What has happened to quality at Schon?

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hate to say but I'm in agreement with the quality is on the Milk Carton. Had to return a new shaft as it would not tighten correctly. Also I bought an H6 years ago. The wrap is not tight. No excuse. As for mistakes happen. Poor quality/quality control is not a mistake.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Thats what I was thinking.. it’s not thier job to make sure a mezz shaft fits properly. If their shaft fits correctly they made it correctly.

Quote Goldcrown: Hate to say but I'm in agreement with the quality is on the Milk Carton. Had to return a new shaft as it would not tighten correctly. Also I bought an H6 years ago. The wrap is not tight. No excuse. As for mistakes happen. Poor quality/quality control is not a mistake.

Trob, No one is suggesting that Schon should make sure than someone else's shaft should fit their cue, that's the job of the other shaft manufacturer. But Schon's, and any other quality cue manufacturer's job, is to manufacture a cue with a pin placed "dead center" so that their customer has shaft replacement options when needed or wanted. Imagine buying the same size replacement tires for your car and discovering that they couldn't fit your car because of the way your car was designed and/or built. :sorry:

Goldcrown, of course, it's little more than common sense. I cannot believe that anyone would defend this as an acceptable manufacturing process for a consumer product. Business 101.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would also point out that Schon cues shine when paired with a low deflection shaft. I remember finding an old post when I first found this forum and the most popular cue choice of pros was Schon/314. If Schon started using a proprietary pin, their market would be gone.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thats what I was thinking.. it’s not thier job to make sure a mezz shaft fits properly. If their shaft fits correctly they made it correctly.
If the pin is off-center, most likely their own shafts, bought after the fact, past and present will not fit correctly, and will have to be custom fit. Is that acceptable/correct? An off-center pin is a serious defect which should not be acceptable IMO:groucho:

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
One thing I don't quite understand in all of this: how come the 2 Schon shafts fit when the joint is off-center? This would mean that they fit in exactly the "tight" position but that they would show "wobble" while you're screwing them on the butt, right?

Both Schon shafts didn't fit the same. If you interchanged them, they were lopsided on the other cue. Only the shafts matched to the butts matched the joints. And the one with the off center pin still has a high side and low side. It's just not as pronounced as with the other maker's shafts.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
If the pin is off-center, most likely their own shafts, bought after the fact, past and present will not fit correctly, and will have to be custom fit. Is that acceptable/correct? An off-center pin is a serious defect which should not be acceptable IMO:groucho:

Exactly. I can't get a single aftermarket shaft to fit the cue. Finally someone gets it....

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member

The shaft fits on my EDC just fine (Mobley apprentice). And a Dufferin conversion. And a Jacoby. And my friend's Schon. Oh, and it fit the Skull cue just fine. So, still think it's not an issue with the joint on the cue?

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
One thing I don't quite understand in all of this: how come the 2 Schon shafts fit when the joint is off-center? This would mean that they fit in exactly the "tight" position but that they would show "wobble" while you're screwing them on the butt, right?

When you screw the cue together, you can clearly see the stainless steel joint "wobbling". No matter what shaft it's threaded into. Plain as day.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In defense of Schon.

They would never drill off center, they are much better than that.

They could have switched suppliers on their Pins, it happened to me three years ago when my normal supplier was out of Pins.

I purchased 20 new pins, installed the first one, tightened the shaft and it lined up great so I sent the cue out. I was informed that the shaft was off center. He sent it back and he was right, it was off center but I know when I drill and bore a hole, it's less than one thousands of an inch off.

I made a video of different Pins a few years ago, same configuration, different manufactures.

Although they all look the same, the 3/8" Flat Faced self centering pins are not all the same (I don't know what Pin was used on the cue the OP wrote about, this is about Pins in general.)

A well manufactured Pin will have less than .001" runout.

The Pins I got on that one order were all .004" off and that is what shows on the shaft once tightened a few times, it most likely will not show the first time you tighten it.

I still have the Pins as a reminder but all 20 are trash and I never told the guy who made them, I simply moved on and watch as others buy his pins.

