Do You Break With Your Player?

Do You Break With Your Player?

• Total voters

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious. I break with my player. I don't break as hard with it as I would with a break cue but I do have much more control of the CB using my player, scratching less on the break. I have no problem breaking in a wing ball etc.using a softer stroke and it seems the balls actually spread better.

Last edited:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What game are we talking about? I don't break with my playing cue.

Any game. All of the games. Coincidentally, I play with a handmade Joss built by Dan Janes. Steel joint with a hard pressed Triangle tip.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
i dont play hard smashing break games, i just have the 1 cue for pool and 1 for carom

so i do break with my player

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Besides possible tip deformation which will of course lessen overtime or ivory ferrules or thin thermo plastic ferrules breaking and bad cue delivery....it’s a non issue

Been breaking with a ferruleless shaft oh I’d say about 5 years now. I go between it and a lighter cue and a short phenolic ferrule and hard small dia tip. I enjoy playing banks and big table 9 ball breaks if my motion is really fluid (17oz actually). The ferruleless is right at 19 I believe both very rigid. Ferruleless good for gen play 9, one hole. 14.1.....little fat for my banking tastes but I’m lucky to be able to whatever it is I need in regards to cue performance for x style of play or type shots.

I have another “daily” that’s ivory ferruled and I’ll break with it but more around the 18mpg mark solid controlled precise break, no bullshitting of the delivery stickler mechanics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Besides possible tip deformation which will of course lessen overtime or ivory ferrules or thin thermo plastic ferrules breaking and bad cue delivery....it’s a non issue

Been breaking with a ferruleless shaft oh I’d say about 5 years now. I go between it and a lighter cue and a short phenolic ferrule and hard small dia tip. I enjoy playing banks and big table 9 ball breaks if my motion is really fluid (17oz actually). The ferruleless is right at 19 I believe both very rigid. Ferruleless good for gen play 9, one hole. 14.1.....little fat for my banking tastes but I’m lucky to be able to whatever it is I need in regards to cue performance for x style of play or type shots.

I have another “daily” that’s ivory ferruled and I’ll break with it but more around the 18mpg mark solid controlled precise break, no bullshitting of the delivery stickler mechanics

I did have a ferruleless shaft once get damaged.

Disclaimer:

It was my own dam fault. Tip was too low, in spit of my laziness I decided to commit mistake two and deliver the cue in sloppy fashion and miscued that glanced and chipped about a mm off the side.

I wouldn’t be keen on breaking high soeed with any spliced tech besides a revo. Well better yet many ld models.....weak ferrule design generally to start, as of course ld and splicing as we generally see and think of it have nothing to do with one another. The splicing is to have better end result less wood cull and end user product. The ld part of course effects the playability besides does it stay straight I just know some Meucci fanboys don’t understand. The reasons are solid and no need of extra sprinkles of bs

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not unless it's straight pool or 1p...and I don't really play 1p. For 8/9/10 ball I always use my break cue or a house cue. My playing cue has a soft tip and 12mm shaft. Love it for playing but I want a harder tip and a thicker shaft for the break so I use my OB break cue.

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have noticed on the cue I use for 9 ball that the butt gets dinged up breaking, right in the middle of the forearm..seems the tables at the pool room are higher than my home table? is that a thing? I don't do it every time but every now and then I can tell I'm hitting the rail when I break. I generally only carry one cue and don't brake hard enough to do any damage to the front of my cue

Slickstick9

Play on
Silver Member
Yes. Ivory ferrule and kamui soft. I like the way the tip hardens up and plays over time. When it gets to hard I take 2 shafts down and get 2 more tips. I never like putting my expensive cue down and breaking with a break cue. once I pull her out of the case she stays in my hand all night. Even take her to the bathroom. Have been with her 26 years.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I have had a break cue the last few years, but always broke(very hard) with my player before that, Ivory ferrule and all.

Might be in your neighborhood for a few days soon.
Jason

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sort of surprised at the number of members that break with their player. I think I might be the only on in my room that uses their player. Seems like everyone at my place wants to smash the rack to smithereens.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lets see....
Break hard with $1000 cue?
Break hard with a $125 break cue?
Tough choice here.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lets see....
Break hard with $1000 cue?
Break hard with a $125 break cue?
Tough choice here.

Ah. You like to smash the rack. Do you have any trouble controlling the cue ball? I hate giving up control of the table after breaking even if it's to play a safe. Much easier, for me anyway, to squat the CB with a softer break.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I am not worried about damaging my actual cue with breaking, I want my tips to be setup for playing not breaking. I use a house cue or my break cue, depending on how lazy I am :smile: most of the time. No need to have a tip pop off or get out of shape when you don't need to. Same reason I don't smoke and drive with a seatbelt, why take extra chances when it takes almost no effort to be safer?