Have you ever been to a Pro event?

JBailey

Registered
I'm sure many of the people who post here do attend events or, at least have attended, but I'm wondering how many are like me?

I have never been to a Pro event. I have been playing pool for 13 years and I have never met a pro or watched one play live.

I find this sad. I have spent so much time practicing, learning, playing, and competing, yet I have never watched, met, or supported the best players.

I have read quite a few articles on helping pool. It seems to me that the easiest thing for me to do to help pool would be to attend an event.
By adding one more fan to the stands I have; helped pay for the event, helped raise attendance, and had an opportunity to learn by observing top players.

I will attend an event this year.

OTB

I DIDN'T DO IT!!!!
Silver Member
Glass city open............thanksgiving weekend.

I'm sure many of the people who post here do attend events or, at least have attended, but I'm wondering how many are like me?

Glass city open............thanksgiving weekend.

I have never been to a Pro event. I have been playing pool for 13 years and I have never met a pro or watched one play live.

I find this sad. I have spent so much time practicing, learning, playing, and competing, yet I have never watched, met, or supported the best players.

I have read quite a few articles on helping pool. It seems to me that the easiest thing for me to do to help pool would be to attend an event.
By adding one more fan to the stands I have; helped pay for the event, helped raise attendance, and had an opportunity to learn by observing top players.

tomgearhart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pro Events

OTB is right. There will be plenty of pros at the Glass City Open 8-ball Team Championship this Thanksgiving weekend in Toledo, OH. If you want more information, go to: GlassCityOpen.com

S

skip

I have not been to a event since Clyde Childers. Man that was so long ago I think 86. Hope if health holds up I will make the DCC up coming. Hope to meet some AZers. :smile:

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Was playing a littel bit with Max Eberle a little last week. Great player and a very nice guy.

Im very lucky to have Bobby Chamberlain in my area. He's one hell of a pro i get to play with on a steady basis!! Im a very blessed person :thumbup:

Runnintable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pro tours

I am not sure where you live?
Use this site and/or Inside Pool to research the various Pool Tours that come through or around your vicinity. Then plan a quick trip. Familiarize yourself with all the PoolHalls in your local area. What rooms host tours and weekly tournaments. Enter and play in one!
You want to see a pro play cheap go on the internet and view some livestream events, youtube video files, and Accustat videos.

Another thing you could do is plan a pool vacation to one of the big Mecca tournaments like the US Open in Va. or the Derby City Classic.

Zbotiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"GREAT attitude!"

Amen to that! You are exactly what the Sport of Pool desperately needs, TRUE fans! I hope you have the best time ever and get to see some of today's greats!

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
problem with supporting the event is, the entry fee is just a little more than the vip pass. Pay the entry fee and get the best seat in the house.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i've been to the BCA Open 9-Ball tournament in Las Vegas at the Riviera back in '99, '01, and '02. also went to the WPBA Midwest Open at Peoria in '02, '03, '04, and '05. was at the Senior U.S. Open at French Lick back in '99.

I would say my impressions of the pool pros are similar to my impressions of the golf pros i have seen in person. nothing spectacular about them, just more consistent than most of the other players.

very glad i went to all of these pool and golf tournaments. hoping to get the fever back for pool this winter and perhaps attend something next summer. would love to see the WPBA Midwest Classic come back to Peoria instead of northern Indiana.

DCP

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been to several and they are interesting. If you are not part of the scene it can get boring and frustrating. In general, I prefer to watch on the net (or TV). I went to the US open a few years ago, had to sit the bleachers and watched the final match on a large screen TV at the other end of the arena.

I usually enjoy my self at these events but it is best to bring a friend or two, unless you are part of the group.

Pool is better on TV (or similar) because the field is small and you usually can't get close enough to really see what is going on.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
problem with supporting the event is, the entry fee is just a little more than the vip pass. Pay the entry fee and get the best seat in the house.

TWO THUMBS UP FOR THAT SUGGESTION.

It is the best of both worlds for sure!

The pros will enjoy spanking you and they will often even make suggestions on how to improve your game if you are polite to them and don't scare them too much by trying to shoot their nutz in. :D

"Popeye"

living vicariously
Silver Member
Went to DCC last year. Best event I've been to. Been to vegas for BCA and VNEA over ten times and watched a bunch of pro events, but next year I'm going back to DCC and will play in the banks. As noted, it's better to be part of the action rather than watching it.
Cheers, Mark

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you are as big a fan of the game of pool as you say, you owe it to yourself to attend some pro events. You will get to see the best in the world playing the game you love and you will learn a lot just by watching closely. Most of the other attendees are very friendly and it is not difficult to stike up a conversation about one of the matches or players. I have made some great friends at these events.
The two events I would most recommend are the Super Billiards Expo at Valley Forge, Pa. and the U.S. Open in Chesapeake, Va. These are two of the best events in the world and I try my best to get to both each year. Another event is Derby City, which is supposed to be very good too, but I haven't made it there yet. Any one of these events would make a great vacation for a pool fan.
I would recommend getting to any of these events during the early rounds. The crowds are thinner and you can move around to see your favorite players. Crowds get larger for the final rounds and seating gets tighter. At the U.S. Open, if you plan early, you can get reserved, VIP, seating and you will be guaranteed your seat.
You owe it to yourself to plan a pool vacation. Do it and have the time of your life. :grin:

If you can't get to one of the major pro tournaments, there are many regional tournaments around the country and great players, and even some pros, show up at these tournaments. Check them out and you may event want to enter.

fsarfino

♔ ♕ ♖ ♗ ♘ ♙
Went to the DCC last year and had a great time. I'm hoping I can make it this year also !

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Yes I have been to pro events. Hearing professional pool players talk reminds me of being in a different country. Their humor is difficult to understand. Their accents are enough comedy for myself.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
I have been to the Reno Open and the Japan Open, both I would definitely go to again. Even if you don't cash, the experience that you get playing great players and watching them play in person over a long period is more than worth the entry.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I've been to just a few and it was a blast! I went by myself and still had fun. People were friendly. The pros talking together included me in the conversations. All I had to do was be humble and sincere. No bs.

I'd love to go to the US 9 Ball Open and/or the DCC but can't get away... that and the IRS just put some hurt on me. :groucho:

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i sweated some of the pro 10 ball when i was in vegas. meeting corey duel was probably the coolest pool related thing that's happened to me. i just wish i hadn't been 100% drunk when i ran into him. i drank a lot when i was in vegas!!!!!!!! i was either drunk or hung over the entire time

corey has always been my favorite player to watch

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
Pro Events

Been to the SBE about 8 times and the World Straight Pool Championship last year. Going to this year's Straight Pool Championship later this week and can't wait!

I'm blessed to live in an area that has always been rick in pool talent - Northeast, PA. Had the opportunity to watch or play - Leo Galli, Lester Smulowitz, Jim Rempe, Dave Daya, Ed Matashoneck, Pat McNally, Bruce Nagle, Kevin Clark, etc.