Cataract surgery

Manoman2444

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haven't had it, but everyone I know that has, could see a whole lot better after. Would think it would have to help see better playing.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Removing the Caratact should improve vision, as what you have now is like looking through clear glass. With valaline smeared on it.

Friend said after the Surgury in both eyes, everything was brighter, and sharper.

FYI

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Cataract Surgery

I had it done on both eyes...the first in 2003 and the second in 2005. I was almost blind due to the cataract in the first eye I had done. The second wasn't as bad. The surgery went fine and now I have very good vision in both eyes and don't even need to wear glasses.

Luckily I had Blue Cross/Blue Shield premium health insurance at work which paid the entire bill. It was about $8K per eye and that was 10 years ago.

Hope this helps

Wedge

sonny_burnett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll let you know soon. First eye on the 12th. Second a week later. Dr predicted reading glasses only. I played my best on contacts when that was an option. Good luck.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I had it done on both eyes...the first in 2003 and the second in 2005. I was almost blind due to the cataract in the first eye I had done. The second wasn't as bad. The surgery went fine and now I have very good vision in both eyes and don't even need to wear glasses.

Luckily I had Blue Cross/Blue Shield premium health insurance at work which paid the entire bill. It was about $8K per eye and that was 10 years ago.

Hope this helps

Wedge

Why was the bill 8K/EYE. Special implant lenes?

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
No

Why was the bill 8K/EYE. Special implant lenes?

It was just clear acrylic lenses that they implanted. There was no prescription...just clear. Hope this helps Coco! Not sure what the same surgery would cost now days but I bet it is around $10K per eye. Getting old sucks!!!

Wedge

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Unless something goes wrong you're vision should go to 20/20.
If something does go wrong, however, you'll at least get to wear a really cool eye patch. :smile:

bstroud

Deceased
I was going blind and had to stop making cues.

It was just not cataract surgery but some other problems as well.

I had a total of 7 operations including lens replacement and now can see just as well as I could when I was 17.

For playing pool it is a revelation. Everything is clear as a bell.

Make sure you find the best eye doctor in your area. You can't go back very easily.

Bill S.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
It was just clear acrylic lenses that they implanted. There was no prescription...just clear. Hope this helps Coco! Not sure what the same surgery would cost now days but I bet it is around $10K per eye. Getting old sucks!!!

Wedge

Getting old is not for sissies.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
My sister had both eyes done about two months ago. She was nearly blind at the time. Now she has perfect 20-20 vision in both eyes and can see for the first time in many years.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was going blind and had to stop making cues.

It was just not cataract surgery but some other problems as well.

I had a total of 7 operations including lens replacement and now can see just as well as I could when I was 17.

For playing pool it is a revelation. Everything is clear as a bell.

Make sure you find the best eye doctor in your area. You can't go back very easily.

Bill S.

Very sound advice.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless something goes wrong you're vision should go to 20/20.

That's not really true.
Many of those procedures go very well, i.e. nothing goes wrong, and people still need reading glasses.
Maybe just +1's but still the need is often there.

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had surgery on one eye and then the other 10 months later. My vision was vastly improved and I felt safe driving again (I was probably a menace before surgery). But to my great disappointment, I didn't see any big difference in playing pool. I find that very surprising.

larry732

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After you heal recheck your your eyes for dominance. Mine changed from right to left.

the chicken

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had cataract surgery on both eyes last year. I have an astigmatism which was not corrected (due to cost).
Prior to surgery, my only problem when shooting pool was glare and reflection from the table light.
Now, I see well enough that I don't need to wear glasses when I shoot.
However, to really see a shot clearly, I have to blink several times, otherwise the edge of the balls start to look fuzzy. That is to say, my fake eye lenses seem to require more tears to stay hydrated to the point where my vision isn't affected. I don't have any problems with dry or itchy eyes, but blinking does help clear things up.
Shoot safe.
John