We know where you wanted to leave the Cue Ball !

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A number of pro players I've watched in matches have a habit of pointing with their cue tip on the cloth to the area or spot they either plan to leave the CB before they shoot, or doing it after they shoot, showing where they wanted to leave the CB, but failed to get it to that spot. Just curious, are they doing this for the benefit of the spectators watching, or for themselves?

I can see if they do it before shooting, that it helps them visualize the spot the are trying to get the CB to for the next shot. However, I can't really see why they do it after they shoot and miss their spot. Do they not think we are smart enough to realize they missed their intended CB position without having to literally point it out to us?

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also

I also see this and when it is a Pro or someone close to that level I always feel they are making a mental note after not getting their desired shape and that makes sense.

When I see average players doing it I feel they are just trying to act Pro like.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A number of pro players I've watched in matches have a habit of pointing with their cue tip on the cloth to the area or spot they either plan to leave the CB before they shoot, or doing it after they shoot, showing where they wanted to leave the CB, but failed to get it to that spot. Just curious, are they doing this for the benefit of the spectators watching, or for themselves?

I can see if they do it before shooting, that it helps them visualize the spot the are trying to get the CB to for the next shot. However, I can't really see why they do it after they shoot and miss their spot. Do they not think we are smart enough to realize they missed their intended CB position without having to literally point it out to us?
Ego defense, which is important at that level... Plus, a lot of spectators really don't know.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well...

I think it is just letting the world know that things did not go as planned and letting a little stress out.

I don't expect them to be robots and I don't like it when they throw cues on the floor, jump on he table, or jump into each others arms and kiss like long lost lovers.

I long ago came to terms with the fact a professional pool player is a rather quirky and unique individual.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If everyone did that every time they missed shape by more than 1", would refs stop it? Seems like a waste of time to me, I know where I wanted it to go! lol

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the same reason they stroke into the air 6 times before getting down on the shot. Then, they get up and air stroke 3 or 4 more. You should re-chalk after 7 or 8 air strokes. Air turbulence may have removed some chalk. Tap the spot on the cloth where you want to park whitey, even if it's a 6" draw shot or 6" follow. You'll look like such a pro........cue ball on a string sort of thing....master of the felt....the Sultan of Simonis.

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Meh, ask Efren. He does it more than most.
Who wouldn't want their game to look a bit more like his?

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It irks me too. I am watching the game also and I already know where you wanted to leave it.
What really bothers me are the Curt Gowdy's, the play by play guys, who tell you what they really wanted to do after every missed shape. I am watching also. I know what you wanted to do.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meh, ask Efren. He does it more than most.
Who wouldn't want their game to look a bit more like his?
Hmm, I surely admire Efren's game, maybe I'll play without my teeth next time. I could get a fancy leather thing from a truck stop like truckers use to keep their skoal in. That way I'll have 'em with me and if a pretty girl wants to chat I could slam 'em up in my mouth! LOL

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
I don't do it before the shot because after I luck into some other perfect shape I don't want the world to know how sorry ass of a player I really am. Why they do it after the shot is beyond me.

JC

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen Alex and Efren do this a lot. I like it. It's instructive to see the exact spot they were going for. And it makes the game more watchable for new players.

Think about poker:

Viewers know what everyone's hand is and what every players odds are. It makes it more interesting. If, somehow, before every shot we knew exactly where a pro was trying to send the CB, it would draw viewers in. There would be extra excitement when they got perfect and groans when they roll six inches past...

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

While shooting, they are just in the moment. It's part of their pre-shot/post shot routine. It's how they stay focused and get from shot to shot. I bet some of them aren't even aware that they do it.
Same reason a QB in the NFL licks his fingers before taking the snap.
DILLY DILLY! LOL

gregoryda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't do it before the shot because after I luck into some other perfect shape I don't want the world to know how sorry ass of a player I really am. Why they do it after the shot is beyond me.

JC

JC, too funny! You and I seem to play the same way. I can relate to afterwards, it's kind of like their punishment for not getting the correct position, better than slapping the cue against the rails like Earl the Pearl does. It gets old watching some of them do it before every f'n shot, once in awhile is ok.

Last edited:

sonny burnett

Registered
My dad gave me a piece of notebook paper, told me to stop the cue ball on it.
Wonderful drill.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Shoot, is that what's happening?

I always thought they were pointing out some old bacon grease stain or whatnot.