WTF! Am I SOL?

JReuter21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got my table covered today. 860hr on it. Some of the rail rubbers were a little loose, so the installer put some contact cement on them to tighten them back up. As he was getting ready to cover them a few minutes later he sat it down on the already covered table, not realizing the cement wasn't all the way dry.

It got right in the middle of my newly laid simonis. He quickly put some sort of goop remover on it to try to get it up. It lightened the spot but it's definitely still there. Then he proceeded to tell me, well about all I can do is say I'm really sorry about that.

So am I just completely screwed or is there anyway to get this up or at least lighten the spot a little? Thanks

realkingcobra

Silver Member
First of all, he should have done all the rail work BEFORE he recovered the slate. Second, he should replace the bed cloth at no extra charge, or give you the cost of the cloth back, you don't pay for that kind of service, it's free. At the very least, he should have gave you back some of the cost you paid if you'd have agreed to it.

Glen

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WTF Am I SOL

I would not of paid him. I would of told him to replace the felt that he just ruined or he could take it off the table and leave. He is not an installer or he would of done the rails first as Glen stated. I would let all the local players know who he is so he doesn't mess up another table. I am surprised he didn't replace the felt immediately.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Oh Man, I feel sorry for you Bud. I think that at one time or another, all of us have run into shoddy workmanship and have been whooped. I know that I have, many times.

Is there no pride or responsibility left anywhere these days.

I know that if I mentioned acetone, Glen will kick my butt all over the board. If there was any way to take that stain out, Glen would know.

The only reason that I mentioned Acetone is because I glue my fingers together frequently. Unfortunately, Acetone will also take the dye out of that pretty blue cloth as well.

I would call the guy up and tell him that you want the cloth replaced. When the job is done, say thanks, I appreciate the good service and shake his hand.
If he argues with you, tell him that you want to show him something as you walk toward the door. If he asks you what you want to show him, tell him,"the door".

Tell him that he can keep the stained piece for scrap purposes.

Last edited:

JReuter21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't explain how mad I was. I wish I would have handled it differently. I really didn't know what to do. He's like 75 years old, so I guess I didn't want to lose it on him. I was livid on the inside though.

Does anyone know anything I can do now or do I just have to live with it? It doesn't seem to be affecting the roll at all just a terrible eye sore. And of course it's right in the middle of the table.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all, he should have done all the rail work BEFORE he recovered the slate. Second, he should replace the bed cloth at no extra charge, or give you the cost of the cloth back, you don't pay for that kind of service, it's free. At the very least, he should have gave you back some of the cost you paid if you'd have agreed to it.

Glen

You think the installer should have replaced the cloth (I agree completely) and not charged him for the cloth at all? That doesn't make sense, you paid for new cloth, you should get new cloth - but not free?

Maybe I misunderstood??

danieldakota53

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lint free cloth lightly misted with wd-40 will remove contact cement, it will take some light and a lot of rubbing, then wash with a damp cloth, not wet. I have done this on my green cloth, but it was a few years old, your cloth being new , may bleed a little. Just do not spray the wd-40 directly onto the table, hold away and very lightly mist your rag. working slowly.

RackemBilliards

Player, Room Owner
Silver Member
Does anyone know anything I can do now or do I just have to live with it? It doesn't seem to be affecting the roll at all just a terrible eye sore. And of course it's right in the middle of the table.[/QUOTE]

In my opinion, the bed cloth should be replaced at his cost. He made a stupid mistake. It happens. What you have now, though, is not what you asked for and not what you paid for. It sucks for him, but just saying he's sorry is not owning up to his mistake. You will never be happy with it the way it is, and glue spots look worse over time as chalk dust and dirt stick to the glue and make it darker.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
to the op;

where the installer said "all I can do is say I'm sorry" was your opportunity to say 'no, there's more you can do, and that is, correct the problem.'

if he is holding himself out at a professional table mechanic and he did an unprofessional job, it's on him to get it right. his age shouldn't matter if he's still out doing the work.

I def would get an agreement with him before doing any attempts at fixing the glue stain myself, just to avoit him possibly saying you ruined it.

call him.

let us know how it goes.

gl

best,
brian kc

JReuter21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like that idea of contacting a dry cleaner for suggestions. I wouldn't have thought of that. I'll definitely be doing that today. I have a feeling I'm screwed. Wish I would have not let him leave yesterday. Damnit!!!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the great joys of playing pool is the physical beauty of the game. And at no time is that beauty greater than when a table has been newly recovered and the balls sit there gleaming in all their geometric gorgeousness. You have been cheated out of the pleasure of having a nice, pristine cloth on your table. I'd call him back and insist on a new cloth.

