New Brunswick GC6 - Any Questions?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A legit question:

With Brunswick making tables since 1845, and pretty much having the playability of the table nailed down forever, do they ever reevaluate the playability? I'm talking about how the balls bounce off the rails, or how far they roll (which could be affected by mass/rigidity of the table), or how much the table moves when bumped, or how the pocket accepts the ball, etc.

So in other words, do they keep the guts mostly the same for decades, and just change the outward appearance slightly? Or do they regularly look at the guts also. If so, who does that work? Do they have internal pool table experts? Do they hire professional players for their feedback? Do they hire professional pool table mechanics for their feedback? etc.

Thank you.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Questions in caps

i have an interview scheduled with brunswick representatives to discuss the details of the new gold crown 6 table, which is based on a design created by colin tury, winner of the re-design contest.

Submit any questions you might have about the new table and we'll include some of them in the interview.

- it is not for sale in the u.s. Yet, but they expect it to be available around feb.

- only 5 tables have been sold so far and sent to japan.

- the table does feature brunswick superspeed cushions standard.

- the individual parts are (almost all) produced overseas and sent back here to be assembled here as needed.

- while they do watch the competition, they will not attempt to emulate or copy the competition.

Will the slate frame wood be of such quality, that staples fasten securely after ten years of recovering.
Will the feet be adjustable?
Will the three piece slate be dowled?
Will the pocket irons and the top rail irons, stain your cloths ten years after being in operation in a Commercial SETTING?
Are the counters on the foot rail, easy too use WHERE YOU CAN FEEL EACH CLICK EASILY, NOT LIKE THE AFTERMARKET COUNTERS USED LATER ON.... like the gc I's an II's.
If there is a ball return, will the ball box be split l/s and r/s table?

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will the slate frame wood be of such quality, that staples fasten securely after ten years of recovering.
Will the feet be adjustable?
Will the three piece slate be dowled?
Will the pocket irons and the top rail irons, stain your cloths ten years after being in operation in a Commercial SETTING?
Are the counters on the foot rail, easy too use WHERE YOU CAN FEEL EACH CLICK EASILY, NOT LIKE THE AFTERMARKET COUNTERS USED LATER ON.... like the gc I's an II's.
Are the counters on the foot rail easy too use like the gc i's an ii's. You could feel each click.
Think there will even be counters?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Think there will even be counters?

no counters on the 4 or 5

of course the feet will adjust...

they stopped dowling the slates in the early gc3 production

as for staining your clothes, stop hanging out in dirty ass poool roooms, thats aint the tables fault.

Island Drive

Silver Member
no counters on the 4 or 5

of course the feet will adjust...

they stopped dowling the slates in the early gc3 production

as for staining your clothes, stop hanging out in dirty ass poool roooms, thats aint the tables fault.

Wrong, the GC's all left wear marks, metal aluminum stains on your cloths, from excessive play. Where the top of the apron meets the top rail. If you ever find and old pic of little Al Romero W. Coast, the tails of his collared shirts always hung out, had horizontal stains and holes worn into the shirt tails from Excessive play were evident. Believe me, they do that, it's why many pros years ago wore aprons.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Apron......................

[/U]

Wrong, the GC's all left wear marks, metal aluminum stains on your cloths, from excessive play. Where the top of the apron meets the top rail. If you ever find and old pic of little Al Romero W. Coast, the tails of his collared shirts always hung out, had horizontal stains and holes worn into the shirt tails from Excessive play were evident. Believe me, they do that, it's why many pros years ago wore aprons.
First person i ever saw with an apron was Dick Lane. He came in wearing a pair of high-dollar slacks and out comes the apron. We all gave him s^*t at first but as it turned out he was on to something. Every GC i've ever played on left those marks you refer to.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
[/U]

I don't usually wear light colored clothes to the pool hall for a reason.... Chalk mostly, so when I do wear anything light colored to the pool room : I AM NOT A SISSY ABOUT GETTING SOME COLOR ON MY CLOTHES......

