english ??? please help

Shorty Bankz

Master Banker
a good player told me that any shot that could be made with left hand english could be right hand english including bank shots ... I don't agree with his understanding of pool shots ...

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's true. It depends where you want the cue ball to go. You ,of course, have to make adjustments to where you are aiming.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
a good player told me that any shot that could be made with left hand english could be right hand english including bank shots ... I don't agree with his understanding of pool shots ...

Do you have a specific shot in mind? Was he just talking about pocketing the ball?

I think we could come up with shots that couldn't be made with one type of english vs the other. But, they'd be few. Making the ball... I would hope you can make most shots with any spin.

Freddie <~~~ maybe I don't understand the question

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to see your advisor try to make a multi-rail bank that reverses off the 2nd rail, using the wrong English...that might change his mind.

Or at least make him clarify his statement to what he really means.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Nope. Sometimes the spin is required to send the object ball towards the pocket on a bank. Some bank shots cannot even be made at all with no English and certainly not with reverse English. You simply run out of cut angle. You can not over cut enough to overcome the reverse English.

One example I love to watch is a player banking cross table into a corner pocket with a back cut. Moving across the ball puts reverse English on the object ball and spins it away from the pocket. With a little outside English to compensate it is an easy bank but without it the ball just goes back and forth across the table. With low skilled players I can always count on one more time at bat when they try to execute that bank.

Tor Lowry demonstrates the "impossible bank shot" where he uses back hand English, banks the ball aiming past the pocket (side), and the reverse spin shortens the angle and keeps the cue ball out of the way to avoid the double kiss.

Just think in terms of English avoiding the double kiss on a lot of banks. Some shots yes but ALL shots no way.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you have a specific shot in mind? Was he just talking about pocketing the ball?

I think we could come up with shots that couldn't be made with one type of english vs the other. But, they'd be few. Making the ball... I would hope you can make most shots with any spin.

Freddie <~~~ maybe I don't understand the question

I was thinking the same.

The obvious exception that immediately came to my mind was a severe cut. Like cue ball sitting in the corner pocket and object ball on the spot, with an over 90 degree cue to the other corner pocket. No way to make that cut with opposite English. That was just the most obvious that came to my mind.

Most shots in most general cases can be made with left, right, or center.

LIAKOS27

NOT banned (yet)
Silver Member

If it's a specific shot set up a certain way to achieve the same goal then I would probably say most likely that he doesn't know what he is talking about!

That being said, there really isn't too many shots that I can think of where you can't make it with any english you want to put on it as long as it's possible!

So in short, I don't either really know what you're talking about:)

Relax, I kid, I kid

Eli

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I got some bank propositions for this guy....tell him to bring cash.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are two shots (typically from one pocket) where I think right english would not work but left english would.

CropperCapture[11].jpg

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are two shots (typically from one pocket) where I think right english would not work but left english would.

View attachment 459998

The bank shot is the one I was referring to. I don't even think you can make it on the short rail, let alone the long rail. And if that isn't tough enough, move the cue ball all the way to the rail. lol

BTW, what was his point to begin with? As a general rule it is mostly true but using certain English on certain shots would sure make them harder, just like using a little helping English can make them a little easier.

Last edited:

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

View attachment 459998
Nice examples Bob,

Interestingly, I think the lower ball might be made with right english, provided it is played very hard with near maximum english. In that case, throw reduces to near the thickening throw of a roll in shot. A shot rarely played.

Of course, soft left 1/2 tip makes the pot easier.

Colin

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
too bad those drawings dont show the cue using "left" English (they show the opposite, whether that was intended or not).
It was to suggest that the shoots were impossible. People familiar with those shots will see immediately that shooter has no idea what he's doing.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice examples Bob,

Interestingly, I think the lower ball might be made with right english, provided it is played very hard with near maximum english. In that case, throw reduces to near the thickening throw of a roll in shot. A shot rarely played.

Of course, soft left 1/2 tip makes the pot easier.

Colin
The intent on the bank was to have the OB close enough to the cushion that it had to have right side to get the bank angle.