks are welcome, BTW I'm man enough to hear "don't be a p*ssy", which sure I'll get a few...:)

Similar to another poster, just offer to have her spend the same money on anything she wants.

Or...threaten to withhold sex....Yep...that oughtta do it!

(-:

thedude

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tell her you got some bad news and good news. The good news first, you bought a really nice cue. Bad news, your having an affair. Or Good news honey, I finally have the confidence come out of the closet and be free about my sexuality. Bad news, I spent a lot of bones on a new cue...

Seriously, you got to get what you want before the wedding date... then you can at least threaten to back out of the wedding... Man, I'm full of horrible advice. I'm glad my fiance doesn't check this forum... :)

Last edited:

asn130

Night owl
Silver Member
Does she buy expensive shoes? How many does she have?

Does she go to the nail salon? If so, how often?

What about expensive purses? Jewelry?

From what i've seen, most women spend more on stuff than guys.

If that fails, tell her you've decided not to buy the cue, but you've taken up fishing & now you plan on buying a $20k bass boat & $5k worth of fishing supplies.

Or tell her to deal with it.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
coryjeb said:
So... I get ready to pull the trigger on a nice Josey from Marcus, let the wife know as a courtesy (probably first mistake) and start a war. This was unexpected, as we are in no financial trouble or anything and have disposable income.
If it's just "another" cue, wait and get it for your birthday or father's day, or some other holiday. There's no reason to have marital turmoil over one more cue.

As for me, the system my wife and I use is pretty simple since we don't have kids yet. We have 3 piles of money: "ours" (which is the big pile that is used for all the bills), "hers" (which she uses on anything she wants) and "mine" (which is use on anything I want). I don't question her purchases and she doesn't question mine. If I want another cue, I just get it. If she wants another pair of Blahniks, she gets them. It makes for happier days for us ;)

Seems like you could set up the same type system since it seems like you have some discretionary money. Just split it down the middle. Oh, one other thing you should consider: take 10% off the top of your discretionary fund for investing - that's in addition to your other investments. You can never save too much...

And one more thing I've learned - don't compare shoes and hair and nails and such to a cue. All her "stuff" is for you (to look good for you anyway). And don't compare it to things for the house (tables, chairs, art, etc.) A cue doesn't have any overlap with her or the house, so it's considered a selfish purchase. Guess how I figured that out.

-td

Last edited:

arsenius

Nothing ever registers...
Silver Member
MasterClass said:
Thats mean....

Why not try this. Try to find out if there is something she likes or have been wanting to buy but could not bear to spend the money. Bring her out to buy it! Then perhaps it will become easier to buy your cue.
The price of his new cue just doubled!!!!

Varney, I love that first comment of yours!

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
td873 said:
If it's just "another" cue, wait and get it for your birthday or father's day, or some other holiday. There's no reason to have marital turmoil over one more cue.

As for me, the system my wife and I use is pretty simple since we don't have kids yet. We have 3 piles of money: "ours" (which is the big pile that is used for all the bills), "hers" (which she uses on anything she wants) and "mine" (which is use on anything I want). I don't question her purchases and she doesn't question mine. If I want another cue, I just get it. If she wants another pair of Blahniks, she gets them. It makes for happier days for us ;)

Seems like you could set up the same type system since it seems like you have some discretionary money. Just split it down the middle. Oh, one other thing you should consider: take 10% off the top of your discretionary fund for investing - that's in addition to your other investments. You can never save too much...

And one more thing I've learned - don't compare shoes and hair and nails and such to a cue. All her "stuff" is for you (to look good for you anyway). And don't compare it to things for the house (tables, chairs, art, etc.) A cue doesn't have any overlap with her or the house, so it's considered a selfish purchase. Guess how I figured that out.

-td
Yes this system has worked for my wife and I for over 40 years. One account for the bills, she has an account for her stuff and I have an account for my things. I can't ever remember fighting over money. Johnnyt

DeepBanks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's gonna leave a mark . . .

av84fun said:
Or...threaten to withhold sex....Yep...that oughtta do it!

(-:

Tough strategy . . .

Attachments

• Game Over.jpg
    Game Over.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 703

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
You

are complicating things, 3 accounts. When I was married, back in the dark ages, I paid all the 'big' bills, house payment, insurance, car payment, big items for the house (riding mower, landscaping), vacations, kids stuff, and she paid utility bills, her car payment, food.

and whoever had it for anything for the kids. We both worked.

It worked out pretty well.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Snapshot9 said:
are complicating things, 3 accounts. When I was married, back in the dark ages, I paid all the 'big' bills, house payment, insurance, car payment, big items for the house (riding mower, landscaping), vacations, kids stuff, and she paid utility bills, her car payment, food.

and whoever had it for anything for the kids. We both worked.

It worked out pretty well.

We split it up as even as possible. She was an RN (now a insurance ex) and I made money in many different ways. If a new weekly or monthly house bill came in we sat down and traded bills until it was about even again. Johnnyt

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
If the bills are paid and all of your other financial obligations are taken care of (you said this was disposable income) then why the drama? Buy the cue and when it arrives, just say "Check out this awesome cue I got" If she flips out, tell her she's being mighty selfish.
It sounds to me like your courtesy announcement was taken to be asking for permission. She's not your mother and you don't have to ask if you want something with your money(as long as we're not talking about hookers). Do what you're going to do.

Banger

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Buy the Cue, and do not tell her. When she find out apologies as they apparently will be easier for you to do than ask permission.
flyingbrick.gif

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Women....Women....Women....

If my wife asked, "why do you need another cue", I would just glare at her with an utter look of disgust on my face. She would then turn away and walk off never to mention it again. That is when you know you're a man!

Ok, the true story. When I bought my Southwest and Klein over a month ago I promised my wife a trip to Italy this summer, which will run more than the cost of both cues....LOL.