Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 90 years young plus

Votes: 3 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I am curious what the age is of AZB Member, as Pool seen not too popular around the younger generation.

No this poll will be blind, no one will know you say 46-50, etc.

Last edited:

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm 65.
I don't know if pool has become less "popular" with the younger crowd, or if we're seeing a confluence of:
Greater variety in their line of sight.
Pool is less "immediately live & available for consumption" as an entertainment medium. This is definitely a "right now or move on" environment in the electronic world. Increasingly so even across age groups, I think. I seem to feel it more.
More of what "drives" interests among the younger crowd, and rather understandably given today's environment, involves a perception of how it dove-tails into the greater "Social" structure that they aspire to be associated with. Not sure that point has changed all that much among young people across the years... But the explosion in options, and the immediacy of the feedback (along with the personal impact that feedback carries), most certainly has changed in orders of magnitude.

Even if live pool action were to make real headway on TV - and likely it would have to be a streaming medium to survive - Pool would have to find a way to...
#1 - Make the next generation of "entertainees" stand still long enough to notice, and
#2 - Become invested to find an affinity for what they're viewing & a willingness to "share" being involved.
What's new, I guess.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised this poll hasn't been done before.

Here's an age poll from 2007 (and 2010) with 509 responses. The median age was in the 36-40 category: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=58705

And here's one from 2012 with 202 responses and a median in the 45-49 category: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=260251

And here's one from 2016 with 249 responses and a median just about on the line between the 46-50 category and the 51-55 category: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=427766

So far in this current poll (not many reporting yet), the median is in the 50's.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For the 4 polls mentioned in my last post:

2007 -- 61 and over = 9%

2012 -- 60 & over = 24%

2016 -- 61 & over = 29%

2020 -- 61 & over = 38% (real small numbers so far)

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well it looks like most are 40 plus, not rocket science.

Young people are into electronics, and I stand gratification.

Pool is Old School fun.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is bad news.

Pool is a old mans game......

Edit: I’m 53 and feel 83. It’s not good.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
For the 4 polls mentioned in my last post:

2007 -- 61 and over = 9%

2012 -- 60 & over = 24%

2016 -- 61 & over = 29%

2020 -- 61 & over = 38% (real small numbers so far)
In this poll so far:
- 40-60 years = ~1/2
- 60-80 years = ~1/3
- below 40 & above 80 = ~1/6

pj <- codger
chgo

Last edited:

MrBlack

Registered
This is bad news.

Pool is a old mans game......

Edit: I’m 53 and feel 83. It’s not good.

Lol. You and me both brother! Im 45 and feel 85. Nice to know its not just me i guess. I can remember when i started, skipping out of school at 15 going down to the pool room, this was of course when pool rooms opened up bright and early in the morning. Now if you are lucky enough to even find a pool room it isnt open til late afternoon early evening! Anyway back to the good old days, there where always the old timers in the mornings they'd be playing one pocket, straight pool, there was always a group of guys that would play Chicago together,and then the night crowd which was mostly a younger crowd. There where 17 tables in this room and there would be a waiting list as long as my arm into the wee hours of the morning. Oh how I miss that oasis of mine that was not only filled with smoke but all of the charachters and nicknames to go along with them, I can write a book just on all the personalities that were around then. But I digress, bottom line is there seemed to be more interest from the youngbloods back then. Now you guys got me all nostalgic. Lol

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
49 til September. :eek:
I am very well preserved for a man twice my age. :D

Last edited: