Stan's New Video Part Deux

I don't think you're accurate here. I knew some great players who lived by a 'system' of aiming.
It probably wasn't titled CTE.....but Wimpy Lassiter had a system of aiming with his black line on the ferrule of the cue. He played pretty good.
Danny Jones used the quarter system...he was always lining up half ball and then shifting with his bridge hand to the perceived angle target if the half ball hit wasn't dead on. Danny played pretty good too
Even Willie Mosconi (who played pretty good) wrote in one of his books...."all shots can be calculated mathematically so we will leave nothing to chance". Was he lying?
Absolutes, like you've tossed out, should be tempered with a little moderation.
Facts can be disturbing, you know.

Much depends on who you class as genuinely great players...your Mosconi quote is meaningless to this discussion.

GoldenFlash

Banned
On and on and on...........yuck.

He showed a bunch of kids a line on his ferrule and now, 60 years later, you vouch for that being an aiming system. That would hardly hold up in court.
On the other hand, my father, a full grown adult and seasoned pool player at that time, had a detailed conversation with him in the 1960's about exactly how he aimed. Hint: It had nothing to do with a line on his ferrule, and you'd be disappointed at most of the answer.
Were you there when your father had the conversation?
Did you see it?
Did your father visit with him at Johnston City? I did...and reminded him of what he'd taught us. Although he had become so great he no longer needed the line on the ferrule. It was an AID...just like all systems are aids...nothing more and nothing less.
See how this can go?...you ridicule my testimony and then turn right around and make your own. Which in your thinking, somehow overrides mine?
And you talk about a juvenile analogy of "that would hardly hold up in court"??? (maybe your testimony "would hardly hold up in court" either)
This conversation with you is pointless. And it contributes very little to the idea of how to improve one's aim. It's almost like debating religion...you believe what you believe and others believe what they believe.
I think you just like to argue.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you see it?
Did your father visit with him at Johnston City? I did...and reminded him of what he'd taught us. Although he had become so great he no longer needed the line on the ferrule. It was an AID...just like all systems are aids...nothing more and nothing less.
See how this can go?...you ridicule my testimony and then turn right around and make your own. Which in your thinking, somehow overrides mine?
And you talk about a juvenile analogy of "that would hardly hold up in court"??? (maybe your testimony "would hardly hold up in court" either)
This conversation with you is pointless. And it contributes very little to the idea of how to improve one's aim. It's almost like debating religion...you believe what you believe and others believe what they believe.

With all due respect, you first bring in an anecdote that one of the great shooters of all time uses an aiming system. You said, "It probably wasn't titled CTE.....but Wimpy Lassiter had a system of aiming with his black line on the ferrule of the cue." Your implication is that it probably was something very close to CTE, or else you wouldn't have said "it probably wasn't titled CTE." So now you have set in the reader's mind that Lassiter used some form of CTE. Your evidence? Him showing a line on his ferrule to a group of kids. 60 years later that becomes some variation of CTE.

Then you introduce new information -- that you spoke to him again as an adult about the line on the ferrule. I don't know what he said to you at that point but you said he no longer needed the line on the ferrule. Whatever.

I have no problem believing a guy puts a line on his ferrule to aid in seeing the direction of the cue. After all, everybody has to sight down the cue along the shot line (well, I guess not if you use CTE). If a black line helps show the cue orientation I have no quarrel with that. A black line does not an aiming system make, however. I liken it to pro golfers putting a line on the ball and lining it up for the putt.

Did you see it?

What really would be excellent testimony, and something wholly missing from these discussions, btw, would be for players to demonstrate the improvement aiming systems have given them on video. I seem to remember your good self telling us once how you used to be merely a "good short stop" and are now "significantly better".

Video evidence of this improvement would be fantastic, and really shut the naysayers up for good. Do you have such evidence?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Wouldn't jack it per my proffer, wouldn't even accept a $100 side bet shouted out before the match from the rail, buying equipment for the bizzaness, but were willing to "flip it" for another $10K, lol.

Lou Figueroa

Brian made you the offer to play again. I didn't. You declined and ran away.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
John can get $20K of action here.

Just kicking it around with the locals, there are some people here with very deep pockets willing to cover what John wants to bet, and more if he'd like, so that baloney about not wanting to "just break even" don't hunt.

Come get me, big boy.

Lou Figueroa

Post the 20k SON.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brian made you the offer to play again. I didn't. You declined and ran away.

Not me, nor Mike, nor Dustin were aware of anything from your side remotely sounding like a serious offer.

Brian has said he did -- and I will accept that -- but it must not have sounded like a serious offer or I would have accepted. Post match, there was certainly no effort from Brian to follow up on any offer and negotiate anything. I think if a man seriously wants to bet $10K he'd at least try a little bit.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Post the 20k SON.

Two things:

What is it I'm posting for, lol?

And

After the last debacle -- when you backed out of every single bet you said you'd take before the match -- it is you that will be posting first IF we can agree on terms.

Lou Figueroa
(yawn)
not happenin'

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Two things:

What is it I'm posting for, lol?

And

After the last debacle -- when you backed out of every single bet you said you'd take before the match -- it is you that will be posting first IF we can agree on terms.

Lou Figueroa
(yawn)
not happenin'

Post or shut up.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John can get $20K of action here.

Just kicking it around with the locals, there are some people here with very deep pockets willing to cover what John wants to bet, and more if he'd like, so that baloney about not wanting to "just break even" don't hunt.

Come get me, big boy.

Lou Figueroa

So none of your own money, again,lol

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Post or shut up.

What's the game?

A few folks in St. Louis are waiting (with bait on their breath) to hear, now that you will have your $20K covered, what you're willing to do when you visit our fair city.

Lou Figueroa

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
What's the game?

A few folks in St. Louis are waiting (with bait on their breath) to hear, now that you will have your $20K covered, what you're willing to do when you visit our fair city.

Lou Figueroa

I like the idea of an all around.

1 pocket
8 ball
9 ball (or 10)

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I never go into the aiming forum, but I was bored last night and then got drawn into the prospect of JB vs Lou 2: Fury in Missouri. I'll be glued to the stream.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JB and Lou need to play something besides one-pocket if they are going to see if either one of them knows anything about "aiming". Bunting balls around into rails playing one-pocket until one or the other luckily gets 8 balls in their hole doesn't prove anybody is the better "aimer".

Making a ball every 5th or 10th inning isn't convincing me anybody knows how to aim.

What really would be excellent testimony, and something wholly missing from these discussions, btw, would be for players to demonstrate the improvement aiming systems have given them on video. I seem to remember your good self telling us once how you used to be merely a "good short stop" and are now "significantly better".

Video evidence of this improvement would be fantastic, and really shut the naysayers up for good. Do you have such evidence?

Bumpy bumpy.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never go into the aiming forum, but I was bored last night and then got drawn into the prospect of JB vs Lou 2: Fury in Missouri. I'll be glued to the stream.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

"Fury in Missouri"

I like it!

Lou Figueroa