Island Drive

Silver Member
I don't usually wear light colored clothes to the pool hall for a reason.... Chalk mostly, so when I do wear anything light colored to the pool room : I AM NOT A SISSY ABOUT GETTING SOME COLOR ON MY CLOTHES......

Jimmy Reid used to wear pure white pants, collared dress shirts, dressed to the 10's.

cheapcues.com

Cue Dealer
Silver Member
You are correct, Manning retails the 9ft pro-am at 5900. Add delivery and setup, depending on where your located, your looking around 6800. I just talked to a Brunswick dealer this week and he quoted me 10,070 for the gc5 delivered and setup, that was with a 2k discount he was nice enough to give me. I personally would buy the gc5 over the diamond because it just looks better. I do like diamond tables as well. However, if your a working class dude there’s no way you can justify the extra 3k price tag. I don’t believe the gc6 will start at 8k if there are still selling the 5s at 10k

Well that dealer was stone cold lying to you if they said $10,070 is a $2,000 discount.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Well that dealer was stone cold lying to you if they said $10,070 is a $2,000 discount.

Tomorrow I go put my deposit on my GC V. It will be delivered in January. Ball return and tournament addition. I won’t tell you the exact price but I will tell you it’s below 9k. Some other things thrown in at that price. It doesn’t include delivery and setup which I will be doing myself.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Ask them if they have fixed the inconsistent pocket angles and sizes.

Also, ask them why they gave up on the Bowling Division?

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what size are the pockets or do you have a choice?
does it come in any finish but black?

if it plays like the 5,it will be an exceptional table at least i hope it plays like the great gold crowns of the past

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ask them if they have fixed the inconsistent pocket angles and sizes.

Also, ask them why they gave up on the Bowling Division?
Boats and fitness equip. make up almost all of Brunswick's sales. AMF was their major competitor and they just wanted to be out of it. I'm surprised they kept the billiard division as it was even smaller than bowling.

mechanic/player

Silver Member
Tomorrow I go put my deposit on my GC V. It will be delivered in January. Ball return and tournament addition. I won’t tell you the exact price but I will tell you it’s below 9k. Some other things thrown in at that price. It doesn’t include delivery and setup which I will be doing myself.

Be sure to ask them before you buy about warranty issues and how they are handled on tables they don't deliver or install.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Boats and fitness equip. make up almost all of Brunswick's sales. AMF was their major competitor and they just wanted to be out of it. I'm surprised they kept the billiard division as it was even smaller than bowling.

You got me curious, I just perused Brunswick's Q3 2017 quarterly report and they talk all about marine sales, a bit of words about fitness equipment, and nothing at all about pool table sales or bowling revenue. Indeed, Brunswick nor their investors care a whit about billiards related activities. It must be lumped in their earnings segment "Corp/other" in which they took a loss on that group of activities.

It's kind of funny, over here in AZB, people love the GC, but the company that makes it doesn't even treat it as an afterthought.

http://www.brunswick.com/investors/investorinformation/quarterly-earnings-results.php

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You got me curious, I just perused Brunswick's Q3 2017 quarterly report and they talk all about marine sales, a bit of words about fitness equipment, and nothing at all about pool table sales or bowling revenue. Indeed, Brunswick nor their investors care a whit about billiards related activities. It must be lumped in their earnings segment "Corp/other" in which they took a loss on that group of activities.

It's kind of funny, over here in AZB, people love the GC, but the company that makes it doesn't even treat it as an afterthought.

http://www.brunswick.com/investors/investorinformation/quarterly-earnings-results.php
They're done with bowling. Sold it off in 2014 iirc. I'd be really interested to see what their yearly output of pool tables is.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Its just a speck on their radar-screen. Probably lumped in with Fitness revenue. Now this is only a guess but since billiards is their historic legacy i think they keep the billiard division going just for legacy/history reasons. Its darn sure not the money.