HINT, buy American made Pins and then check them for runout.

jbullerjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The alignment of the rings has always bothered me.
Here is a $1500 cue.
See the picture from Schon website

Attachments

• B35BB0BF-6AF7-4651-8F72-0A299446B453.jpeg
    B35BB0BF-6AF7-4651-8F72-0A299446B453.jpeg
    30.5 KB · Views: 402

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lets hold off on passing judgement on schon cues
I have ordered 2 or 3 depending on available woods
a
I ordered 2 of the merry widow in maple just to have a cue that I knew played good

when they arrive I will ask Jack Potter to review the cues
He is an expert who actually made the Libra cues

I have no ax to grind,if the cues are not top quality I would
not sell them because as you know I give a full money back
guarantee

So if in the transition from Evan to John a few cues slipped through
the crack that were not up to the high quality that we have grown to expect

I am sure Schon stands behind them,but if a fella complains loud and hard before giving a
company with a great reputation for 30 plus years,then common sense tells me
to hold on wait till the facts are established

for example,I ask that the so called off center drilled cue be sent to me for verification,lets see if there
really is such a cue,then and only then let me forward it to schon and either get it fixed or replaced or
see what they do

You have my word you will get THE CUE BACK<PRETTY SOON

One thing I thought we all knew was the fact Schon has made a great cue for years

The cues have been great to shoot with

Most every good p[layer I ever saw played one for a while

If make the mistake of throwing away our trust in these cues it might be a big mistake

Lets check it out first before we let a few words from people who we don't know that well
ruin a companys reputation

I always thought it fair to give a guy a chance to defend himself
before convicting him,and in spite of these few negative remarks
we have not given schon a chance to speak for himself

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
lets hold off on passing judgement on schon cues
I have ordered 2 or 3 depending on available woods
a
I ordered 2 of the merry widow in maple just to have a cue that I knew played good

when they arrive I will ask Jack Potter to review the cues
He is an expert who actually made the Libra cues

I have no ax to grind,if the cues are not top quality I would
not sell them because as you know I give a full money back
guarantee

So if in the transition from Evan to John a few cues slipped through
the crack that were not up to the high quality that we have grown to expect

I am sure Schon stands behind them,but if a fella complains loud and hard before giving a
company with a great reputation for 30 plus years,then common sense tells me
to hold on wait till the facts are established

for example,I ask that the so called off center drilled cue be sent to me for verification,lets see if there
really is such a cue,then and only then let me forward it to schon and either get it fixed or replaced or
see what they do

You have my word you will get THE CUE BACK<PRETTY SOON

One thing I thought we all knew was the fact Schon has made a great cue for years

The cues have been great to shoot with

Most every good p[layer I ever saw played one for a while

If make the mistake of throwing away our trust in these cues it might be a big mistake

Lets check it out first before we let a few words from people who we don't know that well
ruin a companys reputation

I always thought it fair to give a guy a chance to defend himself
before convicting him,and in spite of these few negative remarks
we have not given schon a chance to speak for himself

with all due respect, Dean, I don't get why you are diminishing the op's first hand report on the cue he received.

and why you are trying to insert yourself in his business saying that he should send the cue to you to verify if there really is a problem and if you determine there is "then and only then" will you send it to Schon.

Wouldn't you feel a little insulted if someone did the same to you?

And did you miss the part where the op said he has built cues and still does work on cues so maybe we can assume he knows when a pin is off center.

I know you have a strong and ongoing relationship with Schon; hey, I've been loving them for quite a while, too. But I believe the op has every right to be disappointed and to write about it here. It's what the az forums are for, sharing opinions and experiences, right?

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread made me bring up this Schon-related episode. Within the last 6mos. a friend purchased a new 4pt Schon cue, not sure of model #. Overall the cue seems well made BUT, where the ferrule and shaft meet and where the butt-cap and sleeve meet there is a definite gap/ridge at the join line. Its like they skipped a step or two in finishing the cue. NEVER used to see this on Schons. FWIW, the cue in question was returned and fixed but for 850bux this should never happen.

jbullerjr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, now I can't "unsee" it every time I look at a Scön cue... ;)

Back in the late 90’s a friend had a small windfall and bought himself a $3200 Schon.
The cue had a TON of inlays but, the rings didn’t line up with anything.
I didn’t have the heart to point it out to him.

orion21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wow - now I'm pissed. Just checked my new STL9, same issue with the rings. Also the same issue with the pics on the website. Thats super pathetic imo, and takes about 20 seconds of attention while building.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Y'all think you're upset. You should see how off the specks are on my linen wrap. :shakesfist:

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Y'all think you're upset. You should see how off the specks are on my linen wrap. :shakesfist:

Hate when that happens :mad:...try standing the cue in a corner overnight, butt end up, they should go back in place. :wink:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
5/16 14 piloted joints aren't exactly the most versatile joinery.
It's not like grabbing a flat-face big flat bottom screw joinery.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are complaining an aftermarket shaft won't fit a Schon? Does the Schon shaft fit?