Lou Figueroa

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Glen

Dude I'm an amateur at covering tables and even I know that lol I leave the old cloth on as a work bench so I don't scratch the wood on the rails. The bed is last thing done.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got my table covered today. 860hr on it. Some of the rail rubbers were a little loose, so the installer put some contact cement on them to tighten them back up. As he was getting ready to cover them a few minutes later he sat it down on the already covered table, not realizing the cement wasn't all the way dry.

It got right in the middle of my newly laid simonis. He quickly put some sort of goop remover on it to try to get it up. It lightened the spot but it's definitely still there. Then he proceeded to tell me, well about all I can do is say I'm really sorry about that.

So am I just completely screwed or is there anyway to get this up or at least lighten the spot a little? Thanks

How good a table guy was he? I would be skeptical about the job he did on the rails or the whole job for that matter if he is that big an idiot as to do that. The best "I am sorry" is $$$$$. He can throw in his labor for free and be happy he is not having to replace the whole cloth. In reality it probably means nothing as to the play of the cloth and may not even be visible in a short time but you paid for a job and he didn't not do the job completely to your satisfaction.

I don't know when this was done or if you already paid him but you need to tell him you are not, happy, put the ball in his court and see what he says. Don't raise your voice or anything, you don't need to you are in the right. Also, in that kind of business there is a lot of word of mouth, he will worry about it I am sure and want to make it right. I don't think this reaches the level of asking him to do the whole job over but you should not have to pay full price.

JReuter21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I definitely wont be recommending him to anyone. He did the job yesterday, finished about 2pm.

Ironically I have been in the ask a mechanic forum for the last week trying to find someone in my area to do the job. Literally could find NO ONE. Only 2 guys in the state that anyone knew of, both 1-3 hours away and didnt have time to get here any time soon. I had this cloth sitting in my house stairing at me for over a week now and my old cloth was TERRIBLE. I couldnt take it anymore, and knew this guy had been doing it for a couple decades on the bars in town so I gave in and called him up on Saturday. He told me he could be there the next day at 10am and it would be $100. Sounded great. Got what I paid for I guess? Pretty sure I still overpaid....

Ill snap some more pics today when I get home from work and post them if you guys dont mind. Let me know how the rest of the job looks other than the stain. I did notice a couple of the rails on the corner pockets have a crease where he folded it. None on the corner pockets.

Being this is my first table and first time getting new cloth, I dont even know what else to look for, as in things that are commonly F'd up when people install.

Any suggestions on what else I can look for?

Thanks again guys. AZB has been amazing in getting me on my way with my first table.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You think the installer should have replaced the cloth (I agree completely) and not charged him for the cloth at all? That doesn't make sense, you paid for new cloth, you should get new cloth - but not free?

Maybe I misunderstood??

Meaning either the installer replaces the bed cloth, which is going to cost him another cloth, or offer to take the cost of the cloth off the bill if that would satisfy the customer in a way that he could live with the glue stain.

At the time the glue was noticed on the bed cloth, it should have been removed with duct tape by sticking the duct tape to the glue stain and pulling it up and off. The glue lays on the surface of the cloth and is easy to remove that way....until its been thined out by a solvent and penatrated the weave in which case...it's to late to do anything at that point in time.

Glen

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meaning either the installer replaces the bed cloth, which is going to cost him another cloth, or offer to take the cost of the cloth off the bill if that would satisfy the customer in a way that he could live with the glue stain.

At the time the glue was noticed on the bed cloth, it should have been removed with duct tape by sticking the duct tape to the glue stain and pulling it up and off. The glue lays on the surface of the cloth and is easy to remove that way....until its been thined out by a solvent and penatrated the weave in which case...it's to late to do anything at that point in time.

Glen

That's laying down some knowledge right there.. Stuff you can't learn In A how to cover a table book! I'll remember that ... Hopefully I won't do anything that stupid lol

JReuter21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just called my local dry cleaner. They recommended Tech stain remover. Obviously said they couldnt guarantee it but said they use it with success.

Anyone used this or have any helpful insight?