Moral/Rules Question

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you are honest and did the right thing. I'd never take a win like that. There is the "letter of the law", and "the spirit of the law". The letter should always support the spirit, and the spirit should dictate. The point is to eliminate slop shots. The pocket was obvious. The fact that the rules allow one to turn an obvious shot into a loss is *against the spirit of the rules*

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Thanks. That was my way of looking at it too.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like your team mates were a bunch of nits. I've played with guys like that, one year, and switched teams. My team is still competitive, but is a really good group of guys, which I enjoy being around. Winning and having absolutely no fun while doing it, due to too many alpha dog egos, just isn't my cup of tea. I've seen all manner of bullshit in league, mostly from the alpha dog ego crowd. It's always something, but never them. :smile:

To call a guy like that a nit gives nits a bad name. That's one reason I quit playing in leagues.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with you that you took the right stance on this. However, this kind of thing is only one of the many, many reasons I neither play in leagues or play 8 ball. I don't consider pool a team sport, to be honest. I know a lot of people disagree with that but that's how I feel. I stick to Straight Pool and One Pocket these days.

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Jewett does have a good point. Playing in a league for years like I described earlier does (in a way) create bad habits. I know most of the players in Wichita that might show up at one of our weekly local tournaments; but many I don't know well. So it's not quite so friendly (so to speak) so I make sure I call my pocket and that my opponent understands.

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are degrees of nittishness as follows:

1) Nittishlike
2) Nittish
3) Nitty
4) Nit
5) What a Nit
6) What a fking Nit

Obviously your team mates who demanded a call on that 8B fit category # 6

skankhammer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, the rule in my opinion sucks. I think you did the right thing. I've seen teams that use any loophole, no matter how petty to win.

Shooter1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The OP did the right thing. In league 8 ball, I tell my opponent up front they just need to call the pocket, no need to mark it. Everyone gets along with it OK. When you get up into the higher level tourneys, you probably should abide by the rules as at that level, the assholes will have appeared looking for any opportunity/loophole to get a cheap win.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Please give me your input

facts:
Playing in our state wide tournament.
Rule in question - "one of the ways to lose is failure to properly identify the pocket on the 8-ball". - No marker is placed and no allowance for obvious, just have to indicate it somehow. Lousy rule.
I am team captain
My player has a hot temper and really wants to win
He loses 10-0 in a game against their worst player after 3 times at bat - (mad)
His next game is the determining game of the match. He is must win.
He misses and the other player completes a simple 4 ball patter, gets straight in 1 foot shot on 8 ball.
I turn around a write down the score, congratulate the other team
My player declares the other team did not call the 8 ball
I have no idea if he did or not. He did not while I was watching but I turned away while he shot.
My second player backs up the first player.
The other team claims he did call the pocket and comes up with a half dozen different ideas about how he did it.
I know they are not honest as they clearly lied once before.
The teams argue and the league operator comes over and is basically no help at all. Won't make a ruling. Suggests things like replay or coin flip - none agree to that (except me ;-)
I won't sign the score sheet in support of my team, although I really wish I had just taken up bowling instead.
The other team takes my unsigned score sheet up and turns it in.
My angry player wants me to claim I did not write in the score.
I tell him I did write in the score before he complained.
He gets mad and goes home because "you have to support your team"
After 2 forfeits we still finish 6th and win money. Angry player won't come to my house to get his share. Pretty angry I guess. We have been friends for 10 years.

SUMMARY:
I did not like the position my team took either way. I don't want to win that way but that is just me, I understand that a "rule is a rule". I thought refusing to sign the score sheet was as far as I could go in "supporting the team". I could not say he didn't call the pocket because I was not looking and could not say I didn't enter the score because I did.
I hate that the league operator is so indecisive and the rule is so vague (doesn't say what happens if the teams do not agree on the issue). But would like to hear comments on what I might have done different or how you guys look at it.
:frown:
BTW I now play an a lower skilled team that is less intense. AND I AM NOT THE CAPTAIN.

Babysitting adults gets old, their parents should of done that long ago. Moving on was a good choice. It's no different than dating a new gal, till you spend time in different situations will you truly know who your sitting next too.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This reminds me of a time I was at a tournament once where everyone was playing doubles. One of the guys who went with us was on another team with his girlfriend. A guy on the other team scratched on the money ball and left it pretty much hanging in front of the pocket giving ball in hand to the girlfriend. When he scratched he caught the cue ball and threw it around the table several rails. So his body language was saying he was giving the last ball away as is the normal custom with ball in hand on a hanging money ball.

While the boyfriend was racking the other team mate said to the one who scratched that they were not giving anything away and called a foul on the boyfriend/girlfriend team for not shooting the money ball. As they argued it his caused the boyfriend to go ballistic and he wanted to fight. I finally got him away from them all and the referee agreed it was a foul, but almost changed his mind once the guy who threw the cue ball finally admitted he was intending to give them the game until his partner called a foul and the boyfriend started having an attitude. I told him he should have said that in the first place instead of letting things get out of hand. But at that point the boyfriend was barred for the day for un-sportsman like conduct so they lost the match anyway.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Morals...........

Never expect it, when your around liquor, bars, leagues and late nights, if someone has a pulse.:grin:

League play is LIFE ''miniaturized'' and well lit like an operating table.

Everything you see happening on and around a pool table happens 24/7 in all other aspects of life/work and the real world.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never expect it, when your around liquor, bars, leagues and late nights, if someone has a pulse.:grin:

League play is LIFE ''miniaturized'' and well lit like an operating table.

Everything you see happening on and around a pool table happens 24/7 in all other aspects of life/work and the real world.

