Do gamblers increase the revenue to Pool Hall owners?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
shared a parking lot

My brother Calvin used to own a poolroom called the Ace Ball out in Odessa,Texas back in the 70's, he had three old cars that he parked around the poolroom which he moved around from day to day, people would stop to see what was going on, before you knew it, he had a crowd , ..........like you say, a crowd draws a crowd!

David Harcrow

David,

I shared a good sized parking area with a business that typically only had two to four vehicles at it. I jammed the lot full. Funny thing, I was so busy I had a waiting list for months but the other business that had been there for ten years now had at least three or four times more business than they had ever had before too. People see empty lots they figure there is a reason. People see full lots they figure there is a reason. It is one way I pick a place to eat in a strange town. If I don't have local information I look for a moderately full lot.

Hu

nksmfamjp

Refugee...
Silver Member
. . . Now every time they're at home and see the cue and feel obligated to go to the poolroom.....

That is seriously true!! I usually leave my cue case on the couch. Every night I see it and say, what can I do to fit pool into tonights schedule!!:eek::grin:

Mr. Duff

Registered
There are better ways to improve room economics. Gamblers and railbirds don't buy any more than your typical patron. Railbirds from other areas come in, watch the match, gamble, and go home. Besides, you'll never have enough games to make significant monies. If your goal is to run an upscale room, focus on those customers you want to reach because they are the ones who will provide your income.

If you focus on the gambling hard core patrons, then you will be running your room with a typical pool player mentality, and that's a losing kind of business model.

Damn it! You made me log in and post!. LOL.

I think the above post is probably the most accurate.........

Gamblers and Action are an "element" to any room owner. Some cater to it more than others. Gamblers and "sweaters" havent really spent any more or any less than any other customer for me. If you get guys to set an "appointment" for a future date, I would spread the word amongst your league players, etc. Create a buZZ! People enjoy seeing action, especially when the players are "A" level. However, it didnt take me long to figure out that if I invested the same amount of time, energy, cash, etc. into my league play, sports bar, and regulars, that I got a better return on my investment. Personally, I love pool and the action that comes with it. I had players come through (usually looking for me....) my rooms for years when the "road" was good. I treated them like KINGS, as long as they were honest with me. I certainly had a few that were on the "hustle" as well. Very few ever payed for table time, win or lose, and always had cocktails on the house if that was their thing. Most were gratious and appreciative, but were just there for a quick score and moved on down the road.

Shooters here in KC is certainly action room. They cater to it 7 days a week, and it seems to work for them. But when the action (money...) drys up, then what do you have? I dont think you can be one dimensional IMHO. Gambling and action have not hurt my business, and certainly added a few $$$ to the till. But, doesnt really hit the radar for my "business model". Unfortunately, it hits the BULLSEYE for my personal taste.

I like Jay's statement of "never turning down business", but the tail doesnt wag the dog.

My $.02:smile:

poolstar31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A good action player is worth 10 once a week customers

I spent over $800 dollars is table, drink and food in the last 2 weeks at one pool hall. Now that was the cost for me and my opponent since i was winning all the cheese:grin:

If I wasnt in action I might have spent $30 in pool time.
How many one or twice a week customers do you need to get the same ROI?

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think when the best player around the area is going to play it for sure attracts many customers for instance when vanover would play someone the pool room would be packed now when i would play someone just afew extras around .now i am just a b player but i was always betting more money than anybody else .so i believe more people will come out to watch the better player play not the money

JamisonNeu

Mr. Masse
Silver Member
I have been gambling since I was 9 years old. In all those years the only reason I ever saw anyone killed over a pool game was gambling.

I will not frequent a place that caters to gamblers. There is not anywhere more dangerous than a poolhall full of poor people trying to figure out how to make money off each other playing pool.

So my answer is No!

Last edited:

ShootingRazbone

He got all the rolls
Silver Member
There are better ways to improve room economics. Gamblers and railbirds don't buy any more than your typical patron. Railbirds from other areas come in, watch the match, gamble, and go home. Besides, you'll never have enough games to make significant monies. If your goal is to run an upscale room, focus on those customers you want to reach because they are the ones who will provide your income.

If you focus on the gambling hard core patrons, then you will be running your room with a typical pool player mentality, and that's a losing kind of business model.

This whole thread has been one or the other kind of thing.

Not to long ago I was in real thought about opening up a large scale room / sports bar. 13 9 ft. 10 diamond 7 ft. full bar and food, Pro Shop, leagues, tournaments, the whole nine yards.

Of course your going to have your bar patrons and then your league patrons which coinside. you have your pool players and gamblers and then you have your date night couple bangers just having a good time.

Why can't you cater to them all?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I had a small 9 table room in NY. Eight 9' tables and a 3-cushion. The money ball rotation game for a dollar a way had 4 players on it from 12 a to 12p and paid the rent and all expenses. The billiard table and the other 7 pool tables were clear profit. Those are the kind of gamblers you want in your room. Players that come in everyday and play for hours and spend money on table time and food and drink. Things might be different today, but if I opened a small room again I'd try to go that route again. Oh, and treat them right. Make them all feel like they are special. Johnnyt