Ivory ban: Are you afraid to offend people with your ivory cues?

dom_poppa

Banned
I am anticipating all the dirty looks people will receive when shooting with an ivory cue.

Be careful out there.

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ivory

Well fellow AZers, it is clear that this guy is an antagonist that enjoys yanking our chains. No one can be this ignorant. And if he is - he isn't worth our time. It would be like trying to train a rock and expecting it to learn and do tricks. I have no need to address him again - unless he has some ivory to sell cheap...

Hunter

The King of Memes
Silver Member
Not exactly and not consistently. At best it looks very 'white' when compared to most synthetics. But different types of Ivory/tusk/bone/etc can look different still. It's not a great test.

Spot on. I was being a little facetious with this one, as I've seen everything from green to white and some other strange colors under a black light. I collect straight razors and have quite a few ivory scaled ones. They all fluoresce differently, depending on the grain and the way they were cut, and even the thickness seems to play a part. The Lines of Owen can be pretty apparent in some and almost non-existent in others.

I could have explained the hot pin test, but that's kinda destructive. The "colder than anything else in the room" test is pretty subjective, and I sure didn't want to lead anyone to "the mayonnaise test".

Bottom line is it has to have Schreger Lines and the best way to learn about ivory is just to handle a lot of it. The reason I mentioned the black light is that even though the colors might look different, if it does glow, it is a pretty fair indicator that you might want to do another test on it, as it might indeed be ivory. I can't remember any plastic that I've seen that glowed (unless it was acrylic or butyrate that was made to glow and doesn't look anything like ivory). From what I understand, the only way to absolutely identify ivory is with chemical testing.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played with ivory joints and ivory ferrules since 1973.
I have never had anyone that didnt like my cues because of ivory.
I've played pool in the biggest gamblin room in the country ( Weenie Beenies Room )
Plus traveled to at least 22 states and never had a problem.
Its a dumb premise, a non-problem.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I have pets that I love dearly. I eat meat. I know humans will always eat meat and kills animals for survival. I could never kill a deer but I will get a burger at McDonald's. .

id rather kill a deer than eat a mcdonald "burger"

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hit on the money

Well fellow AZers, it is clear that this guy is an antagonist that enjoys yanking our chains. No one can be this ignorant. And if he is - he isn't worth our time. It would be like trying to train a rock and expecting it to learn and do tricks. I have no need to address him again - unless he has some ivory to sell cheap...
From the stuff I have read that he has posted in the past an now this,
yes blackboarowner you are dead on the money with what you said.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bavafongoul, Don't think you and those custom cues are safe. Remember the Gibson guitar factory raid. That was over Madagascar ebony and the Lacey act. Which also covers Madagascar Rosewood as well as Brazilian rosewood. The wood confiscated was from India. The certification requirements are retroactive.

All the guys posting here saying how they don't care about the ivory ban because plastic works for them might be in for a surprise. Rosewood into maple cues are pretty standard fare. For now. How about those ebony butts and inlays? For how long?

BTW, Gibson donated to the republican party. Did that have anything to do with it? Just sayin'.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just like PETA activists spray painting the fur coats of celebrities, are you guys afraid to offend other pool players? What if they damaged your cues?

Do you feel ashamed?

I don't know why showing your ivory laden cue to someone, would offend them, they didn't mind the elephant getting shot & the chain sawing of their tusks.

Most people don't care about anything & they sure don't care or mind what's going on around them. I used to be in that group myself. Now that I'm getting old, I have developed a different perspective about things & people.

Enjoy your cue

Last edited:

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chances are no one can tell you have ivory on your cue without you telling them. Secondly if you shot with 10 cues 5 with and 5 without ivory. You could not tell the difference except for more deflection. I could give a crap what people have on their cues. I have a cue with ivory. Didn't buy it for ivory. However the excuses used as to why ivory is in a cue is bs. How do you know if your cue has ivory? Use a black light. Seriously. That's says a lot.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just bought a Bob Frey cue. I know at least the ferrule is ivory. Didn't buy it for that. Have shown lots of people. I don't even mention the ivory ferrule and not one person asked me if anything was ivory. Chances are most players have to tell people they have ivory in their cue because no one cares or thinks wow that's beautiful because of the ivory.

dom_poppa

Banned
Actually I am a huge fan of ivory but prefer mother of pearl.

I have no problems with it.

I was wondering how you guys would react to other players offended by the idea of having ivory in your cue.

Not all pool players are equal. You would be surprised how many pool players hate the idea of ivory.

pug1986

Registered
No - I am not ashamed. And if someone damaged my cue - they would get damaged. Destroying my personal property will not bring back the animal that they are defending.

Oh wow. a real caveman right here. Like that would solve anything. No, that would be fine. People like that deserve to go to jail anyway. savage

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Spot on. I was being a little facetious with this one, as I've seen everything from green to white and some other strange colors under a black light. I collect straight razors and have quite a few ivory scaled ones. They all fluoresce differently, depending on the grain and the way they were cut, and even the thickness seems to play a part. The Lines of Owen can be pretty apparent in some and almost non-existent in others.

I could have explained the hot pin test, but that's kinda destructive. The "colder than anything else in the room" test is pretty subjective, and I sure didn't want to lead anyone to "the mayonnaise test".

Bottom line is it has to have Schreger Lines and the best way to learn about ivory is just to handle a lot of it. The reason I mentioned the black light is that even though the colors might look different, if it does glow, it is a pretty fair indicator that you might want to do another test on it, as it might indeed be ivory. I can't remember any plastic that I've seen that glowed (unless it was acrylic or butyrate that was made to glow and doesn't look anything like ivory). From what I understand, the only way to absolutely identify ivory is with chemical testing.

Yeah pretty much, thanks for clarifying. We use a variety of 'bone' and it often looks just like ivory under UV. I've got a drawer full of assorted scraps and it would be awesome if it was just that easy.

;)

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ivory

I'm a caveman because I would not allow someone to destroy something I paid over 4 grand for? I would think the person that had an emotional reaction to my cue and destroyed it would be deserving of disdain. You can bet that most people would not just stand there and let them do it without consequence. I do believe I would kick his ass! If you want to let someone destroy your stuff - be my guest. You are a target.

dom_poppa

Banned
blackboarowner;510977http://forums.azbilliards.com/clear.gif1 said:
Anyone else think I'm a barbarian?

I don't think you are a barbarian.

You are Fred Flintstone though.

Fred_Flintstone_and_the_woolly_mammoth.JPG

JC

Coos Cues
Something killed off the dinosaurs. I don't miss them because I've never seen one.

I have also never seen an Elephant in the wild. So I imagine if they are gone I won't miss them either.

Humans have screwed up every corner of our planet. Why would elephants get a free pass?

JC