You are right there, you can tell how people act in their day to day life with how they behave at the table. And often the biggest complainer about someone cheating is the one most likely to cheat on his/her turn.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This reminds me of a time I was at a tournament once where everyone was playing doubles. One of the guys who went with us was on another team with his girlfriend. A guy on the other team scratched on the money ball and left it pretty much hanging in front of the pocket giving ball in hand to the girlfriend. When he scratched he caught the cue ball and threw it around the table several rails. So his body language was saying he was giving the last ball away as is the normal custom with ball in hand on a hanging money ball.

While the boyfriend was racking the other team mate said to the one who scratched that they were not giving anything away and called a foul on the boyfriend/girlfriend team for not shooting the money ball. As they argued it his caused the boyfriend to go ballistic and he wanted to fight. I finally got him away from them all and the referee agreed it was a foul, but almost changed his mind once the guy who threw the cue ball finally admitted he was intending to give them the game until his partner called a foul and the boyfriend started having an attitude. I told him he should have said that in the first place instead of letting things get out of hand. But at that point the boyfriend was barred for the day for un-sportsman like conduct so they lost the match anyway.

You are closer than you think. My player was on a "final warning about temper" promise not to lose it. I was pleased he did not take the other player outside and beat him to death. He told him "I promised these guys I wouldn't get mad but you better watch what you say". Pool leagues are so much fun :mad:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
SUMMARY:
I did not like the position my team took either way. I don't want to win that way but that is just me, I understand that a "rule is a rule". I thought refusing to sign the score sheet was as far as I could go in "supporting the team". I could not say he didn't call the pocket because I was not looking and could not say I didn't enter the score because I did.
I hate that the league operator is so indecisive and the rule is so vague (doesn't say what happens if the teams do not agree on the issue). But would like to hear comments on what I might have done different or how you guys look at it.
:frown:
BTW I now play an a lower skilled team that is less intense. AND I AM NOT THE CAPTAIN.

You have integrity, I feel that is very important in this game. Too bad the other team and some of your team mates dont have any. I can understand calling the 8. I play BCAPL where you are supposed to call non obvious shots. I always point to the pocket before I shoot the 8 in, if its a bank or carom I I watch for my opponent to acknowledge he saw me call my pocket. The problem with the not calling obvious shots is interpertation. Some guys dont call banks and combos, when I get someone that plays like that I will ask him to call his shots that are not obvious. If you dont do that you have guys playing a combo on balls that are near the jaws but they dont say which ball they are calling, they can make 1 of the 2 and say thats the one they were playing, how does anyone else know. You also have the guys that call everything but just kinda shrug their shoulders and cue, I know all of you know what I am talking about. They could be calling 1 of 3 or 4 balls in 3 pockets on the left or right of the table. They need to add a rule that your ball and pocket call has to be obvious to the opponent for some players. I would never call a foul on a straight in shot but I will ask a guy to call his ball and pocket on non obvious shots if he has not previously.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have integrity, I feel that is very important in this game. Too bad the other team and some of your team mates dont have any. I can understand calling the 8. I play BCAPL where you are supposed to call non obvious shots. I always point to the pocket before I shoot the 8 in, if its a bank or carom I I watch for my opponent to acknowledge he saw me call my pocket. The problem with the not calling obvious shots is interpertation. Some guys dont call banks and combos, when I get someone that plays like that I will ask him to call his shots that are not obvious. If you dont do that you have guys playing a combo on balls that are near the jaws but they dont say which ball they are calling, they can make 1 of the 2 and say thats the one they were playing, how does anyone else know. You also have the guys that call everything but just kinda shrug their shoulders and cue, I know all of you know what I am talking about. They could be calling 1 of 3 or 4 balls in 3 pockets on the left or right of the table. They need to add a rule that your ball and pocket call has to be obvious to the opponent for some players. I would never call a foul on a straight in shot but I will ask a guy to call his ball and pocket on non obvious shots if he has not previously.

The thing I don't like about so many rules in our league is they lead to a dead end. You can't do so and so. But it doesn't say what happens if you do. The other thing I don't like is when I ask for a ruling the league operator says "who are the players?". My answer is always the same, "It shouldn't matter".

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The thing I don't like about so many rules in our league is they lead to a dead end. You can't do so and so. But it doesn't say what happens if you do. The other thing I don't like is when I ask for a ruling the league operator says "who are the players?". My answer is always the same, "It shouldn't matter".
I once asked a room owner who ran major tournaments back in the 1970s why he didn't want to have a written set of rules available. His answer was that he wanted the rules flexible and known only to him so he could punish the players who needed to be punished.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always have the best advice.

Who the hell gets beat 10-0 by 'the worst player on the othrr team', and then has the balls to get mad too?

I fail to undrstand.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once asked a room owner who ran major tournaments back in the 1970s why he didn't want to have a written set of rules available. His answer was that he wanted the rules flexible and known only to him so he could punish the players who needed to be punished.

Management by objective. Drucker, deming, et al...i have always been a fan.
S.m.a.r.t.

>

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This guy isn't even that sophisticated. He has to pull out the rules and read them then can't decide what to do!! It also matters how late at night it is and how much he has had to drink.

skipbales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Surprise Visit

Yesterday my "angry player" stopped by for the first time since the tournament a month ago. I was surprised, he was totally apologetic. He said "I am honest with myself. It wasn't you and I was never mad at you. I am a sore loser. I was mad at myself for losing, the other team because they were jerks and the league operator because he would not take a stand but mostly at myself. I thought I could control my temper but I guess not yet. If I can't play without getting mad I need to not play. I just wanted to apologize to you."

He is sitting out this season but may try again next season.

I thank all of you for the support and your comments.